PDA

View Full Version : Franchising Clements Doesn't Guarantee He & Agent Will Play Nice

Night Train
02-22-2006, 06:48 PM
He made some strong comments last summer in Rochester, stating he wished to be paid and didn't care who was paying him.

Clements' agent, Todd France, declined comment except to tell The Associated Press that he and his client will weigh their options. Adding he was not surprised by the Bills' decision, France said he might meet with Bills management while attending the NFL Combine in Indianapolis this week.

Clements' options include accepting the offer or attempting to negotiate a long-term deal. He also has the right to bide his time, meaning he would not be required to attend team functions, including minicamps and training camp, until accepting the offer.

Such a decision would mean that Clements would miss valuable time learning the Bills' defensive philosophy under new head coach Dick Jauron, who took over last month following Mike Mularkey's resignation.

The Bills have the right to pull back the offer at any time, which would make Clements an unrestricted free agent.

Although the move makes Clements one of the NFL's top-paid cornerbacks next season, the salary is well below what the player envisioned getting when free agency opens March 3.

It's not a given Nate will show up for mini-camps or even training camp, if Todd France doesn't see an actual effort by the Bills to sign Nate to a long term deal. Some players are cool with the tag (All Pro OT Walter Jones comes to mind. Seattle franchised him 3 years in a row before finally giving him a long term deal last year) and others desperately want that big signing bonus that goes with a new deal. ( I believe Nate falls into this catagory ).

Marv did what he needed to do but this will probably be a mini soap opera before it's conclusion. Let's not get all warm and fuzzy too soon.
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_38719-->

Meathead
02-22-2006, 06:57 PM
out of necessity marv became masterful at dealing with difficult personalities and still winning

i dont care what nate thinks of the deal, he wont be able to take control of the situation. he really has no choice but to negotiate in good faith with the bills or accept the tag for the year

that doesnt mean he'll take that advice but if he doesnt he will regret it

ChristopherWalken
02-22-2006, 07:07 PM
He's not going to sit. It will only hurt his chances of getting a better contract later.

And I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I'm fairly sure that if Clements decides to sit out this season, he still owes Buffalo one more season until they either release him, trade him, or he gives in and plays .

The_Philster
02-22-2006, 07:09 PM
If anyone can get him to work with the team, it's Marv...like Meathead said, Marv is a master at dealing with big egos and difficult personalities

ICE74129
02-22-2006, 07:22 PM
I hope his agent is at the combine, sits down and says 'Hey, let me talk to other teams here and try to work out a trade. If I can do so, will you listen to the offers?'

He then talks to the Giants who offer up thier first rounder and we accept. March 3rd Clements is a giant, hopefully Moulds is an Eagle and we have two first round picks, two 2nds and two 3rds :-)

vicmantak
02-22-2006, 09:31 PM
If players like Rudi Johnson, Orlando pace, Donnie Abraham, etc were expected to sit and they did not... why Nate will do it when he is still young and it's the first time he is franchised?

clumping platelets
02-23-2006, 01:28 AM
If Clements signs the tender, he's obligated to attend all off-season activities.

ICE74129
02-23-2006, 07:24 AM
If Clements signs the tender, he's obligated to attend all off-season activities.

And, If he does then it is an immediate cap hit correct? This might pressure the Bills to trade him. I feel Buffalo is willing to tag him for the year. Personally I hate this approach.

A guy like alexander might be willing to go all out, but most will pay at 75% in order to not get hurt. If I tag a guy and can't get something worked out long term by the Draft, I look to trade.

eyedog
02-23-2006, 08:00 AM
He will definitely not sit out any games, it's possible if his agent wants to get stupid he could miss some camp.
I want no part of trading him for the giants #1 or anyone elses. I want him signed long term. He's young and will be a big part of the future. I would love to get a #2 for moulds but thats not happening. Other teams know there is a good chance he gets released outright so why give up a pick.
Nate has some risk involved also if he doesn't sign longterm. If he plays the season on the one year franchise tag and gets a serious injury he is screwed and has no bargaining power after the season then. Really the best thing for all involved is to reach a long tern contract. If so, the Bills will have their two top corners locked up for the next 5ys or so.

Saratoga Slim
02-23-2006, 08:10 AM
I just posted this in another thread, but here it is again from today's Democrat and Chronicle:

"In a recent interview with NFL Sirius Radio, Clements said he had spoken with Levy and knew that Buffalo was leaning toward placing the tag on him with the intention of buying more time to work out a long-term deal.

"He let me know I'm a priority on their list," Clements said. Even though he said "it was a bad atmosphere" in Buffalo last season, with players and coaches not on the same page under ex-coach Mike Mularkey, Clements said he wants to remain a Bill. "I started my career in Buffalo, and I've let them know time and again I do want to stay there," said Clements, who has started 72 straight games. "I want to get this turned around and start bringing in W's like Buffalo of old."

link: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060223/SPORTS03/602230352/1007/SPORTS

Either Marv is working his magic, or Nate's just posing for the Bills fans to make it look like he's trying to stay here, which makes OBD look like the bad guy if a contract cant be worked out. Let's hope its the former.

Meathead
02-23-2006, 08:14 AM
i would DEFENLLY go with marv working his magic

:up: old guys!