PDA

View Full Version : Good article about Williams' era, Ferguson next?

Carlton Bailey
02-24-2006, 10:43 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/mike-williams-bills240206.php

Getting D'Brick would be pretty awesome. Thats my dream pick (other than Reggie Bush).

McGahee420
02-24-2006, 03:20 PM
I really hope we get him, that would be amazing!

gr8slayer
02-24-2006, 06:09 PM
I bet Willis and JP hope we get him.

ublinkwescore
02-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Why in the hell would Reggie Bush be anyone's dream pick?

He's not a need, and in this league, you don't fix something if it isn't broken - continuity is the secret that so many of us seem to forget about - look what Cowher did, look what Holmgren finally did, Carolina has had their head coach since we've hired Gregg Williams, bellicheck has been with the Pats for a while, and Dungy was with the Bucs for quite a while as well before getting kicked out of town and picked up with Indy.

In this league, you try to fix your problems with the best possible solution - not a non problem with someone who you think can be better.

Carlton Bailey
02-24-2006, 09:32 PM
ublink,

My dream pick is Reggie Bush because he's so ***** good. I know it isn't going to happen, so calm down.

LifetimeBillsFan
02-25-2006, 02:02 AM
D'Brick is the only guy in this draft that I would even consider trading up to get in this draft. IMHO the comparison to Kent Hull at the end of the article was apt--he's that kind of player.

Now, for me to be saying that is really a big step because I usually don't push for a single player that much. But, knowing that this was a deep draft and that the Bills would really need a LT, I started paying special attention to left tackles whenever I watched college football games the past two seasons (and I watch a lot of them 4-6 or more a week on two TVs side-by-side). I had heard a lot of announcers talking up Ferguson, so whenever I had a chance to watch Virginia, I would pay particular attention to him to see if he was as good as they were all saying--I was actually hoping to pick him apart so that I could say that he wasn't that good. Well, he was the best pass-blocking LT that I have seen in the last couple of years by far: I don't think I ever saw anyone beat him or even get by him in time to get to the QB in 6-8 games and it seemed like he was able to consistently get in front of and virtually engulf every guy he played against. The only criticism of him that I could come up with after watching him was that, sometimes, on running plays going away from him he can occasionally look lost going after guys on the second-level. More than once I saw him pancake and bury his own man and then look around for a second man to block instead of immediately running to the ball and picking out a guy to block on the way. Now, this is really nit-picking and a very small criticism given how well he does everything else--especially pass blocking--but it is something that he will have to learn to do better on the pro level. Still, unlike Marcus McNeill, Ferguson did not just stand around on these occasions, but was actually looking for a man to lay into and when he found one, he would go after him and usually get him. So, it's not like he is lazy, at all--just that he can be so dominant at times that he actually needs to find a second player to block and has to learn to do that on the run rather than pausing first to look.

I was surprised to learn that he was only 292 lbs. because he looks so big and just overpowers his man so much. Because he is a local kid from Long Island and the Jets do have some interest in him, he was recently interviewed on WNBC Channel 4 in NYC and he told Len Berman that part of the reason that he is so light is that he did not start out playing offensive line and, while he has put on considerable weight since he has been at Virginia, adding weight has been somewhat of a problem because he works out so much. He added that he anticipates being able to put on some more weight, probably 10-15 lbs this year, and to be at a weight that will satisfy the NFL team that drafts him by opening of training camp.

I think the Bills would be very fortunate to be able to get Ferguson in this draft. Even though their need is more in the interior of the offensive line, that's a lot easier place to find people to play and there are ways that the Bills could fill their needs there if they do draft Ferguson. It is a lot harder to find a guy, like Ferguson, who has the potential to be a dominant LT, not just a good one or a very good one. Now let's see if the Bills can get him!

jdbillsfan
02-25-2006, 09:29 AM
I guess you didn't watch the Virginia Tech game then. Tapp beat him a couple times to the QB.

guy
02-25-2006, 09:40 AM
if the bills are thinking of trading up, it should be for mario williams.