PDA

View Full Version : The QB market will be flooded....

Bill Brasky
02-22-2006, 11:27 AM
The QB market is going to have a lot of free agents this offseason.

Will/Should the Bills go after any of these guys:

Drew Brees
Chad Pennington
Duante Culpepper
Aaron Brooks
Tommy Maddox
Jay Fiedler
Josh McCown
Jon Kitna
Chris Weinke
Jeff Blake
Charlie Batch
Sage Rosenfels
Jamie Martin
Vinny Testeverde

I almost think they have to at least consider targeting one of these guys to challenge Holcomb and Losman.

I know it might sound crazy, but they might be fit to bring in Josh McCown from Arizona. I was reading an article and it says the guy has all the tools to be a great QB and he's only 26 years old with 22 career starts. I don't really know much about the guy, but he's thrown for over 250 yards 8 times and hit 300 yards 3 times. That's half of his starts with pretty big passing numbers.

Billsrock4life
02-22-2006, 11:31 AM
a good point you bring up about McCown but if i had to target any of them i would go after aaron brooks

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Great post. Not to mention that the draft is a decent place to get a young prospect QB as well.

Obvioulsy both Young and Leinart are going to go failry quickly, with Cutler quick to follow. But both Brodie Croyle and Omar Jacobs are sliding up in ranks as well.

Too many guys and not all will find homes. I think the Bills should wait things out and let other teams that really need a QB to pursue aggresively. Wait for the left overs and grab a decent QB for roster fill.

gr8slayer
02-22-2006, 11:37 AM
I would rather have McCown than Holcomb.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Testerverde, Batch, Blake and possibly Maddox may all find retirement once it's all said and done.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Culpepper is hurting and most likely won't play in '06.

Pennigton is more fragile then my Grandmother's Hummels.

Brees has to be the most sought after.

justasportsfan
02-22-2006, 11:43 AM
where's Tim :couch:

Bill Brasky
02-22-2006, 11:47 AM
tim couch will be Kurt Warner in like 2 years. He still has to get in the grocery store first.

mysticsoto
02-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Culpepper is hurting and most likely won't play in '06.

Pennigton is more fragile then my Grandmother's Hummels.

Brees has to be the most sought after.

Interesting - is that certain that Culpepper won't play in '06? There are rumors that Miami is trying to trade for him. I have to believe that them losing Ricky cost them the trade. Michael Bennett has made it clear that he wants out of Minnesota and they need a RB. It might have been doable had Miami had RW available to trade. Now Miami is awaiting and hoping that Minnesota cuts him before March 14th when they owe him a $6 million bonus...

Forward_Lateral
02-22-2006, 12:42 PM
I honestly wouldn't take any of those QBs, except maybe Brees, if he was 100%. There's no telling how serious his injury is.

As for the rest, there's a reason they are all soon to be FAs.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Interesting - is that certain that Culpepper won't play in '06? There are rumors that Miami is trying to trade for him. I have to believe that them losing Ricky cost them the trade. Michael Bennett has made it clear that he wants out of Minnesota and they need a RB. It might have been doable had Miami had RW available to trade. Now Miami is awaiting and hoping that Minnesota cuts him before March 14th when they owe him a $6 million bonus...

Culpepper not only tore his ACL, but the PCL and MCL as well as damaging some associated meniscus.

Culpepper was obviously done for the season, and the course of his rehab will not only determine if he's ready for the 2006 season, but it could decide how the rest of his career will turn out.

Bill Brasky
02-22-2006, 12:46 PM
I honestly wouldn't take any of those QBs, except maybe Brees, if he was 100%. There's no telling how serious his injury is.

As for the rest, there's a reason they are all soon to be FAs.

so you'd rather have Losman/Holcomb instead of Culpepper?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Many of you will be surprised, I am sure.....but I have a hunch that Marv Levy and Dick Jauron will seriously be pursuing a veteran QB.

I think, from that list, that there are four realistic possibilities, with the thought
being that any vet brought in will be brought in to compete for the starting job.
If JP were to beat out any of these three for the starting job, I'd feel good about him having the job.

1)Jon Kitna. He has proven he can play, but was forced into duty in the playoffs and didn't play well. Given time to prepare, Kitna is a very solid QB, and would fit in with this team.

2) Aaron Brooks. Mobile QB that might just need a change of scenery and some better coaching. Has all the tools, but makes questionable decisions. He'll get another shot at being a starter, and it could happen here.

3) Josh McCown. Again another young guy who could likely benefit from a change of scenery and better coaching. Also has all the tools, and would be a solid starter. Josh also has alot of moxy and will remind Marv of Jim Kelly, which could play to Marv's weakness as a GM--he'll try to replicate as much of the old formula as much as he can.

4) Chris Weinke--he's a solid QB, and has been overshadowed by Delhomme, but the guy can play, and is smart. Will also remind folks of Jimbo a bit. This guy deserves another shot at starting.
As for the rest----Brees too expensive, Culpepper injured and expensive, Pennington too injury prone, Maddox too old and average, Fiedler too average,
Blake too old, Batch too old and average, Rosenfels too many unknowns--unproven, Martin too many unknowns--unproven, and Testeverde ....well....why is he even on this list? Not realistic for him to be playing in the NFL next year with all the other QBs available via free agency and the draft.

I would love to go into the 2006 season with Holcomb at #3, and either Losman or a solid F/A taking the other slots. That's a deep group, and wouldn't cost a ton either.

patmoran2006
02-22-2006, 04:52 PM
The only player I"d consider is Kitna, and that if someone agrees to take Holcomb out back and shoot him.

Kitna is a GREAT backup.. He knows his role and is a great role model, He'd have been perfect for JP. Ican't stand Holcomb. UGHHHHH

X-Era
02-22-2006, 04:56 PM
The QB market is going to have a lot of free agents this offseason.

Will/Should the Bills go after any of these guys:

Drew Brees
Chad Pennington
Duante Culpepper
Aaron Brooks
Tommy Maddox
Jay Fiedler
Josh McCown
Jon Kitna
Chris Weinke
Jeff Blake
Charlie Batch
Sage Rosenfels
Jamie Martin
Vinny Testeverde

I almost think they have to at least consider targeting one of these guys to challenge Holcomb and Losman.

I know it might sound crazy, but they might be fit to bring in Josh McCown from Arizona. I was reading an article and it says the guy has all the tools to be a great QB and he's only 26 years old with 22 career starts. I don't really know much about the guy, but he's thrown for over 250 yards 8 times and hit 300 yards 3 times. That's half of his starts with pretty big passing numbers.

IF by "flooded" you mean either Brees or Culpepper, I guess your right. The rest are nothing more than has beens, never was'es, or bench material.

Frankly, I dont see any being much of an upgarde to Last years Losman or Holcomb.

Now, Culpepper or Brees? Yeah sure. Do we have the crazy cash it will take for Brees or the trade bait for Culpepper? Doubtful. Id like to add Brees.

Honestly, most of those names are trading the name for the same overall problem, not enough great play from the QB.

Notice I said, Last years Losman. He easily could make this a non-issue.

TigerJ
02-22-2006, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't mind one of those guys being signed to challenge Holcomb for his backup spot. Out of all of them, I agree McCown is the one who still has some upside. Brees will command top dollar. He's only going to go to a club that wants him as a starter, maybe Culpepper too, health permitting. Everyone else is pretty much a has been or a never was.

Jeff1220
02-22-2006, 05:24 PM

I started a thread about this exact scenario a week or two ago and nobody responded or thought it was crazy. :(

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=92596&highlight=mccown

tat2dmike77
02-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Maddox :lmao:

tat2dmike77
02-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Many of you will be surprised, I am sure.....but I have a hunch that Marv Levy and Dick Jauron will seriously be pursuing a veteran QB.

I think, from that list, that there are four realistic possibilities, with the thought
being that any vet brought in will be brought in to compete for the starting job.
If JP were to beat out any of these three for the starting job, I'd feel good about him having the job.

1)Jon Kitna. He has proven he can play, but was forced into duty in the playoffs and didn't play well. Given time to prepare, Kitna is a very solid QB, and would fit in with this team.

2) Aaron Brooks. Mobile QB that might just need a change of scenery and some better coaching. Has all the tools, but makes questionable decisions. He'll get another shot at being a starter, and it could happen here.

3) Josh McCown. Again another young guy who could likely benefit from a change of scenery and better coaching. Also has all the tools, and would be a solid starter. Josh also has alot of moxy and will remind Marv of Jim Kelly, which could play to Marv's weakness as a GM--he'll try to replicate as much of the old formula as much as he can.

4) Chris Weinke--he's a solid QB, and has been overshadowed by Delhomme, but the guy can play, and is smart. Will also remind folks of Jimbo a bit. This guy deserves another shot at starting.
As for the rest----Brees too expensive, Culpepper injured and expensive, Pennington too injury prone, Maddox too old and average, Fiedler too average,
Blake too old, Batch too old and average, Rosenfels too many unknowns--unproven, Martin too many unknowns--unproven, and Testeverde ....well....why is he even on this list? Not realistic for him to be playing in the NFL next year with all the other QBs available via free agency and the draft.

I would love to go into the 2006 season with Holcomb at #3, and either Losman or a solid F/A taking the other slots. That's a deep group, and wouldn't cost a ton either.

Ok kitna is a good QB he played solid for Cincy and would be a good fit somewhere maybe here i dunno but i wouldn't be upset if he signed with the bills.

Brooks is not the guy i want. I know he is mobile but he's not that great he would be a decent guy here in buffalo. I don't think he would do well in the weather up here.

McCown he is young with good arm strength and with right coaching and system he could become a good QB. I'm not a numbers guy either and i won't base anything from his numbers it is after all AZ. I honestly can't say to much about him the only time i really watched him play was highlights and when the cards played the bills and i don't remember if he played that game since i was sick with flu and had to leave the bar by the end of the first quarter

Weinke is to old he's just doesn't have it. I know delhome beat him out but weinke is over 30 and is nothing more then a career back up.

So if the bills were to sign a vet QB i would rather have Kitna or McCown.

The_Philster
02-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Kitna wouldn't be bad to be brought in to compete with Holcomb for the #2 job..I know that when it became known we were going with JP and also cutting loose Bledsoe, Holcomb and Kitna were the 2 I preferred to come in here

vicmantak
02-22-2006, 08:31 PM
IMO Cincinnati Bengals will be sorely mistaken if they don't re-sign John Kitna. Carson Palmer suffered a devasting knee injury against the Pittsburgh Steelers during playoffs and even he returns next season it seems that Palmer's knee + their OL contract issues simply don't fit to their playoffs plans...

On the other hand, I don't understand why Brian Griese and Joey Harrington are not still included on this rumored-based list.

Bmax
02-22-2006, 11:28 PM
Add Patrick Ramsey's name to list the Redskins are shopping him around the NFL

BMAX...

Dozerdog
02-22-2006, 11:45 PM
Seriously look at the offense Jauron had in Chicago.

It is going to be duller than Philster's sex life. Hand the ball off 50 times a game and play defense. Even Holcomb & Losman can handle that.

SABURZFAN
02-22-2006, 11:49 PM
testeverde would get clobbered behind this OL.he was slower than a snail stampede when we played the Jets last year.

Tinboy
02-23-2006, 01:15 AM

It is going to be duller than Philster's sex life. Hand the ball off 50 times a game and play defense. Even Holcomb & Losman can handle that.

Jauron didn't do the playcalling in Chicago and won't do it here either. He trusts his off coord. to do that. And he didn't have very good coord. in Chicago.

The_Philster
02-23-2006, 04:53 AM

:huh: why did my name get brought up..I'm not the one who doesn't have one :coocoo: