31. Seattle Seahawks (13-3)
    Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida St.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5)
    Sinorice Moss, WR, Miami.

Any thoughs
  • TedMock
    • Jul 2002

Re: My mock draft

You're pretty close to what I was thinking. The Jets may also decide to go after Brees in FA. If not, I could easily see them taking Cutler. After that, D'Brick goes to Green Bay, or Buffalo. I don't think he's GB's first choice, but if he's there it's quite tempting. San Fran picked up Jennings last season, so they might not be as inclined to go after Brick. No way the Raiders take him. I'd love to get him, but I'd be happy if we landed Ngata, or Williams too.

Comment

• mysticsoto
      Too sober for this...
      • Apr 2004

Some of your picks I like. In fact, if the 1st 6 came down to what you took, I would love it. However, I doubt that the 49ers would take Brick when they spent a huge contract on Jonas Jennings last year - even if he is somewhat injury prone. That would then become two huge contracts for 1 position. Doubtful that the 49ers would do that when they have alot of other needs possibly at LB or DT. In fact, I could see them taking Ngata, leaving us Brick.

The picks then seem fine until Philly's pick at 14. I doubt Philly takes Hali when they are desperate for a WR. Given that Philly is a pass 1st team, however, they will probably drool over Vernon Davis (top TE) falling to them and take him instead. Philly with a top TE that has speed also will be lethal and give McNabb an extra weapon.

I'm not sure that the Fins would go with a DE as their 1st pick. They needed Safety help last year. Their Oline could use upgrades also. Even a young WR might be more important 1st. I could see them grabing Darnell Bing (S) most likely or McNeil (OT) in their 1st...even Santonio Holmes (WR) before they address their D-line. They could also use an outside LB - and Manny Lawson might be ideal for them in the 2nd rd...although he may be gone by then.
      Last edited by mysticsoto; 02-21-2006, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Tinboy
        • Aug 2004

I tried to think of all this but obvious I might have missed some things. I use NFL Draft Countdown as my main source, I used their Team needs page and their ranking page, so that's where I got most of my info. But I agree that 49'ers probably won't take Brick.

Anybody got any other good pages?

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
          • Apr 2005

good picks, I can see the 49ers taking Deangelo Williams though.

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Drafting DL that early feels like such a waste.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

I"m also not a fan of taking a big, "run-stuffer" DT that early in the draft either, especially when I don't think Ngata is THAT much better than the next 4-5 DT's in the draft.

There are a few positions where the best player at his spot is alot better than the next. I'd take one of these guys in a heart-beat at eight.
              Tackle- Brick
              End- Mario Williams
              LB- Hawk
              DB- Huff

If ANY of these guys are on the board when Buffalo picks, that's their man. If Cutler ends up going to New York at 4 (It is possible I suppose) then one of these guys will fall to us for sure.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Aug 2004

With Pennington turning down the Jets initial offer to renegotiate and Mangini being non-commital about Pennington's future with the team, it is looking more and more like Cutler may be their pick unless they can somehow trade up to snatch Leinart or Young in a big trade. (URL: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...p-333531c.html )

Also, I could see the Raiders going with Huff or even Ngata over Hawk, especially Huff.

The reasons being: 1.) the Raiders are pretty solid at LB with Keith Morrison and Danny Clark if they play primarily a 4-3; 2.) the Raiders' pass defense and run support from their safeties was awful last year, although Stu Schweigert did begin to come on at the end of the season, and they could really use a play-making safety with corner ability to work with their two young corners (if they let C.Woodson go, as is likely, Jimmy Williams could come into the picture because Stanford Routt struggled a lot last year in coverage); 3.) the interior of their defensive line is more of a problem than their linebacking corps because T.Washington is likely to be gone and W.Sapp is getting up there in age and they are facing the same kind of problem that the Bills have (Ngata might be a bit of a stretch with their pick, but he fills that need); 4.) the Raiders don't need another high-priced OT, they have one in R.Gallery.

If the Raiders pass on Hawk, the 49ers will probably jump on him, if Hawk is gone, they could take a very long look at J.Williams or Huff.

Reasons being: 1.) the 49ers could lose as many as 3 of their starting LBs to free agency and, while their LB corps is the strength of their defense, with the injuries they have had there, adding Hawk would help cushion the blow there, especially if they were to lose J.Peterson; 2.) while the 49ers could pick up offensive and defensive line help in the later rounds, if Hawk is not available or they choose to pass on him, their secondary was SO BAD last season that they would have to think twice about passing over a top-flight, big CB who could serve as an anchor for their secondary; 3.) with the money that they have tied up in J.Jennings and the importance to their defense of retaining as many of their free agent starting LBs as possible, they really cannot afford to tie up high first round money in another LT with all of the other needs that the team has, so it is unlikely that they would take Ferguson with their pick.

If D'Brickashaw Ferguson gets by Green Bay--who may snag Hawk, rather than Mario Williams (reason: the have KGB, but, other than N.Barnett, their LB corps is one of the worst in the NFL)--it is possible that he could slide down to the Bills if Oakland or SF do not trade down. I never like to predict first round trades in the draft because they are a lot easier to talk about than to accomplish, even when they appear to make sense for both teams. Still, especially in SF's case--where they have so many needs, but can satisfactorily address the most pressing a little later in the 1st round--if Ferguson is still on the board when they are up, it would make a lot of sense for them to take the best offer they can get in a trade-down with a team that could use a stud LT like Ferguson for their O-line and there is very likely to be a couple of teams in that category who would be willing to pull the trigger on a trade with SF to get him.

P.S.: If Hawk goes to GB over Mario Williams, Williams would be a better fit, IMHO, for the Raiders because he can play OLB, which is a position where the Raiders already are using larger converted college DEs. Even though they already have T.Brayton (and D.Burgess), the Raiders would probably find it a LOT harder to pass on Mario Williams than Hawk--if Williams is on the board, I see the Raiders taking him after GB takes Hawk (Hawk fits as a 4-3 LB better for GB and M.Williams fits Oakland's 3-4 system extremely well). If that happens, I can see SF taking Huff or trading down to take him or a CB, like J.Williams, with a team that wants Ferguson. It may come down to the Bills deciding who they want more--Ngata or Ferguson. (Ferguson-Bunkley 1-2 or Ngata-Colledge 1-2).
                Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                  Some of your picks I like. In fact, if the 1st 6 came down to what you took, I would love it. However, I doubt that the 49ers would take Brick when they spent a huge contract on Jonas Jennings last year - even if he is somewhat injury prone. That would then become two huge contracts for 1 position. Doubtful that the 49ers would do that when they have alot of other needs possibly at LB or DT. In fact, I could see them taking Ngata, leaving us Brick.

The picks then seem fine until Philly's pick at 14. I doubt Philly takes Hali when they are desperate for a WR. Given that Philly is a pass 1st team, however, they will probably drool over Vernon Davis (top TE) falling to them and take him instead. Philly with a top TE that has speed also will be lethal and give McNabb an extra weapon.

I'm not sure that the Fins would go with a DE as their 1st pick. They needed Safety help last year. Their Oline could use upgrades also. Even a young WR might be more important 1st. I could see them grabing Darnell Bing (S) most likely or McNeil (OT) in their 1st...even Santonio Holmes (WR) before they address their D-line. They could also use an outside LB - and Manny Lawson might be ideal for them in the 2nd rd...although he may be gone by then.
                  Philly has LJ Smith at TE already and he is one of the better receiving TEs in the league.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

I'm not saying the Jets won't take Cutler, but it is a humongous reach for them if they do. I really don't think there is anyone els in the top ten picks of the draft who is a serious threat to take Cutler is the Jets don't,. so if Cutler is there guy, I'd expect the Jets to try and trade out of that spot with another team that doesn't need a QB. If they don't/can't and end up taking Cutler, they are screwed. I think Winstion Justice is no better than a mid first round value, so the Lions would be reachng to take him at #9, but then Matt Millen has done stranger things, like about every year.
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

The more I think about it- the more I think the Jets will go after Brees or will try to match the Giant's move to get Manning 2 years ago by grabbing Leinart now

Comment

• Bmax
                        • Aug 2003

I think starting sub par def linemen is a waste ....See bannan and tim anderson...

Plus the other two guys are either injury prone or getting old...

MY RANKINGS FOR THE TOP 5 DT
                        1. NGATA-oregon
                        2. WATSON-mich
                        3. Bunkley-fla st
                        4. Wright-texas
                        5. Harris -miami

I have watson over bunkley because i love the big run stuffers...Size does matter...It's close between the two of them.. I feel that the first three will go in rd one... The talent level really drops after the first 5. And please don't tell me that Wroten or kyle williams should be considered. We need size and quickness .. Wroten would be a good choice but his character is too much of an issue to consider. A sleeper like Mcargo or cofield who be acceptable in rd's 3-5..

Bmax

Comment

• Tinboy
                          • Aug 2004

If Brick is gone should we go with Ngata or should we trade down and go after say McNeill and draft a DT in the second round?

Comment

• mysticsoto
                            Too sober for this...
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by EDS
                            Philly has LJ Smith at TE already and he is one of the better receiving TEs in the league.
                            I completely understand - I had LJ Smith in my fantasy last year. He was doing well until McNabb got hurt.

However, when you have a TE that has WR speed, you grab him. Philly could easily implement 2 TE sets that teams could have a hard time countering. A LB will have a hard time covering Davis and although a CB can cover him speedwise, they won't be able to outjump/outmuscle him for the ball. It will be hard to matchup against them both.

The Patriots (pre-injuries) have been trying to set themselves up to do 2 TE plays. If I recall, last year, they even did a nice TE screen that was awesome. People tend to underestimate what you can do when you have good TEs - and for a passing team like Philly, it becomes even more important! I think the Patriots have grabbed a TE in almost all of each of the last few drafts:

2001 - Jabari Halloway
                            2002 - Daniel Graham
                            2004 - Ben Watson
                            2005 - Andy Stokes

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Bmax
                              I think starting sub par def linemen is a waste ....See bannan and tim anderson...

Plus the other two guys are either injury prone or getting old...

MY RANKINGS FOR THE TOP 5 DT
                              1. NGATA-oregon
                              2. WATSON-mich
                              3. Bunkley-fla st
                              4. Wright-texas
                              5. Harris -miami

I have watson over bunkley because i love the big run stuffers...Size does matter...It's close between the two of them.. I feel that the first three will go in rd one... The talent level really drops after the first 5. And please don't tell me that Wroten or kyle williams should be considered. We need size and quickness .. Wroten would be a good choice but his character is too much of an issue to consider. A sleeper like Mcargo or cofield who be acceptable in rd's 3-5..

Bmax
                              Bunkley is probably gone in the 2nd rd. He's a pretty good prospect! Having said that, he was arrested in 2003 for stealing. Not sure Marv would go with that type of character...

Comment

Working...
                              X