PDA

View Full Version : I remember when Mcgahee was touted as the best player in the country

Mitchy moo
02-23-2006, 08:50 AM
As I recall it, Mcgahee was touted as the best player in the country at one time. Willis also has no excuses this year if he ever wants to get the "big" contract, I think he will get advised to run like the wind this year, all year.

Heisman Watch: Is McGahee best player on the best team?

By Mark Long

AP Sports Writer <HR width="100%" noShade SIZE=1><!-- ########### BEGIN STORY AND PHOTO TABLE ############# --><TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width=*>
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Willis McGahee has three losses this season, all to Miami teammate Ken Dorsey in a video game.
The last time, McGahee had the lead and the ball in the last two minutes. He didn't want to run out the clock, though. He started throwing, was intercepted, and lost.
"I wanted to score again," McGahee said. "I like scoring."
Now there's an understatement.
McGahee shattered the school record with 27 touchdowns this season, one of the many stats that make the 6-foot-1, 220-pound sophomore a leading contender for the Heisman Trophy as Saturday night's award ceremony approaches.
The running back also set school records for rushing, total yards, and 100-yard games -- prompting some to call him the best player on the best team in the country.
Not bad for a guy who wasn't even supposed to start this season.
He certainly has been the No. 1 Hurricanes' most consistent threat on offense, even more so than quarterback Dorsey, another possible Heisman winner.
McGahee ran 39 times for a career-high 205 yards and broke a 69-year-old school record with six touchdowns in Saturday's 56-45 win over No. 18 Virginia Tech, a game that completed Miami's 12-0 regular season.
When the Hurricanes needed tough yards, they turned to McGahee. When they needed big plays, they turned to McGahee. And when they needed to work the clock, they turned to McGahee.
"Willis probably earned himself a few more Heisman votes from people across the country, and rightfully so," center Brett Romberg said. "It's nothing new to us. It's the same old performance from Willis McGahee."
Indeed.
McGahee has 262 carries for 1,686 yards, including 10 100-yard games, and is Miami's third-leading receiver with 24 catches for 350 yards. He ranks second in the nation in scoring and fourth in rushing.
And he played his best in big games.
He had 214 total yards against Florida, 173 against Florida State, 171 against Tennessee, and 226 against Virginia Tech. No team was able to stop him; the only time McGahee was held under 100 total yards was in the opener against Connecticut, when he gained 60 yards on six carries before sitting out the second half because Miami had a big lead.
"What more can I say about Willis McGahee?" Miami coach Larry Coker said. "He's done so much for us this season."
Enough to win the Heisman?
McGahee doesn't think so. The quiet and unassuming Miami native figures his numbers aren't good enough and the competition is too good. McGahee hopes Dorsey wins the award given to the nation's most outstanding player, and he hopes he doesn't take too many votes away from the senior quarterback.
"I doubt I can get it because I've only been on the scene for like one year, and I didn't do as much as Kenny or the other quarterbacks did," McGahee said. "I don't know what the Heisman means in their terms, but in my terms it means the best overall player who has been performing the best to help their school win and getting the job done. I think it's a career thing. You just can't pop on the scene and try to win something that's such a great achievement."
Maybe next year.
McGahee vows to return but also says he will take a look at his NFL draft status after the Fiesta Bowl against No. 2 Ohio State.

http://www.centralohio.com/ohiostate...ll/546549.html (http://www.centralohio.com/ohiostate/stories/20021210/football/546549.html)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

THATHURMANATOR
02-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Do you also remeber that in the Fiesta Bowl his knee Exploded?

Mitchy moo
02-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Do you also remeber that in the Fiesta Bowl his knee Exploded?

That could happen to anyone during an NFL game as well, there are no guarantees.

THATHURMANATOR
02-23-2006, 09:07 AM
So what is your point? Or were you just reminiscing?

tampabay25690
02-23-2006, 09:08 AM
I guess you haven't seen the Buffalo Bills Offensive line block...........

Mitchy moo
02-23-2006, 09:13 AM
So what is your point? Or were you just reminiscing?

The draft is coming up and I just was thinking about how Bush & Willis had similiar hype. Willis came to the draft limping so that is different but up until that point they had many things in common. No one really knows how good bush will be.

THATHURMANATOR
02-23-2006, 09:17 AM
I would say before he blew his knee out they may of had the same type of hype but leading up to the draft it was speculated Willis would possibly slip to the 2nd or 3rd round...

TedMock
02-23-2006, 09:45 AM
The draft is funny. I remember reading that Jason Peters could slip to the third or round, and be a good TE pick for some team. He goes undrafted, and winds up a starting tackle. I would love to see all the inside stuff that the NFL guys see. I'm sure I would have very different opinions on a lot of players.

THATHURMANATOR
02-23-2006, 09:47 AM
Agreed Ted!