PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo is just an awesome place to live!

Mitchy moo
02-20-2006, 11:49 AM
I live here. I will do everything in my power to get a job here when im done with college. The only sad part of buffalo is the lack of jobs. But if you get a good job here its one of the best places to live.

The suburbs of the city along with the schools are some of the best in the nation. Amherst is the #2 safest place to live in ALL of America. You think kids that go to school in Atlanta Georgia suburbs get a good education? NO. The regents is exam makes NYS second only to Cali in terms of high school education. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Lecture.gif (http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/Lecture.gif))

Buffalo is the 3rd cleanest city in America. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif (http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif))
http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?c...223&pageIndex=3 (http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=15223&pageIndex=3)

In 2001 USA Today named Buffalo the winner of its "City with a Heart" contest, proclaiming it the nation's "friendliest city." Also in 1996 & 2002 Buffalo won the All-America City Award. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/remybussi.gif 34x15 pixels.gif (http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/remybussi.gif%2034x15%20pixels.gif))
http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~rapaport/Buffa...lo.ustoday.html (http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~rapaport/Buffalo/buffalo.ustoday.html)
You think giant cities like Chicago you will find people like you find here? NO

There are 4 wonderful seasons. If you hate winter then take up skiing and buy a snowmobile. I did and now I love when it snows out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerbang.gif 29x25 pixels.gif (http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/beerbang.gif%2029x25%20pixels.gif)) We have beaches to lay in and a lake to go boating and fish in. Do you think people in Denver get to enjoy these things? NO.

This topic is in response to the fool who started the topic saying buffalo sucks. The only people who think Buffalo sucks are the fools who live here and complain all the time. Most people in the nation really have no idea about our city for good or bad.

So If you live here now or have ever lived here bump this topic and show some support for our city. Players in the NFL go to where they get paid. But if they do come here, its one of the best places to live.

kgun12
02-20-2006, 12:07 PM
I would agree with this. I now live in Rochester and it is a totally different place. Buffalo is far safer, the murder RATE is higher here then NYC, the people are less friendly here, go to a neighborhood bar here and it is standoffish, go to the same type of bar in Buffalo and they treat you like you have been a regular for years. More teenage girls get pregant here then NYC (well maybe in this example rochester is friendlier lol ), 2-3 kids live below proverty in the city, and it is a minor league city not just in terms of the spots teams but there mental state is minor league. They build a new baseball stadium, no roof for the fans, we are the worlds imaging capital of the world and when they put the new baseball stadium in they also put up a light bright scoreboard like the Bills had in the 70's. The ferry flopped like a flounder (no surprize though, when they had the naming rights contest I sent in The Big Flop, didn't win, but was correct). The housing market while strong is way over priced as compared to Buffalo. I could go on with examples, but needles to say I agree with you skooby!

Ingtar33
02-20-2006, 12:17 PM
i miss buffalo.

i love it there and can't wait for the day i can end up living there again

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-20-2006, 12:32 PM
When you step back and look at Buffalo, it is hard to imagine how it ever got to the point it is now. There are so many great things about the area. That said, I think Buffalo is on it's way out of the gutter, and hopefully within my lifetime, I'll see and hear about Buffalo being one of the crown jewels of the US rather than a joke.

I've been all around the country, lived in 5 different states, and I can say for sure that Buffalo and WNY are as good as it gets.

THATHURMANATOR
02-20-2006, 12:37 PM
I Love Buffalo and will never move away! Finally I agree with Skooby!

ct bills fan
02-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Good post skooby!! agree 100%. I grew up in Hamburg, went St Francis then on to U.B. I felt I had to move to CT due to the lack of jobs, but, would have peferred to stay.

EM Bills Fan 80
02-20-2006, 02:23 PM
I agree completely, I'm 20 years old and although I haven't really got into the job hunt as of yet for a career, I plan on staying here my entire life. I love Buffalo! Hopefully all this stuff with the water front comes to fruition(sp?) because this city can be turned around quickly and if they would make this waterfront similar to the one in baltimore we could be booming. I've been a Bills season ticket holder for 3 years, entering my 4th and I plan on having them my entire life.

Bling
02-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Odd... how come nobody wants to play for the Bills?

Stewie
02-20-2006, 02:59 PM
What we have here are the six people who will still live in wny in 50 years

kgun12
02-20-2006, 03:07 PM

I don't understand your statement!
Like who? We do ok with the FA we target. The only thing that gets in the way is money or the fact that Donahoe/wilson wouldn't pay them. We have done very well over the years in FA.

The_Philster
02-20-2006, 03:13 PM
were you ever planning on making any intelligent comments? :huh:

THATHURMANATOR
02-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Nope. I know a lot of younger people who will be staying and even a couple friends that moved away who will be coming back.

kgun12
02-20-2006, 03:20 PM

First it's only 5 people, second whats your point. I think by the 5 that still live there makes the point how much love living there are you add to the point of the thread with your post. :bullseye: Buffalo is a great place to live.

gr8slayer
02-20-2006, 04:09 PM
I want to move to Buffalo :(

TedMock
02-20-2006, 06:37 PM
i miss buffalo.

i love it there and can't wait for the day i can end up living there again

Same here! Work took us away, but hopefully we'll be back sooner than later.

ParanoidAndroid
02-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Nope. I know a lot of younger people who will be staying and even a couple friends that moved away who will be coming back.

I live in Virginia and while the weather is mild and Spring is fantastic, I still miss Buffalo and plan on moving back to the Elmwood/Delaware district and buying a home near the park.
I used to go to the Pink and besides BJ's in Fredonia, there is no better as far as dives go. The bars and the nightlife are something Virginia cannot offer. It's also one big huge sprawling suburb with WAL*MART's every 5 miles here. Disgusting.
Someday, there will be an exodus back into the cities because it is practical as far as energy conservation. I plan to beat the mad rush and invest in Buffalo real estate while it is cheap. Those beautiful turn of the century homes with exquisite woodwork and leaded glass windows will be selling like hotcakes!
I agree, Skooby! Buffalo is awesome!

footballhottie
02-20-2006, 07:12 PM
only thing ill miss about buffalo is the bills and the 4 o'clock bar close. and and the wings.

Dr. Lecter
02-20-2006, 07:16 PM
only thing ill miss about buffalo is the bills and the 4 o'clock bar close. and and the wings.

You won't miss the people?

Turf
02-20-2006, 08:17 PM
If Buffalo had an economy it would be paradise.

Billscusey
02-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I travel two and a half hours to B-LO all the time from Canada, and I can honestly say that I love visiting! The city has been great to me every time!

Crisis
02-20-2006, 10:00 PM
I miss Buffalo. :(

Armpalm Ali Musch
02-20-2006, 10:21 PM
As much as I like Buffalo (lived here pretty much my whole life) I would still like to move to Europe. If Buffalo could get it going it would be great but I doubt that will happen.

Bmax
02-21-2006, 01:45 AM
I have lived other places .. And i have to say that expect for greensboro NC .. I thought buffalo was the best...I guess i just liked the job and the warmer weather in NC. THE WINGS AND PIZZA WAS AWFUL.... I moved back to Buffalo two and half years ago .. I didn't want to .. But it's been great.. Bought Bills season tickets, went to Deleware Park, Visted Niagara Falls for the first time in 15 years. I even went to my first sabres game. I guess life is just what you make it no matter where you live.. Buffalo has just been a whole lot better for me the second time around.

So the next time your out no matter where you are and somebody trashes this great city simply say it's a great place to live. Just visit one day i'm sure you will love it.. HAVE SOME WINGS and some pizza too while your there , but most importantly talk to to the people that are there .. For they are buffalo's greatest resource the life blood of the this great city that keeps it going day after day..

GO BILLS

GO BUFFALO

BMAX

ddaryl
02-21-2006, 02:48 AM
I don't think Buffalo is that great of a place, maybe someday it will return but IMO there is no where's near the level of investment needed to rebuild Buffalo to competing levels.

I'll NEVER consider moving back to Buffalo. It was hard for me to leave in 1997, but since then I know I have no reason to even consider returing.

1.) The weather sucks, to cold in Winter, to muggy in the summer, and consistently late springs.

2.) Job market blows when compared to so many other places. There are jobs in Buffalo, unfortunately there are not enough GREAT paying jobs with industry leading benefits. I don't find it wise to live in such a volatile place, where layoff from one job usually means years of misery looking for the next decent opportunity.

Now I'm not saying Buffalo is bad, its just not worth the extra efforts needed to stay on top IMO. There is also so many other awesome places to live, and IMO Buffalo does not even come close to.

I return to Buffalo to see friends and family, and I always look forward to leaving by the end of my trips.

but since I was born there and lived there for 27 years the Bills and Sabres will always be my 1st choice for sports franchises.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-21-2006, 05:57 AM
I grew up in Buffalo when there was still a lot of heavy industry in the area and left when the economy started going downhill and I couldn't find a job in the area. I still have a lot of family living in and around Buffalo and usually get back to see them at least once a year. I can't believe how much the area has changed and how much, in many respects, it has gotten better.

IMHO the worst thing about Buffalo is its political and business leadership--which has failed to take a broad enough view to attract enough new businesses and industries (especially in the new technologies) to improve the economy to the level that it should be at.

Buffalo has the potential to be a terrific city. With the way that the whole area has been cleaned up, the natural beauty of the area can be stunning and could make it a very attractive place to live. What it needs, however, is investment and commerce that will allow for a continuation of the clean-up and modernization of those parts of the area that still need it. But, that is going to take business and community leaders with vision who are not afraid to "think outside of the box" and bring bigger, wealthier and more powerful interests into the area who have the wherewithal to develop and expand the local economy. It is also going to have to take a concerted effort on the part of the residents of the area to put aside their own, local, petty interests and concerns about things that they cannot change and to work together to demand effective leadership in local government, business and the community.

While my health will never permit me to move back to Buffalo, I certainly hope that those of you who live in the area, who want to return there, and who care about the city and its future will try to find and perhaps even provide the kind of leadership and vision that Buffalo needs and deserves. I hope that rather than complaining or being satisfied with the things that you see that could be improved (or giving up on the area), you will come up with ideas that will continue to make Buffalo and the surrounding area better or, at the very least, stand up and demand those improvements from and in the leadership of the community.

The Buffalo area has a lot going for it and it really won't take that much for it to be one of the best cities in the country to live in. What it is lacking is only leadership with vision and an understanding that "if the pie gets bigger, so will everyone's slice of it". The region and its residents have everything else necessary to take it from there and make it a great city again. And, as Skooby pointed out so well in starting this thread, when you drive around the area and talk with the people, it doesn't take much to see that already.