X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hammerbillsfan
    • Aug 2005

Modano skips out on final U.S. hockey meeting

Visit NBCOlympics.com for Summer Olympics live streams, highlights, schedules, results, news, athlete bios and more from Paris 2024.

TORINO, Italy (AP) -- Mike Modano packed up his stuff and left Italy on Thursday morning, skipping a final meeting with his Olympic teammates after they were eliminated a night earlier in the men's hockey quarterfinals.

USA Hockey spokesman Dave Fischer said the longtime Dallas Stars forward -- who sharply criticized team management after the Americans' elimination Wednesday -- was the only member of the 23-player squad not to gather at the arena where the Americans were knocked out by Finland.

Modano lashed out after he was benched by coach Peter Laviolette for most of the third period of the 4-3 loss.

"A lot of guys have been there for many years, and maybe we need some new blood in there to run things a little differently,'' said Modano, who has represented the U.S. in 11 international competitions. "It's probably time some things changed.''
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: Modano skips out on final U.S. hockey meeting

He deserved the benching. He didn't do squat
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• DMBcrew36
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
      He deserved the benching. He didn't do squat
      Yea, he only had 2 important goals in the tourny.
      That is 2 more than the rest of the old-timers, might I add.

We should be applauding Modano for saying what the rest of us have been saying all along. But unlike us, atleast Modano has been heard.

Comment

• SabreEleven
        • Aug 2002

USA hasn't won the gold in 24 years, something has to change.

Comment

• pyrrhonist
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
          We should be applauding Modano for saying what the rest of us have been saying all along. But unlike us, atleast Modano has been heard.

Well said. I know I was one all along who said the US would be fortunate just to get to the medal round.....and it wasn't just because Miller wasn't selected. This team had problems on the entire roster. It was too old, and there wasn't enough speed to keep up on the wider ice. When you have the speed and skill levels of Sweden, Russia, and the Finns out there and you counter with 35-40 year olds, and hulking ogres on defense, you're in for a looooong tournament. And the US saw just that during it's "performances" (Word used lightly).

Modano went up a few more notches in my eyes.

Comment

• hammerbillsfan
            • Aug 2005

We'll probably see Chelios in the next Olympics.

Comment

• SkateZilla
              • Dec 2002

From What I Saw Madano Was Being MIRO SATAN-Like in the Quarters.. So He was Benched and he acted like miro.. wah wah wah

Next Olympics.. we Have Drury - Connolly - Kessel 2nd Line next Olyp..

yeah right.. USA Committee wont bother realizing their mistake in selection

I'd Rather See Grier PLay for USA than Modano...
              Skate Zilla
              -----------------------
              Skate Zilla HD Studios:
              SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by hammerbillsfan
                http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/5129...tml?qs=pt=espn

TORINO, Italy (AP) --

"A lot of guys have been there for many years, and maybe we need some new blood in there to run things a little differently,'' said Modano, who has represented the U.S. in 11 international competitions. "It's probably time some things changed.''
                Yes- like leaving all the really old farts Like Modano and his crappy team mate Billy Guerin home and bringing in Guys like Connolly

Looked like Bingo night at the old folks home at the rink.

Comment

• pyrrhonist
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by SkateZilla
                  I'd Rather See Grier PLay for USA than Modano...

I sincerely hope you're kidding, Skate. Modano is 10x the player Grier is. Sure, he's a tad old, but I'd take him on Buffalo any day over a utility player like Grier. At least Buffalo would have a go-to center other than Briere.

The 2010 Olympics will be a much different beast (Thankfully)---I just hope that Parise, Kessel, Johnson, and some of the other up-&-comers are ready to shoulder a team in 4 years.

Comment

• SkateZilla
                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by pyrrhonist

I sincerely hope you're kidding, Skate. Modano is 10x the player Grier is. Sure, he's a tad old, but I'd take him on Buffalo any day over a utility player like Grier. At least Buffalo would have a go-to center other than Briere.

The 2010 Olympics will be a much different beast (Thankfully)---I just hope that Parise, Kessel, Johnson, and some of the other up-&-comers are ready to shoulder a team in 4 years.

Someone - Timmah - Kessel
                    Skate Zilla
                    -----------------------
                    Skate Zilla HD Studios:
                    SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

Working...
                    X