PDA

View Full Version : Follow Up Comments to Davis & Lewis

patmoran2006
02-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Yesterday I wrote a post suggesting the Bills should trade down, and draft either Vernon Davis or Marcedes Lewis at TE with their first pick.

I'd like further elaborate on a few points, in hopes they make sense.

* If Brick is there at Number eight, we take him. End of story. However, I don't think he's going to be there. After Brick, there is a significant dropoff in talent at tackle. Nobody is worthy of a #8 pick and you'd have to trade down pretty far in the draft to justify taking a tackle first.

*There is plenty of depth at DT in the draft, perhaps more than any other position. Ngata is the best of the bunch, but he has his flaws and I'm not sure I pick him at #8. Now, if this was the 2005 draft and the Bills defense was second-ranked in the league the year before and we lost Pat Williams pre-draft, then I'd plug him there in a minute. There are a number of quality DT's you can get in round 2.

* With depth at DT, the trade with Atlanta to move down to #15 and go TE makes sense to me. You'd have a pair of second rounders. You can take the best DT with one of those and the top guard with the other. I am thoroughly convinced that if Buffalo makes ONE key free agency move, that it NEEDS to be signing a VETERAN LT who has ESTABLISHED ability. Jon Runyon would be at the top of the wish-list, but is probably too expensive. Jeff Backus (who played for Jauron) is a player more affordable Buffalo should take a long look at. Tom Ashworth from NE would be a nice upgrade over Gandy.

(If you sign a solid LT to go with Peters, Villarrial and Preston coupled with a day one guard from the draft, you're O-line is a lot better than it was in 2005.)

* I think in THIS offense with our QB's, having a TE who is a huge threat will help our QB situation a lot. Put it this way, is it coincidence that Brees started becoming a "great" QB after the emergence of Gates? I think not.

Holcomb gets rid of the ball quick. A TE who can take a 5-yarder and turn it into 25 is huge. For JP, it may help him learn not too hold on the ball for so long knowing he has Davis or Lewis over the middle.

* At no point did I declare TE a position of need. I tried to describe it as a potential spot that could make our ENTIRE offense more efficient. A solid tight end would take pressure off the receievers and off McGahee.

ChristopherWalken
02-19-2006, 12:48 PM
There are 3 top tier, low risk, no-brainer, defensive prospects the Bills will have to choose from at # 8 overall.

Ngata, Mario Williams, and Hawk.

With all this talk of Young going in the top 5, and now Cutler appearing on Mock boards, one of the above mentioned defensive monsters will be available for the Bills to draft.

With these type of guys on the board, it makes no sense to pass them up.

Then the Bills have to go OG in the second round.

They don't need an OT and Brick will not make it past the first 5 picks.

Devin
02-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Hawk and Williams will be gone before 8. After the Combine Hawk may jump up to 4.

He bulked up 13 pounds to 248, with 7.8% body fat. He also ran 4.6 40's consistantly.

"A DB in a LB's body"

That kid is going to be a monster.

ChristopherWalken
02-19-2006, 12:56 PM
That's fine, Ngata will then be available for the taking.

OpIv37
02-19-2006, 01:06 PM
I could see TE being a position of need, depending on how Everett shapes up. Campbell and Euhus are so mediocre it isn't even funny. The Bills haven't had a TE with YAC ability in about a decade.

dolphinssuck
02-19-2006, 01:50 PM
That's fine, Ngata will then be available for the taking.If so then the Bills need to jump on him. Although Id love to see the Bills get Williams.

gr8slayer
02-19-2006, 02:32 PM
I want Vernon Davis.

Jan Reimers
02-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Yeah, let's take a TE early and ignore our critical O line and D needs, just like Tom Donahoe did year after year.

After all, a great TE is the absolute key to every team's success.

The_Philster
02-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Yeah, let's take a TE early and ignore our critical O line and D needs, just like Tom Donahoe did year after year.

After all, a great TE is the absolute key to every team's success.
you know, Jan...I'm gonna have to send you the repair bills for my sarcastometer if you're gonna keep doing that :ill: