PDA

View Full Version : Silly question about TE in draft!

kgun12
02-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Ok here is the question, it is our turn to pick at #8, during FA we got Hutchinson at G and Bentley for C, T. Washington at DT and kept S. Adams. V. Davis TE and D. Ferguson OT are both there; who do you pick?

(I know this is dumb because there is no way we could possibly get all that done in FA, but that's my point, taking a TE in the first round with all the holes on this team is as crazy as my question, but all the geat teams throughout history and all playoff teams have one thing in common GREAT O-lines, not great TE's. Sorry I just don't see a 5-11 team taking a TE in the 1st round.

Even if all this didn't happen during FA and Davis and Ferguson are there at # 8 some of you would actually take Davis?

Besides many of the draft boards show a lot of good TE's there in the 3rd round like Dominique Byrd - USC.

Tatonka
02-19-2006, 10:54 PM
if we got hutch and bently.. i would move peters to LT and put gandy at rt.

then take davis. :D

T-Long
02-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Davis is unreal. I hate to pass him up but we HAVE to address the lines. It sucks knowing that this guy is a freak and is going to be awesome for years to come, but the Donahue era is over...and the thinking of the "best available" is long gone.

Bill Brasky
02-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Ok here is the question, it is our turn to pick at #8, during FA we got Hutchinson at G and Bentley for C, T. Washington at DT and kept S. Adams. V. Davis TE and D. Ferguson OT are both there; who do you pick?

:rofl: Hutchinson, Bently, Washington and Furgeson? Not only would Marv have to be the best GM of all time, but he also must have some deal with the NFL where he doesn't abide by the salary cap.

Bmax
02-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Is this a fantasy league ?

Bmax

mysticsoto
02-20-2006, 07:50 AM
If it's between Brick and Davis, you still take Brick! Don't you understand? Brick will be a phenomenal LT for 10 years. We don't even know what our own TEs can do b'cse they are always blocking! Get real O-linemen to handle the blocking and send our own TEs out and you might find that they are actually not as bad as you think!

kgun12
02-20-2006, 09:57 AM
:rofl: Hutchinson, Bently, Washington and Furgeson? Not only would Marv have to be the best GM of all time, but he also must have some deal with the NFL where he doesn't abide by the salary cap.

That is why I called it a "Silly" question! The point is we have neglected our line for so long that it will take a lot of work, time and money to make it one of the better ones in the league. Sad really since having a good line has been the formula for success in football since the being of the game.

ICE74129
02-20-2006, 09:58 AM

(I know this is dumb because there is no way we could possibly get all that done in FA, but that's my point, taking a TE in the first round with all the holes on this team is as crazy as my question, but all the geat teams throughout history and all playoff teams have one thing in common GREAT O-lines, not great TE's. Sorry I just don't see a 5-11 team taking a TE in the 1st round.

Even if all this didn't happen during FA and Davis and Ferguson are there at # 8 some of you would actually take Davis?

Besides many of the draft boards show a lot of good TE's there in the 3rd round like Dominique Byrd - USC.

Even with all of those FA moves (that we won't make) I either take the Best DE on the board (if warranted) or trade down.

kgun12
02-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Even with all of those FA moves (that we won't make) I either take the Best DE on the board (if warranted) or trade down.

OK everyone needs to relax on the FA moves part of this, this was suppose to bring alittle levity to the silly TE for the Bills in the 1st round.

If D. Ferguson is there at #8 I was asumming that the top DE an DT were gone. That is about the onlly way I think Ferguson is there at #8.

ShadowHawk7
02-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Even if we got Washington, if Brick wasn't there, I'd go either Ngata or Mario(if available). Big Sam and Ted have like 80 years b/w them, and we should start developing a dominant force for next year at either DE or DT now.

Saratoga Slim
02-20-2006, 03:06 PM
if we got hutch and bently.. i would move peters to LT and put gandy at rt.

then take davis. :D

If we got hutch and bentley....I would have a ******* heart attack. I seriously don't know if I could handle it. I still might take Brick if he was there at 8 though. Brick-Hutch-Bentley-Villarial/Preston-Peters. That would be a helluva line, JP could read the f-in newspaper waiting for the receivers to get open.

X-Era
02-20-2006, 03:32 PM

X-Era
02-20-2006, 03:37 PM

Why many of these thoughts are silly:

1) With or without Hutch, there is no G worth the 8 pick
2) With or without Bentley, there is no C worth the 8 pick
3) Ted Washington can be had with average cap coin, and probably after the draft. If you want Washington theres no need to draft a DT with the 8 pick
4) Ngata, as said by McKay and others is NOT worthy of the 8 pick as of now.
5) D'Brick is a top 5 pick and wont drop to 8
6) If D'Brick isnt there, and Ngata aint worth the 8 pick, and Clements gets tagged, and based on the top 6 points, why NOT take Davis!

To many ands, ifs, and buts right now. But I can easily see that Davis is our pick at 8 if things go as expected.

Just to dig a bit deeper:

I agree with all of you that OL, mainly G and C is our biggest need. Some may argue that Peters cant play LT, making LT a need, I disagree and think that we can move Peters to LT and draft a RT later.

Now, Like I said before, no G or C is worth a 8 pick.

And, only D'Brick is worthy of a 8 pick out of any of the players on the O-line.

And, NO DT is worthy of the 8 pick.

Clements is about to get tagged, so Jimmy Williams and Mike Huff are out too.

So, unless you want to take a DE, any O-liner and any DT is a reach at 8.

Meaning, we better start thinking about other positions with our 8 pick, and then fill most of our needs later. Or of course trade down.

TE, especially a Kellen Winslow type could be worth alot to our O. Davis is said by many to be one helluva TE prospect and I think hes better than Winslow.

Devin
02-20-2006, 05:49 PM
We sure have a lot of experts here.

:rolleyes:

kgun12
02-20-2006, 09:43 PM
We sure have a lot of experts here.

:rolleyes:

Yes we do, cause everyone know that a 5-11 team first priority should be TE at #8!

ublinkwescore
02-20-2006, 09:48 PM
The reason I wake up every morning...to look at my wallpaper!

:hungry:

Dozerdog
02-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Every season we go through this- "Let's pick a TE #1"

Every year I laugh.

FlyingDutchman
02-21-2006, 02:19 PM
a lot of people think that Davis is a better prospect than Kellen Winslow Jr. when he came out, however you HAVE to take Brick, or Williams if available. If both were gone, i would not be against taking Davis over Ngata at all.

Jan Reimers
02-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Just say "NO!" to a TE in the first round.