PDA

View Full Version : It's Official! Bills Designate Clements as Franchise Player

Michael82
02-22-2006, 10:25 AM
The Bills Wednesday announced that the team has designated cornerback Nate Clements as its franchise player.

“We are announcing today that we have placed the franchise tag on Nate Clements,” Bills general manager Marv Levy said. “We consider Nate a valuable member of our defense and believe he will play an important role in re-establishing our defense as one of the toughest units in the league. At the same time, we remain optimistic that we will be able to work out a long-term deal with Nate in the foreseeable future.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3611

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 10:30 AM
I compliment Levy and the rest of the staff. This is an important move in order to restablish this team as contenders. There are too many holes to just let another good player slip through their hands.

Seeing that Nate was declaring mega money, slapping the tag on Nate buys the Bills more time to get a long term deal done.

This move also allows them an opportunity to concentrate on the rest of Free Agency as well as prepare for the draft, fill in holes, and get other contracts signed with less distraction.

I just really couldn't see the Bills heading into the draft needing a CB, DT, and OL.

Michael82
02-22-2006, 10:31 AM
hmmm, what's next? Is it going to be a Tag and Trade, Keep him for the one year tender and develop his replacement, or Sign him to a long term deal after the CBA is extended?

:feedback:

Meathead
02-22-2006, 10:32 AM
:up: :up: :up:

good move you old fart

justasportsfan
02-22-2006, 10:32 AM
“We consider Nate a valuable member of our defense and believe he will play an important role in re-establishing our defense as one of the toughest units in the league. ”
Actions speak louder Marv. Do it! Do it! Do it!

BAM
02-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Awesome move.

Op is going to have a hernia.

Jan Reimers
02-22-2006, 10:36 AM
Excellent. Even if we can't keep him long term, it retains a key component as a part of this year's defense, and gives us time to evaluate what we need to do at CB in the future.

We have enough immediate needs. We don't need another gaping hole staring us in the face.

Michael82
02-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Excellent. Even if we can't keep him long term, it retains a key component as a part of this year's defense, and gives us time to evaluate what we need to do at CB in the future.

We have enough immediate needs. We don't need another gaping hole staring us in the face.
Or it gives us some really nice trade bait. I still think this will be the Tag and Trade like they did with Peerless Price, but I could be wrong.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 10:41 AM
I don't think so Mikey. I think Nate is part of the Bills long term plans and they will do what it takes to get him signed. Of course it is a two way street. Nate has to want to be in Buffalo for the deal to happen.

Also, if another team really wants him, they can offer a larger contract and the Bills will receive ample compensation for their loss. Either way Buffalo wins on that deal.

Meathead
02-22-2006, 10:41 AM
Op is going to have a hernia.
i propose we buy him a pc cam so we can watch him when news like this comes out

ive never seen an actual live aneurysm

http://students.washington.edu/cheunga/wordpress/wp-content/explode.jpg

Meathead
02-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Also, if another team really wants him, they can offer a larger contract and the Bills will receive ample compensation for their loss.
technically true but it will never happen

Billsrock4life
02-22-2006, 11:29 AM
good move by levy atleast we have nate for another year

madness
02-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Great move. :up:

Saratoga Slim
02-22-2006, 12:58 PM
I think we want him as part of our long term plans, are willing to pay him decent money, and will actively try to sign him to a long term contract. If that's the plan, I hope we get it done before the season starts. If he doesnt agree to a long term deal before next season, I think there's very little chance he's here in 2007. If he has a rebound year, he'll be thinking even bigger numbers than he is now.

don137
02-22-2006, 01:00 PM
I think just letting him go would of been crazy...I never heard any hint of tag and trade so my guess is they sincerely want to sign him to an extension. Let's hope in the cover 2 Nate will shine like he did in 2004.

Michael82
02-22-2006, 01:06 PM
The more and more I think about it, I think they intend to lock him up long term. But there is still the small possibility that they are tagging him so if they can't agree to a deal, they can trade him.

ICE74129
02-22-2006, 02:55 PM
I think putting the tag on him is the right thing to do. It is also the right thing to listen to trade offers. No one CB is untradeable with the rules in this league esp playing a cover 2 defense.

I hope at the combine someone like the Giants inquire and Marv listens. As for as nate being long term, he isn't going to do it in buffalo. Teams are stupid enough to pay him near bailey money, thank God Buffalo isn't. We have a GM and HC than understands it all starts and ends with the Lines.

Bill Cody
02-22-2006, 03:09 PM
If we get a 1st round trade offer from a bad team I think we have to take it for Nate. It's not like we're one piece away from a championship.

Saratoga Slim
02-22-2006, 03:52 PM
If we get a 1st round trade offer from a bad team I think we have to take it for Nate. It's not like we're one piece away from a championship.

IF OBD can't talk him into a reasonable long-term contract, i'd rather trade him and get a top prospect that could be with the team for 3-4 years minimum. The alternative is having a sulky Nate play out 2006 and then bolt in the offseason to the highest bidder. If the new management thinks that he's not going to be a positive presence next season w/out a new contract, and that he's only going to want more at the end of the year, we'd be crazy to turn down a high-draft pick trade just to have him around for the coming season.

gr8slayer
02-22-2006, 04:02 PM
sthuper!

ICE74129
02-22-2006, 04:50 PM
IF OBD can't talk him into a reasonable long-term contract, i'd rather trade him and get a top prospect that could be with the team for 3-4 years minimum. The alternative is having a sulky Nate play out 2006 and then bolt in the offseason to the highest bidder. If the new management thinks that he's not going to be a positive presence next season w/out a new contract, and that he's only going to want more at the end of the year, we'd be crazy to turn down a high-draft pick trade just to have him around for the coming season.

Exactly. I have teams contact me starting wed before the draft to see what is going on. If by then I can't get Nate to agree to a realistic and reasonable (for the team) Contract, I trade him if a team offers up a first round pick.

Michael82
02-22-2006, 05:32 PM
I totally agree. :bf1:

Crisis
02-22-2006, 06:39 PM
What'd Marv do that was so hard? Any idiot would've done it.

I love Marv, but some of you guys are getting ridiculous of how much a genius he is.

I'll applaud Marv if he can re-sign Nate longterm.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't just give credit to Marv either. It's a collective argeement. Coaches, as well as Modrak and Mr. Wilson all had an opinion on this I'm sure.

What it all boils down to: Does Clements (money and all) fit into the Bills short and/or long term plans?
Whether that be a trade or not.

SABURZFAN
02-22-2006, 11:36 PM
hmmm, what's next? Is it going to be a Tag and Trade, Keep him for the one year tender and develop his replacement, or Sign him to a long term deal after the CBA is extended?

:feedback:

if we tag and trade,we draft the CB from Virginia Tech.

vicmantak
02-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Tag Clements was totally and absolutely the right decision. I just hope he will not be traded.

Saratoga Slim
02-23-2006, 08:03 AM
Actually, he had a pretty decent quote in that Democrat and Chronicle article today:

"I started my career in Buffalo, and I've let them know time and again I do want to stay there," said Clements, who has started 72 straight games. "I want to get this turned around and start bringing in W's like Buffalo of old."

link: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060223/SPORTS03/602230352/1007/SPORTS

That sounds a little better than the $$ attitude he's previously thrown around in public interviews. Maybe there is some hope that he'll settle for a reasonable contract.