PDA

View Full Version : Franchise/Transition Tag updates..

Mahdi
02-23-2006, 12:28 PM
KFFL is reporting that Backus will receive the Franchise Tag, while Hutchinson will receive the transition tag.

mysticsoto
02-23-2006, 12:35 PM
KFFL is reporting that Backus will receive the Franchise Tag, while Hutchinson will receive the transition tag.

I believe the transition tag means we could make him a better offer to lure him away without having to pay Seattle anything. So now it depends on how much they are paying him and if we can beat that enough to lure Hutchinson here. Personally, I rather Bentley than Hutchinson - if we are only able to get one of them. I feel an experienced Center is better than starting a rookie at Center. It is easier to start a rookie top Guard...

ICE74129
02-23-2006, 12:42 PM
I believe the transition tag means we could make him a better offer to lure him away without having to pay Seattle anything. So now it depends on how much they are paying him and if we can beat that enough to lure Hutchinson here. Personally, I rather Bentley than Hutchinson - if we are only able to get one of them. I feel an experienced Center is better than starting a rookie at Center. It is easier to start a rookie top Guard...

Depending on the type of transition tag we would have to owe the a first round pick and some extra I think.

ICE74129
02-23-2006, 12:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2342022

I hope Buffalo can out bid for him. I also hope Alexander says no thanks and heads to Carolina :dance2:

mysticsoto
02-23-2006, 12:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2342022

I hope Buffalo can out bid for him. I also hope Alexander says no thanks and heads to Carolina :dance2:

At $6.3 Million? I doubt Buffalo can afford that for a LG. Say goodbye to Hutchinson. We will have to draft a top guard in the 2nd or Preston may have to fill the role. Now the Center position becomes important. I wonder how much Bentley is looking for. If I recall, he was only making $500k in NO. Would $4-ish million be reasonable to him? B'cse that's probably what the Bills will probably want to pay. Otherwise, we may have to get a top guard in the 2nd to start at LG and Preston will have to assume duties at the Center. Luckily, McNally took Preston b'cse of his brains also. Preston is supposed to be really smart and hopefully can adapt fast. My concern with him last year was his upper body strength. I seriously hope he's working hard on that during the offseason.

Saratoga Slim
02-23-2006, 01:16 PM
I've been saying it all along. Bentley is our man. he's young too, he could be here for a while. hate to rain on Preston's parade if he's making big progress, but move him to Gaurd.

Mahdi
02-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Bentley is expected to seek a contract similar to the one the Carolina Panthers gave free-agent guard Mike Wahle last year to lure him from the Green Bay Packers. Wahle reportedly signed a five-year deal worth up to $28 million with $11.5 million in bonuses.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-21/1135249737277260.xml

I wonder if we would sign him to a contract of that size....

ryjam282
02-23-2006, 01:36 PM
He would definitely be worth it...Especially at his age.

Marvelous
02-23-2006, 03:33 PM
I thoughts RFA's got comp[ensation based on the amound of money they are offered. ??? While Transition is like what Cincy did with Spikes..We can offer and they can counter if they choose...Am i correct?

camelcowboy
02-23-2006, 04:11 PM
OK im no expert but, this is how i think it goes. There are two franchise tags, one tag means the player is untouchable. One is a little less cap heavy but only offers a 1st round and 3rd round pick protection. The transition means that the team that places the tag can match any offer a team gives him. But will receive nothing if he lets them go. 6 million is alot of money but, keep in mind with a transition deal we could back load a contract. Especially with a team like Seattle who is against the cap like it is. We could really work the contract so they couldn't match it.