PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Resigned

Devin
02-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Just one day before the Indianapolis Colts (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ind) likely would have used the franchise designation to keep Reggie Wayne (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5477) off the unrestricted free agent market, the team on Wednesday reached agreement with their standout wide receiver on a six-year contract extension.

The extension, which is expected to be officially executed later this week, could be worth nearly $40 million and includes bonuses totaling $13 million-$14 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2340118

gr8slayer
02-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Good for him. He deserves it.

Nighthawk
02-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Another excellent move by Polian. Man, I wish he was still here!

LtFinFan66
02-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Wayne is getting paid!!

ICE74129
02-22-2006, 04:48 PM
They will part ways with Edge, get in a RB of = Quality and much higher character and end up in the superbowl next year.

patmoran2006
02-22-2006, 04:49 PM
They better worry about signing some of their defensive FA's before they worry about Edge..

I could run for 1000 yards in that offense.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
I just posted this in the wrong thread;

The fact that they resigned Wayne tells me that James will be tagged as the Colts franchise player before tomorrow afternoon.

ICE74129
02-22-2006, 04:52 PM
I just posted this in the wrong thread;

The fact that they resigned Wayne tells me that James will be tagged as the Colts franchise player before tomorrow afternoon.

No way CW. Polian wants him gone. Polian will sign a first round RB most likely and have better success.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 04:53 PM
No way CW. Polian wants him gone. Polian will sign a first round RB most likely and have better success.

I heard just the opposite this afternoon on Sirius radio. Polian intends on slapping the tag on James before COB tomorrow.

Devin
02-22-2006, 04:55 PM
They wont have the cap room i dont think.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Yet, this says otherwise:

Colts | Not tagging James
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:39:11 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports while the Indianapolis Colts have re-signed WR Reggie Wayne and still can use the franchise tag on another player, the team likely will not use the tag on RB Edgerrin James, due to salary cap ramifications. James has said he is prepared to play for another team in 2006.

ICE74129
02-22-2006, 04:56 PM
I heard just the opposite this afternoon on Sirius radio. Polian intends on slapping the tag on James before COB tomorrow.

Why? He has made it clear he doesn't want him there. Hell he allowed that moron of a agent of his to find a trade for just a 2nd rounder. Not saying I don't believe what you heard but this is a 180 from the way polian was talking/ acting.

LtFinFan66
02-22-2006, 04:57 PM
It says right in the ESPN article that they likely WON'T tag Edge.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Why? He has made it clear he doesn't want him there. Hell he allowed that moron of a agent of his to find a trade for just a 2nd rounder. Not saying I don't believe what you heard but this is a 180 from the way polian was talking/ acting.

Well it seems you may be right, according to other reports. Oddly enough the comments I heard on Sirius earlier were based on an interview the same crew had with Polian not too long ago. Sooooo.... I guess time will only tell.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 04:59 PM
It says right in the ESPN article that they likely WON'T tag Edge.

I just said that "this says otherwise". There are conflicting reports right now.

TigerJ
The Jets franchised John Abraham despite not having cap room. Polian still has options once James is franchised, including dropping the designation if he can't work out a trade, or something. As Buffalo fans learned with Peerles Price, the franchise tag doesn't mean a player is going to stay with his old team. BTW, I have no feelings or insight whether or not James will be kept or dumped or franchised etc.

LtFinFan66
They will probably look at a cheaper option!

tat2dmike77
Edge will end up in minesota

tat2dmike77
02-22-2006, 05:00 PM
The Jets franchised John Abraham despite not having cap room. Polian still has options once James is franchised, including dropping the designation if he can't work out a trade, or something.

The jets are going to try to trade abraham.

This is from an article on foxsports.com

New York has shaken up its staff and is trying to rebuild under new coach Eric Mangini. These latest moves came a day after the Jets (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67057) designated defensive end John Abraham (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/70381) their franchise player at $8.3 million, although they may try to trade him.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 05:04 PM
The jets are going to try to trade abraham.

And they'll not have any success doing so. The Jets are playing stupid football right now without having snapped the ball.

I also heard an interview this afternoon with Abraham that taking less pay, but signing a long term contract is not out of the question. He did seem hesitant to respond though, which makes me believe that he would want that as absolute last resort.

tat2dmike77
02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
And they'll not have any success doing so. The Jets are playing stupid football right now without having snapped the ball.

Not true i read that cleveland might take a shot at it. They have 25 mill to play with. They need some players he wants out of NY and cleveland needs a end so it might happen but it depends on what the jets want.

And when was the last time the jets played smart football on or off the field :jetsuck:

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Well the Browns might just be stupid enough to trade for a guy that might get axed anyway. It's obvious they can't afford him, and if they can't work something out he's gone.

Similar situation to that of the Falcons snagging Peerless price. If we don't trade him, TD was more than likely going to cut his ass anyway.

tat2dmike77
02-22-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm sure the jets will be cutting some more people so they can keep Abraham on the roster to trade him.

Don't be surprised to see pennington and martin cut as well this will free up some more money and possibly get them back into the black.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm sure the jets will be cutting some more people so they can keep Abraham on the roster to trade him.

Don't be surprised to see pennington and martin cut as well this will free up some more money and possibly get them back into the black.

I'm suprised Pennington hasn't been cut yet. Smoke screen for their pursuit of Cutler?

tat2dmike77
02-22-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm suprised Pennington hasn't been cut yet. Smoke screen for their pursuit of Cutler?

Well the reports i have heard on radio and talk shows is they want him to cut his pay to about 2 mill a year so i'm sure they are talking to him about taking that cut.

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 05:51 PM
That's right. I actually heard that he may take the pay cut.

tat2dmike77
02-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Yeap so i'm sure thier trying to work out a deal or he'll be gone

I think he would be dumb not to take it. I mean he has been injury prone and i wouldn't see to many teams banging down his door to offer him a contract