PDA

View Full Version : Bills/Dolphins rivalry...

Bill Brasky
02-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Where do you think it ranks amongst the rivalries in the NFL?

and what do you think where the high/low points of the rivalry?

For me, Thurman going to Miami was like trading Ruth to the Yankees. Sure he was near the end of his career, but it was like a slap in the face, especially considering how he dominated that team with his play during the 90's.

I know most of you will say the end of th 20 game losing streak as the high point, but I think the fact that they were able to deny Marino from getting back to the Super Bowl year after year was much more gratifying, especially when they beat them in Miami.

gr8slayer
02-21-2006, 11:08 AM
I dont think it ranks that high at all outside of Bills and Fish fans.

THATHURMANATOR
02-21-2006, 11:48 AM
To Miami Fans the Bills are probably their 3rd rivalry at this point. I would say I am starting to hate New England more at this point.

Jeff1220
02-21-2006, 12:37 PM
A better way to go about this thread would be like this: Rank the top 5 or 10 NFL rivalries.

Some rivalries one could consider:
GB/Chicago
Cleveland/Pittsburgh/Baltimore (any combo of those)
SanDiego/Oakland
NYG/Cowboys/Redskins/Philly (and combo of those)
Miami/NYJ
etc.

There are ebbs and flows to the intensity of these rivalries with the success of the teams involved. I don't think the Bills/Fins rank near the top anymore. Miami fans absolutely hate the Jets and the whole division hates the Pats. Neither the Bills or Dolphins have done squat in quite a long time. Until they are both in playoff contention, the rivalry remains likewarm.

Saratoga Slim
02-21-2006, 01:04 PM
You have to separate the rivalries based on current performance from those based in tradition, geography, and history.

Sure, we have a growing rivalry with the Pats b/c they've been good for the past few years, and we've traded a few players etc. Everybody hates the guy on top, but there are a ton of rivalries like those in the league, and they ebb and flow as the strength of teams change.

The REAL rivalries are those that have built on something more than recent history. Think Yankees-Red Sox for an example of historical rivalry, or Cowboys-Redskins. Or, for a non-historical rivalry, think Browns-Ravens, based in Modell's team move.

I see the Bills-Dolphins as one of those rivalries that transcends records. It doesnt matter if we are both 3-11, the game still MATTERS. It's about cold-weather men versus beach-boy prissies. It's about Brian Cox spitting on fans. It's about the way the name "Dan Marino" makes my skin crawl. It's about how soul-shattering it was to see Thurman in one of those pansy ass teal uniforms.

Don't get soft on me fellas. I am all for beating the pants off the Patriots in a sportsmanlike manner. But as Bills fans, there is very truly nothing better than Squishing the damn Fish.

tampabay25690
02-21-2006, 01:33 PM
You have to separate the rivalries based on current performance from those based in tradition, geography, and history.

Sure, we have a growing rivalry with the Pats b/c they've been good for the past few years, and we've traded a few players etc. Everybody hates the guy on top, but there are a ton of rivalries like those in the league, and they ebb and flow as the strength of teams change.

The REAL rivalries are those that have built on something more than recent history. Think Yankees-Red Sox for an example of historical rivalry, or Cowboys-Redskins. Or, for a non-historical rivalry, think Browns-Ravens, based in Modell's team move.

I see the Bills-Dolphins as one of those rivalries that transcends records. It doesnt matter if we are both 3-11, the game still MATTERS. It's about cold-weather men versus beach-boy prissies. It's about Brian Cox spitting on fans. It's about the way the name "Dan Marino" makes my skin crawl. It's about how soul-shattering it was to see Thurman in one of those pansy ass teal uniforms.

Don't get soft on me fellas. I am all for beating the pants off the Patriots in a sportsmanlike manner. But as Bills fans, there is very truly nothing better than Squishing the damn Fish.

I think this is a good question but. HOW many Dolphin fans do you see in Buffalo at the game compared to BILLS fans in Miami at the game.......There is so many Bills fans that live down south that it seems like a Bills home game down in Miami....

Marino13Phins
02-21-2006, 01:59 PM
I think this is a good question but. HOW many Dolphin fans do you see in Buffalo at the game compared to BILLS fans in Miami at the game.......There is so many Bills fans that live down south that it seems like a Bills home game down in Miami....

I know there should be more phins fans at those games. Butr you have to take Florida for what it is worth. Not a lot of poeple move odwn there for the sports. They move down tehre cause it's nice as hell. That's just like in baseball that there are more red sox fans at a home devil rays game then there are devil rays fans. Flordia is a mixing pot of old people, sports players, and immigrants.

Michael82
02-21-2006, 02:01 PM
The Patriots have taken over the Dolphins for me. :ill:

dolphinssuck
02-21-2006, 02:05 PM
The Patriots have taken over the Dolphins for me. :ill:I have to agree with you here the Pats seem to have that bullseye on their back from most teams and the Bills are certainly one of them.

AndreReed83
02-21-2006, 03:08 PM
The Bills could go 2-14 with the only wins coming against the Dolphins and I would be able to find some joy in the season.

Saratoga Slim
02-21-2006, 04:37 PM
The Bills could go 2-14 with the only wins coming against the Dolphins and I would be able to find some joy in the season.

Amen brother. That's what I'm talking about.

Samphin1
02-21-2006, 06:36 PM
The Bills will always be the main rival in my book. The Jets have had their moments with the fins, an dmost media outlets will talk that rivalry up moreso than any other one within the division.

For my money though, I love watching Bills-Fins matchups. The Patriots have come on strong recently but that is because they have been so good. When we beat them when they suck, it is no big deal. I still view it as a big deal when Miami beats a terrible Bills team.

!Papacrunk!
02-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Here's how I break it down:

JETS--hate them, but don't even respect them, just good 'ol contempt. Of any of the other franchises, we have the closest all time record w/ them (41-39-1,) so it's always good to get some wins to narrow the gap and hopefully eventually over take it. Effin Jets.
BILLS--I may be the only one tho think this, but I really think there are a lot of similarities between our franchises, these last some years. It's always good to get the good 'ol sweep, but it's that much better to get them over the Bills (need to get back to that, lol.) I still hate the Bills, but unlike the Jets, I still respect the play and the toughness of them (Not saying this to kiss ass since I'm posting here.) I guess it's good since the Bills utilize red in their colors, since I've seen them as the red headed step child in the division j/k

PATRIOTS--urgh. The missed Mare FG in regulation and the missed FG in OT in the Oct03 game, two chances to have beat the Pats and would've been the one W needed to have had a playoff spot later on. Any game that helped pad Brady comeback win record. Blah. The mini-"super bowl" win against them that added to the impressive 4 game wins in '04 made up for that horrible season. Now w/ the Saban/Belly relationship, things may shift into a higher game for this rivalry.

But I hate all rival teams w/ varying degrees of hate depending on the season :lol:

gr8slayer
02-21-2006, 11:27 PM
I know there should be more phins fans at those games. Butr you have to take Florida for what it is worth. Not a lot of poeple move odwn there for the sports. They move down tehre cause it's nice as hell. That's just like in baseball that there are more red sox fans at a home devil rays game then there are devil rays fans. Flordia is a mixing pot of old people, sports players, and immigrants.
No offense man but I went to Tampa for the Bills game this past season and I was not at all impressed with FLA. I thought I was stuck in a freaking Jerry Springer episode. Hell, it was worse than Texas.

tampabay25690
02-22-2006, 12:01 AM

By the way great avatar.................You made a great point I own season tix in TAMPA and the fans are awful......People dont usually move to Buff if they live in Florida........they move away from Buffalo to Florida......

tampabay25690
02-22-2006, 12:02 AM
No offense man but I went to Tampa for the Bills game this past season and I was not at all impressed with FLA. I thought I was stuck in a freaking Jerry Springer episode. Hell, it was worse than Texas.

Just curious why you thought that.......I have lived in Tampa for 3yrs now and absolutely love it here.........

Bill Brasky
02-22-2006, 11:46 AM

Couldn't put it any better. Add 0-20 during the 70's and keeping Marino out of the Super Bowl his entire career to the list. The only thing that makes up for having a bad season is beating the ******ed flipper ****.

Devin
02-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Bills Vs. Dolphins is it for me. I cant stand the pats, the jets I dont really have any emotion about. But the Fins.....ugghhh.

We always play each other well, the past few years its been pretty even. Always a good game win or lose. But when we win against the fins I am happier then most victories and when we lose to them its the worst.

I am a huge LSU fan, so Saban coaching them now is even weirder.

!Papacrunk!
02-22-2006, 06:52 PM
I am a huge LSU fan, so Saban coaching them now is even weirder.

:peace:

It's just been one year, but he's working out quite nice so far.