Bucs are going to be good for a long time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Bucs are going to be good for a long time!

The Bucs are about $2.5 million over the cap for 2003 and should easily be able to trim the required salaries. They won't be able to spend like drunken pirates in free agency, but they should be able to do some modest spending.

So the NFL's No. 1-ranked defense is going to stay loaded.

The Bucs' biggest stars all are in their prime. Linebacker Derrick Brooks, the NFL defensive player of the year, is 29. Defensive tackle Warren Sapp is 30. Defensive tackle Anthony McFarland, who didn't even play in the Super Bowl because of injury, is 25. Defensive end Simeon Rice is 30. Cornerback Ronde Barber is 27. Safety John Lynch is 31.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• don137
    • Jul 2002

One thing the Bucs had going for them is they were relatively healthy this year...They are quite impressive. Gruden is a stud of a coach. The thing that impressed me most about him is he really brought out the strengths of Brad Johnson

Comment

• Wys Guy
      Drew and Sam stole all my hair
      • Jul 2002

How could they possibly be that good with only a QB who hasnt' done much in 9 seasons and w/o a huge name at QB and one who breaks all kinds of attempt records?

I'm perplexed!

Totally agree w/ that article. If we were to make the SB next year or the following, there's a strong liklihood that we'd face them. More reason to bolster our rushing game and fix the D this offseason, eh.
      Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Patrick76777
        • Jul 2002

I disagree……of course…….it’s much too difficult to get there time and again. The Bucs are good, but Brad Johnson had a career year, and was lucky to get thru with only small injuries and they have a TERRIBLE running game! This team was known as the biggest chock artists in the league for about 6 years. One Superbowl can not fully exorcise those demons. They’ll be the top dog next year and teams will be looking to take them out. They’ll be in a division with very good Saints and Falcons teams and an improving Panthers team. A conference with the Eagles and Niners who will be making changes to make a run and also a very good Giants team. Not too mention any team that may decide to surprise us all and make a run. It’ll be a very tough road for the Bucs. They’re good, and they deserve the win, but I don’t think they’re up with the greatest teams ever. The teams that have been able to repeat.
        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

"How could they possibly be that good with only a QB who hasnt' done much in 9 seasons and w/o a huge name at QB and one who breaks all kinds of attempt records?"

You see WYS in making this comment you are almost saying that it is possible for Bledsoe to do it also. If Brad Johnson can win a super bowl why do you think it is so Impossible that Bledsoe could win one? I think its fair to say that Bledsoe is a better QB than Johnson. I know, I know TB is all about defense, but you know what I mean.

Comment

• Wys Guy
            • Jul 2002

The Bucs "team" may not have been that good all the way around. But their defense is w/o question among the best that has ever played in the NFL. Their win simply shows how important defense is in winning. Year in and year out teams w/ top Ds win the SB w/ only rare exceptions. Their STs wasn't stellar either.

Perhaps we have an overemphasis on offense.

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
            "How could they possibly be that good with only a QB who hasnt' done much in 9 seasons and w/o a huge name at QB and one who breaks all kinds of attempt records?"

You see WYS in making this comment you are almost saying that it is possible for Bledsoe to do it also. If Brad Johnson can win a super bowl why do you think it is so Impossible that Bledsoe could win one? I think its fair to say that Bledsoe is a better QB than Johnson. I know, I know TB is all about defense, but you know what I mean.
            "If Brad Johnson can win a super bowl"

And you are admitting that it was Brad Johnson who "won it" when in fact it was their entire team. Pittman played well b/c the OL did, the D played well in spite of anything that BJ did. Gruden, enough said.

Brad Johnson should be a perfect testimony that yardage passing records and number of times a QB puts the ball up in a season are virtually meaningless in gauging how good a "team" is.

You fail to grasp the "team" concept if you really believe that Johnson "won the Super Bowl" for the Bucs.

If not, then why would it have been so unfathomable for us to have made the playoffs w/ a decent DL and with Blake or Chandler at QB?

BTW, Johnson's lifetime TD/INT ratio is much better than Drews. As well, Johnson tossed 22 TDs, 2 shy of Drew, w/ only 6 INTs in several fewer games and on about 200 fewer attempts and with about 1,300 fewer yards!

If yards and attempts mean so stinkin' much, then how come that was the case? Seems to me that Johnson outplayed Drew this year on a team w/ only a fraction of the tools and a worse OL. I suppose that means that Johnson's better than your boy Drew, eh.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
              • Jul 2002

Here's to hopin' that Drew doesn't turn the ball over another 18 times in our 7 toughest games next season again.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                Legendary Zoner
                • Jul 2002

Johnson didn't win it, Gannon lost it. That's a big difference.

Comment

• Voltron
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy

Here's to hopin' that Drew doesn't turn the ball over another 18 times in our 7 toughest games next season again.

Will it ever end!? You have now said this in at least 4 different posts I have seen Wys. We get the point you don't care for Drew!

Last edited by Voltron; 01-28-2003, 11:59 AM.
                  Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
                  - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                  -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
                  - Mark Twain

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Their win simply shows how important defense is in winning. Year in and year out teams w/ top Ds win the SB w/ only rare exceptions. Their STs wasn't stellar either.

With that statment wys, why is it you put so much emphasis on Drew losing 7 or 8 game instead of looking at our D. You love to put Drew down and yet you look away when it is time to give Drew credit where credit is due. He may not have been the greatest but he has broken qb records "IN HIS FIRST YEAR"w/c has to account for something.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• kgun12
                      • Jul 2002

Lord I agree with you 100%, the only thing that can stop the Bucs is the Bucs. It will depennd how they handle the SB victory. Some teams go crazy after the win and forget about off season conditioning and not ready for the next season. If they stay focus and no big injuries watch out!
                      Retired Air Traffic Controller
                      USAF VETERAN
                      DAV

Comment

• Wys Guy
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                        Johnson didn't win it, Gannon lost it. That's a big difference.
                        OK then.

And I say that it was the Buc D that forced Gannon into all those errors and that he didn't instantaneously combust performance wise.

I'll stand with just about every football analyst in the country on that one. At least it's a big island.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Jul 2002

TB's defense is overrated. Gannon had horrible judgement and accuracy. I wouldn't be surprised if he threw the game.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

"And you are admitting that it was Brad Johnson who "won it" when in fact it was their entire team."

No I was clearly saying that the Team won the game with a QB the calibur of Brad Johnson at the helm. Nothing more. Nothing less!!!

"Here's to hopin' that Drew doesn't turn the ball over another 18 times in our 7 toughest games next season again."

I will toast to that!!!

Comment

• lordofgun
                              in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                              • Jul 2002

It never would have even occured to me to hope for that.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X