PDA

View Full Version : Becoming more likely that Brees will test the market

Bill Brasky
02-21-2006, 07:49 AM
It's looking like Brees won't be back in San Diego....

If you were a Chargers fan, would you rather have Brees or take a chance letting him go in favor of Rivers?

Though I'm 99.9% sure Buffalo won't even go after the guy, would you be happy to see Marv go after this guy and eventually bring him in?

justasportsfan
02-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Though I'm 99.9% sure Buffalo won't even go after the guy, would you be happy to see Marv go after this guy and eventually bring him in?for vet minimum

mysticsoto
02-21-2006, 08:02 AM

If you were a Chargers fan, would you rather have Brees or take a chance letting him go in favor of Rivers?

Though I'm 99.9% sure Buffalo won't even go after the guy, would you be happy to see Marv go after this guy and eventually bring him in?

Nope. I think the Chargers are close to making the playoffs and possibly a superbowl run. Now is not the time to change everything with a new untested QB. Brees has finally got it together over there and understands their offense. This is a mistake by them.

And no, Marv should not go after this guy. We have enough holes to fill and even if we wanted to, we do not have the money which Brees would want (which is why he's not staying in SD).

ICE74129
02-21-2006, 08:49 AM

We drop losman and go after Brees and we look like complete fools to potential FA's and Esp draft picks.

Why go to buffalo? So you can get screwed over then sent packing?

Bill Brasky
02-21-2006, 08:52 AM
well if you're going to use that logic it applies to coaches too.

why go coach for any team when, if the GM is fired, you most likely will be canned too?

if losman can't cut it and there are better prospects available you pursue them, it's called upgrading.

ICE74129
02-21-2006, 09:17 AM
well if you're going to use that logic it applies to coaches too.

why go coach for any team when, if the GM is fired, you most likely will be canned too?

if losman can't cut it and there are better prospects available you pursue them, it's called upgrading.

Prove he can't cut it. You can't, No one can until certain things are done and are in place. None of which has been done yet. That is what will show potential FA's and Rookies that Buffalo isn't the place for them. Sandiego, NYG, Cinci, Pittsburgh etc, much more attractive. They will give you a real chance and let you have a shot to develop....Unlike Buffalo.

EricStratton
02-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Considering his injury (and the Chargers will know the full extent of it) San Diego must not think Brees can get a large sum as a free agent so they are willing to gamble.

If they tag him they have to pay him a set amount and they must think he will be back for a lot less money.

ICE74129
02-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Considering his injury (and the Chargers will know the full extent of it) San Diego must not think Brees can get a large sum as a free agent so they are willing to gamble.

If they tag him they have to pay him a set amount and they must think he will be back for a lot less money.

E, I think they were going to transition him until the NFL told them they would have to guarantee the contract. I agree, they are going to let him test the market, but I think he will sign with someone in the first week of FA though.

They gambled and it has bit them in my opinion. They gave up on him too early and drafted Rivers. Now they have to do something with rivers instead of sitting him and letting him make all of that money. Problem is, sitting for 2 years isn't going to get him any better so they have to play him sometime. They have a good defense and RB. Spend the money on the OL And maybe WR and Rivers could do OK his first year.

Bill Brasky
02-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Prove he can't cut it. You can't, No one can until certain things are done and are in place. None of which has been done yet. That is what will show potential FA's and Rookies that Buffalo isn't the place for them. Sandiego, NYG, Cinci, Pittsburgh etc, much more attractive. They will give you a real chance and let you have a shot to develop....Unlike Buffalo.

pittsburgh? the only reason they threw roethlisberger into the starting lineup was because Maddox got injured...

san diego? the only reason rivers is still on the bench is because Brees finally came around in year 4. other than the last game of the season the kid saw virtually no playing time his first 2 seasons.

neither of those places really "gave the guys a chance"... they got lucky with the situation they were put in and ran with it.

JP was HANDED the starting job and failed. do i think he got a fair shake? no, you can't put all the blame on a guy who had no confidence coming from his teammates/coaches behind a terrible OLine... but still, i think he could have played better last year when given the chance.

i want to see him succeed, but you can't say that Buffalo doesn't give players chances... they handed a second year QB with NO NFL EXPERIENCE the starting job. they drafted McGahee when nobody else wanted to take the risk. and i could keep going on and on about how guys like Coy Wire keep getting opportunities and ulitmately fail. how can you say this franchise doesn't give players chances?

THATHURMANATOR
02-21-2006, 10:05 AM
I am sure Brees will get a big contract. Aren't there concerns about his shoulder as well?

Bill Brasky
02-21-2006, 10:09 AM
I am sure Brees will get a big contract. Aren't there concerns about his shoulder as well?

yeah, and it's probably why San Diego doesn't want to give the guy a long term deal... same with the Jets and Mad Chad.

i think it's a dumb move on their part but i can understand why they're doing it. they drafted Rivers to be their QB, they can't shell out 2 big contracts to have one guy sit the bench his whole life.

had Marty not kept Brees in that last game of the season allowing him to get hurt they probably would have locked him up long term and sent Rivers packing.

ICE74129
02-21-2006, 10:19 AM
pittsburgh? the only reason they threw roethlisberger into the starting lineup was because Maddox got injured...

san diego? the only reason rivers is still on the bench is because Brees finally came around in year 4. other than the last game of the season the kid saw virtually no playing time his first 2 seasons.

neither of those places really "gave the guys a chance"... they got lucky with the situation they were put in and ran with it.

JP was HANDED the starting job and failed. do i think he got a fair shake? no, you can't put all the blame on a guy who had no confidence coming from his teammates/coaches behind a terrible OLine... but still, i think he could have played better last year when given the chance.

i want to see him succeed, but you can't say that Buffalo doesn't give players chances... they handed a second year QB with NO NFL EXPERIENCE the starting job. they drafted McGahee when nobody else wanted to take the risk. and i could keep going on and on about how guys like Coy Wire keep getting opportunities and ulitmately fail. how can you say this franchise doesn't give players chances?

How the hell can you honestly sit there and think he got a chance? 4 games with being pulled for a series or two in 2 of them then officially benched is NOT Giving him a chance. 16 full games is a chance.

ICE74129
02-21-2006, 10:20 AM

And let me add, SD Gave Brees over 3 years to develop, not 8 games!

Typ0
02-21-2006, 10:32 AM
We drop losman and go after Brees and we look like complete fools to potential FA's and Esp draft picks.

Why go to buffalo? So you can get screwed over then sent packing?

Oh yeah...I'm sure those guys would much rather come on board with a guy who hasn't done squat over a guy whose been as successful as brees. You sure do a good job of putting up rediculous threads!

Bill Brasky
02-21-2006, 10:36 AM
yeah, apparently you skipped over the part where I said Losman didn't get a fair shot.

regardless, not many QB's get the job handed to them after taking 5 snaps in the NFL.

and had Losman not played to the point of utter embarassment, he would have started more than 4 games.

at this point, I support losman, but I'd take Brees as the starter over him. anybody who says otherwise is smoking crack cocaine.

ICE74129
02-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Oh yeah...I'm sure those guys would much rather come on board with a guy who hasn't done squat over a guy whose been as successful as brees. You sure do a good job of putting up rediculous threads!

Yeah come to a team that has been nothing for about 6 years, And join a team that benches you if you don't put up probowl type numbers in your first 4 games with no help.

Yeah, the Bills are REAL attractive right now. I guess we will see next week won't we?

Marv and DJ will need to prove themselfs before we start getting top FA's in here again.

ICE74129
02-21-2006, 10:53 AM
yeah, apparently you skipped over the part where I said Losman didn't get a fair shot.

regardless, not many QB's get the job handed to them after taking 5 snaps in the NFL.

and had Losman not played to the point of utter embarassment, he would have started more than 4 games.

at this point, I support losman, but I'd take Brees as the starter over him. anybody who says otherwise is smoking crack cocaine.

No anyone saying other wise has a brain and football sense. I can tell you right now if I was coming out in the draft, I already tell my agent no thanks to Buffalo. Same if I am a FA. The bills have done nothing and are right now the worst franchise in the NFL. The lack of support for losman only made it moreso.

And if brees is so damn good, why not sign him long term since his rehab is going fine and trade rivers? And would you have signed him in before the 04 season? No. Just like JP he had done nothing in many more starts and was labled a bust.

All the great QB's have had it 'handed' to them. Only in buffalo do we need to have this fantasy QB battle.

Bill Brasky
02-21-2006, 10:56 AM
I can tell you right now if I was coming out in the draft, I already tell my agent no thanks to Buffalo.

Ok Eli Manning.

ICE74129
02-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Ok Eli Manning.

And how did it work out for Eli. Good move. hey todays NFL is much different. I am not going to a place I don't want to go.

TacklingDummy
02-21-2006, 12:16 PM
It looks like the Chargers have a brighter future then the Giants do. I think Eli made a mistake and should of went to San Diego.

Meister
02-21-2006, 01:04 PM
If it wasnt for those two torn ligiments Brees would be locked up for the next decade in San Diego. Its the same question as with Pennington, will the arm strength ever return? His arm strength was already questionable by NFL standards. That being said, if the Culpepper talks dont go anywhere, I would expect the Phins to throw a pile of cash Brees' way. They have the potential to be a really good team with a half way decent QB at the helm.

Al13
02-21-2006, 03:45 PM
guys he has a slight tear in his labrum, pennington injured his rotator cuff, that a HUGE difference, brees will be alright

ICE74129
02-21-2006, 04:23 PM
guys he has a slight tear in his labrum, pennington injured his rotator cuff, that a HUGE difference, brees will be alright

Really? So a slight tear in the labrum is no big deal? Ask anyone who has had it including pitchers and QB's. That 'slight tear' has ended careers. And They aren't going to have his arm in a sling and do surgery for a 'slight tear'. They rehab it and inject it.

Reality is the shoulder was pulled out of socket. You can see it pop back into place on the replay. He tore more than the labrum And the labrum wasn't a slight tear either. I have no doubt he will make it back, but if he rushes it too soon he will pull a chad pennington.

ScottLawrence
02-21-2006, 08:56 PM
No anyone saying other wise has a brain and football sense. I can tell you right now if I was coming out in the draft, I already tell my agent no thanks to Buffalo. Same if I am a FA. The bills have done nothing and are right now the worst franchise in the NFL. The lack of support for losman only made it moreso.

And if brees is so damn good, why not sign him long term since his rehab is going fine and trade rivers? And would you have signed him in before the 04 season? No. Just like JP he had done nothing in many more starts and was labled a bust.

All the great QB's have had it 'handed' to them. Only in buffalo do we need to have this fantasy QB battle.

Name all the "great ones" that had it "handed" to them.

Off the top of my head I can think of one, Peyton Manning.

Meister
02-22-2006, 09:31 AM

None of us know the severity of the injury, but when he got hit it looked like his arm had been torn off. Guys like Brody Croyle and Gannon made it back but for every one of them I'm sure there are 100 pitchers and QBs out there that cant throw anymore. San Diego is letting him go for a reason, and its not b/c they think Phillip Rivers is the next Montana.