PDA

View Full Version : Two Offensive Line Names To Keep In Mind

LifetimeBillsFan
02-17-2006, 04:56 AM
As many have already pointed out, the Bills' biggest weaknesses on their offensive line are at the guard and center positions. These are positions that most anticipate that the Bills are likely to look to shore up in free agency. While just about everyone has New Orleans' center LeCharles Bentley and Seattle guard Steve Hutchinson at the top to their list of free agent offensive linemen to pursue, the sad fact is that Hutchinson isn't likely to leave Seattle and the Bills will have a lot of competition for Bentley from other teams that also recognize that he is the top offensive lineman other than Hutchinson in the current free agent crop.

In the likely event that the Bills can't sign both Bentley and Hutchinson--I'll settle for Bentley, but just in case....--the New York Daily News has reported that, in order to get down under the salary cap, the Jets are likely to release at least one--and perhaps two--offensive linemen that the Bills should be familiar with and who might be able to help the Bills: guard Pete Kendall and center Kevin Mawae.

"Several players are expected to be released, including Ty Law, Jay Fiedler, Jason Fabini, Pete Kendall and, possibly, Kevin Mawae."
(URL: http://www.nydailynews.com/02-15-2006/sports/football/jets/story/391510p-332068c.html

While Mawae is 35 and may not be quite the force that he used to be, he would still be an upgrade over Trey Teague and Rock Preston in the short-term (unless Preston comes to mini-camp a whole lot stronger than he was last season). Despite his age and the fact that he probably won't come cheap, Mawae has recently been a Pro Bowler and could serve as an experienced anchor for the Bills' rebuilt offensive line as well as a tutor for the young Preston. Unlike Trey Teague, who couldn't teach Preston how to successfully handle big DTs like Vince Wilfork, etc. because he couldn't do that himself, Mawae knows what it takes to deal with virtually every kind of defensive tackle and could better prepare Preston to handle the position so that he doesn't get knocked back into his QB's face constantly the way he was this season.

Kendall, who is 32 and was someone that many Bills fans thought the team should have signed when he was released by Arizona, is an even more intriguing possibilty because, in addition to being younger than Mawae, he can play both guard and center. While he's not in the same class as Mawae, Kendall did start at center for the Jets when Mawae was injured this season and was very solid for the Jets starting at guard in his stint with them. Kendall is a guy who should not be that expensive. At the very least, he would give the Bills a solid, versatile back-up in the middle of their offensive line, but IMHO would be an instant upgrade over Benny Anderson. If the Bills draft an interior offensive lineman (guard or center) in this year's draft, with Kendall, they would not have to start the kid immediately and Kendall could help to groom the rookie until he is ready to take over the position.

The preliminary list of free agent offensive linemen is not that deep in terms of players with the ability to step in and start immediately. Kendall and Mawae are two guys who could, at least for a year or two. So, while they have not been released by the Jets yet, it might be a good idea to keep their names in mind as possible options that the Bills might be able to look to should they not be able to sign Bentley or Hutchinson. Even if the Bills do draft a pretty good young offensive lineman or two in this draft, they are still going to need to have some solid veterans who are able to start for them and play creditably this season because very few offensive linemen--even the very best--are ready to step in and start as rookies before the middle of their first season.

alohabillsfan
02-17-2006, 07:09 AM
The jets went through a half dozen QB's last season I don't know if I want any of their O-linemen!

Jan Reimers
02-17-2006, 07:39 AM
I'd take Bentley and OT Jeff Backus in a heart beat.

THATHURMANATOR
02-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Mawae should get a look.

gr8slayer
02-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Mawae should get a look.
I would rather take my chances with Preston. Mawae is great and all but he is old and very isomewhat injury prone.

Night Train
02-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Kendell is not a bad idea at all. Another OL from the " Flying under the radar " list is OT Jon Runyon of Philly. He is also 32 but can still put people away in the running game.

Players like this are more realistic and are still a huge upgrade over what we currently have on our roster.

casdhf
02-17-2006, 08:18 AM
The Eagles had a running game?

tampabay25690
02-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Bentley should be 1st on BILLS list he would be the backbone of this line for many years....

Philagape
02-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Kendall, who is 32 and was someone that many Bills fans thought the team should have signed when he was released by Arizona

:wave:

It's hard to imagine a bigger difference between what we could have had and what we ended up with. (head coach notwithstanding)

Philagape
02-17-2006, 08:48 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=52000&highlight=Kendall

LifetimeBillsFan
02-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Bentley should be 1st on BILLS list he would be the backbone of this line for many years....

Bentley SHOULD be 1st on the Bills list, but, realistically, he is going to be 1st on a number of teams' lists and the Bills also have to be prepared for the possibility that someone else may sign him--remember, it may not always be a matter of dollars, families and personalities, etc. become issues as well and we don't always know what the player's priorities are when it comes to choosing a team. Just because we fans want our team to go after a certain free agent, that doesn't mean that our team will end up signing that free agent, even if they agree and do everything in their power to sign him. Sometimes what the player wants is not what we, the fans of a certain team (in this case, the Bills) want.

Great post Philagape!

patmoran2006
02-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Great post.

As far as Bentley, I agree he SHOULD be our first priority. But for whatever reason, Priority #1 for Marv seems to be locking up Nate and getting Moulds back. It's looking EARLY like Marv isnt looking at many changes, so I'm not sure we'll have the money to sign Bentley anymore.

Ingtar33
02-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Mawae was a sad shell of himself last season.

Anyone watching him at all would have been thanking our lucky stars we have Teague at center. Two years ago i would have lept at Mawae. Not any more. He's way over the hill.

casdhf
02-17-2006, 09:51 AM
ING, Can Duke cut it at C??

Philagape
02-17-2006, 10:37 AM

Anyone watching him at all would have been thanking our lucky stars we have Teague at center. Two years ago i would have lept at Mawae. Not any more. He's way over the hill.

I don't care if the alternative was Napoleon Dynamite, I'm not thanking anything for Teague.

Bill Brasky
02-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Yeah, like the Bills need to downgrade by picking up garbage from the Meadowlands. I'll pass.

Spend the $ on Bentley Marv!

Bill Cody
02-17-2006, 02:12 PM

He only played 6 games last year.

Bill Cody
02-17-2006, 02:15 PM
We will draft Nick Mangold of OSU in round 2. He will anchor the middle of the Bills line for the next decade. Problem solved.