X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Adams does not fit Bills system says Marv

I was just listening to Marv's interview with Pat Kirwan on sirius NFL radio (interview is on BB.com) and when asked about Adams and Vincent he said that Adams doesnt quite fit the system because they want players who "fly to the ball" where as Adams is more of a 3-4 Nose type DT. This probably also means that Ngata is not an option at our #8 draft pick. On Vincent he said that he has done some good things. So im thinking the Bills may be looking to either move up and get Brick, or draft Huff or Jimmy Williams who would be great in a cover 2 scheme. And then in the second we can take a player like Bunckley who fits what Marv is describing at DT. This is assuming OL is addressed in FA. If not, maybe we take Triplett from Indy. and go OL in the second.
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Adams does not fit Bills system says Marv

Originally posted by Mahdi
    I was just listening to Marv's interview with Pat Kirwan on sirius NFL radio (interview is on BB.com) and when asked about Adams and Vincent he said that Adams doesnt quite fit the system because they want players who "fly to the ball" where as Adams is more of a 3-4 Nose type DT. This probably also means that Ngata is not an option at our #8 draft pick. On Vincent he said that he has done some good things. So im thinking the Bills may be looking to either move up and get Brick, or draft Huff or Jimmy Williams who would be great in a cover 2 scheme. And then in the second we can take a player like Bunckley who fits what Marv is describing at DT. This is assuming OL is addressed in FA. If not, maybe we take Triplett from Indy. and go OL in the second.
    I am starting to think we move up somehow and get D'brick. Marv remembers how it is to have a probowl LT. I also am starting to think that they will address DT in Free agency. Milloy will be gone and SS addressed as well.

If they can't move up to get D'brick, I am not sure how they go. I agree Ngata may not be what Marv and DJ have in mind for a DT. Who in the draft is more like Tommie Harris from OU? That is the type of DT they want

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Speaking of, Both DT's for Chicago are barely over 300lbs but Very stong, very good technique and quickness. Both DE's are slightly over 260.

They want speed, Quickness and technique. Not a bad combo to have.

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ICE74129
        Speaking of, Both DT's for Chicago are barely over 300lbs but Very stong, very good technique and quickness. Both DE's are slightly over 260.

They want speed, Quickness and technique. Not a bad combo to have.
        Thats why I was thinking of maybe Bunckley, who is a Tommie Harris type player. Slightly undersized but gets to the QB and penetrates well. Or maybe Orien Harris as well.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

As long as we don't get Ngata I'm happy. I watched him in the Holiday Bowl and he was non-existent.

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Carlton Bailey
            As long as we don't get Ngata I'm happy. I watched him in the Holiday Bowl and he was non-existent.
            I agree.

Comment

• Night Train
              Retired - On Several Levels
              • Jul 2005

That's rather surprising.

Adams has shown he can just blow into the backfield with a quick initial move many times over, in his 3 years here. How could that not fit the Cover 2 ?

Lets review. We let Pat Williams walk and now people wish to cut Adams. That leaves us with what in the middle of the DL, other than short on talent ?

Cheap contracts will not impress the opposing teams OL, who will just run over us until we can prove we can stop them.
              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

I miss the days when the Bills had Ted Washington/Pat Williams or Pat Williams/Sam Adams in the middle and teams couldn't run on us.

Besides bums at QB last year, the Bills biggest problem was stopping the run. Pat Williams was clearly missed.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

Marv's philosophy worries me. Our fast, athletic defense of the Super Bowl years was fun to watch and obviously pretty good. But it was a smallish, not extremely "smash mouth"-type unit which was in large part responsible for our not being able to stop our more physical NFC opponents.

I would like to see Adams and Ngata anchoring a monster line.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                    That's rather surprising.

Adams has shown he can just blow into the backfield with a quick initial move many times over, in his 3 years here. How could that not fit the Cover 2 ?

Lets review. We let Pat Williams walk and now people wish to cut Adams. That leaves us with what in the middle of the DL, other than short on talent ?

Cheap contracts will not impress the opposing teams OL, who will just run over us until we can prove we can stop them.
                    I agree with what you've said. Getting rid of Adams this year is ascinine.

Comment

• Mahdi
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      Marv's philosophy worries me. Our fast, athletic defense of the Super Bowl years was fun to watch and obviously pretty good. But it was a smallish, not extremely "smash mouth"-type unit which was in large part responsible for our not being able to stop our more physical NFC opponents.

Chicago doesnt seem to have trouble stopping their opponents and their heaviest starting DL is Ian Scott at 302 pounds. So I think what Marv is saying is correct, you need to get the players who fit the system.

Comment

• madness
                        • Apr 2003

Players with "character". This is not Adams. Brick is though...

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Carlton Bailey
                          I guess OU being one of the top programs in the nation didn't have anything to do with it? Nor the fact he had to face Davin Joseph one of the top OLinemen in this draft either. I am sure this link had nothing to do with it either...

If there is a contraption or drill out there that will help construct a stronger, faster OU player, Jerry Schmidt knows about it, writes Ivan Maisel.

By your thought process, everyone should pass on Reggie Bush in the top 10 as well right? I mean Adrian Peterson put up 200+ on texASS as a freshman so Reggie must suck.

Guys have bad games ALL of them have bad games. You can't judge an essential rookie NFL QB on just 8 games just like you can't judge a college player on one bowl game.

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by madness
                            Players with "character". This is not Adams. Brick is though...
                            Agreed!

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers

What defenses are winning games now though? the Cover 2. Those teams don't have monsters in the middle. They have technique, smarts combined with Strength and quickness.

Adams is a self serving player as well. That won't fly under marvs command. And as for as the Superbowl years, We had one major problem. We ran a 3/4 with a weak assed/ Small NT. had we went 4-3 or had a ted washington at NT, we would have been fine. But when the center can man handle the NT alone....you are screwed.

Comment

Working...
                              X