I can't Believe I heard this on the Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

I can't Believe I heard this on the Radio

WFAN out of NY, on the Mike and the Mad Dog-

A reporter (I can't recall who) was talking to the Buc's safety Lynch -Lynch told this reporter that on the Monday before the Super Bowl, in the first team meeting/film session- Gruden put up on the black board all of the Raider's Audibles, terminology, and signals.

Gruden figured that it might be useful - Figuring the Raiders would change all of the terminology and plays , but possibly keep them "Similar" - but not the same.

As it turns out, The Raiders NEVER changed a single thing from last season- WHEN GRUDEN WAS THE COACH!!!

Lynch- "It was like they gave us the playbook- we had guys on the spot on the field exactly where Gannon was throwing"

During the game , Lynch was wearing a wire and was over heard saying "They are running the exact plays that we ran in practice"

Gruden played Gannon in a lot of the practices, apparently immitating him to a "T".

Callahan should get fired .......
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

that is hilarious
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• shelby
      The Vanilla *****
      • Jul 2002

Holy :angry:!!!! They gift wrapped the Superbowl for Gruden!

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

That is about as dumb as a coaching job as it gets. If anything they should of run an audible once using the same terminolgy but then execute a different play and possibly beat Gruden at his own game. Callahan must of slept 8 hours evry night last week because his team was out coached and out played.

Comment

• MissBuffalo
          Quiddity
          • Jul 2002

LOL--he should be fired. That is the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time. I hope the next time I have to take a test, I get the answers before hand.
          See me here pushing you
          If I then deny I do
          Contemplate or wish away
          If I ask you not to stay

Comment

• Halbert
            I'm Not Normal
            • Jul 2002

I don't believe it. Sounds like smack to me.

Comment

• Ingtar33
              Dances With Buffaloes
              • Sep 2002

I heard the same rumor yesterday... not from Lynch, but from "someone" (I actually wish I could remember who), and he said that most of the audibles the Raiders used were the same that Gruden showed them.

If this is true than Callahan should be fired… That is the pinnacle of stupidity.
              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

I would think teams change their audibles regularly- when they cut players many are scooped up by opposing teams just to pick their brains on the opposition's playbooks.

Even if you play a division rival later in the year- you change the signals so they can't clue in on them.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                  • Aug 2002

There was no way the Raiders were going to win that game with Gruden being so familiar with that team. I totally believe he had the upper hand as soon as they beat Philly. If anyone knew the strengths and weaknesses of the Raiders, it's Gruden. Props to him for getting his team ready and Props to Tampa Smacking
                  Al Davis in the chops. Sorry to any Raider fans, I'm not a big Tampa fan but I am even less of a Raiders fan. You just cant believe some of the things fans say and do here in LA.
                  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                    • Jul 2002

It's one thing to know the team, know the players - strengths and weaknesses-

But to not change the terminology? The Play signals?

That would be like going to war and giving hte other side all the codebooks.

That was industrial strength stupid

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

if that is true,that's poor coaching on callahan's part.
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• northernbillfan
                        Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

I just listened to an interview with Jay Gruden, John's brother, on ESPN late night, where he said the exact same thing. Gruden played Gannon in practice, and every play was the same when they hit the field on Sunday.

He also added that when Gannon saw the adjustments, after calling the initial audible, he tried to change a play for the third time, it rattled him.
                        When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• mush69
                          • Jan 2003

During ESPN's sunday conversation (which took place in the locker room after the game)you can here both Derrick Brooks and Lynch confirm this. When they were asked how much and how well did Gruden knew the Raiders and what they would try to do?
                          They responded with the above comments! Fact!

Callahan should be fired, but not completely to blame. Does anybody think that maybe Al shoulda stepped in and atleast said "Change up the formations and audibles, we are playing our fomer head coach."

Industrial strength stupid
                          Last edited by mush69; 01-29-2003, 06:40 AM.
                          Don't Mistake Lack Of Talent For Genius

Comment

• McD
                            • Jan 2003

This is all truly unbelievable!! How utterly lazy can you be to not change anything when a new coach takes over?! I understand the logic of not wanting to change everything, but c'mon, you have to make some adjustments!

McD
                            22 year AF vet and "still" counting

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

So, that is the reason why the Raiders got that far? Callahan was really not that good...he was just living off of John Gruden's success! What a :angry:ing moron!

Callahan should be FIRED IMMEDIATELY!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X