PDA

View Full Version : If Jp was on this years draft...

justasportsfan
02-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Would you still take him over Lienart , Culter or Young if he was in this years draft inspite of seeing him play? Forget about where we drafted him of what we gave up for him, if he wasn't on our roster last year and we needed to draft a qb this year, would you take him ?

Discuss.

kgun12
02-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Yes cause we still don't know his full potential! The same question could have been asked to S.D. the year after Brees became the starter as well as Gaints and Eli, Bengals with Palmer, Bills in Kelly's fist year and on an on. As with every QB draft class history has shown that a couple of this year QB's will struggle or just plain bust, it's the nature of the beast. BTW history has shown that a good % of this year's 1st rounders at all position will be less than great. Give J.P. a good line and a whole year to show us what he can do, than ask this question, right now it isn't fair to ask. If every player (QB) could go into a situation like Rothlisbuger did what fun would all this draft stuff be away!

justasportsfan
02-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Yes cause we still don't know his full potential! The same question could have been asked to S.D. the year after Brees became the starter as well as Gaints and Eli, Bengals with Palmer, Bills in Kelly's fist year and on an on. As with every QB draft class history has shown that a couple of this year QB's will struggle or just plain bust, it's the nature of the beast. BTW history has shown that a good % of this year's 1st rounders at all position will be less than great. Give J.P. a good line and a whole year to show us what he can do, than ask this question, right now it isn't fair to ask. If every player (QB) could go into a situation like Rothlisbuger did what fun would all this draft stuff be away!

we don't know about Lienert's, Cutler's and Youngs potential either but we've seen a little bit of JP. My questions is, would you still take him over those guys. Would JP be ranked higher than Lienert?

X-Era
02-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Would you still take him over Lienart , Culter or Young if he was in this years draft inspite of seeing him play? Forget about where we drafted him of what we gave up for him, if he wasn't on our roster last year and we needed to draft a qb this year, would you take him ?

Discuss.I assume by taking him over Leinhart, Cutler, and Young you mean taking him with a top 10 pick.

If thats what you mean, the answer is no. I would not draft him with a top 10 pick. A few of the guys you mentioned I WOULD take with a top ten pick.

Now, I have said many times that I think Losman looked better lat year than many hall of famers did in their first years. That is worth absolutely nothing though because Losman hasnt proven he can be a quality starter yet, much less oneof the leagues best. The question here isnt whether any of those guys are better. Because NONE of them have shown they are better in the NFL yet. Its all just a waste of time to go here.

If the guts of your discussion is whether or not there are better prospects than when Losman was a prospect, its a dumb question, of course there are. But ALL of them have proven NOTHING. And Losman did just about average in his first year, and IMO did pretty well.

So, I continue to want to find out what we have in Losman. I also feel that he has every chance to win and keep the job all year. I also feel good that Losman will be much better than last year.

Would I trade Losman and draft another high 1st QB? Im not sure I would, it puts us even farther behind in the near future but may lead us to a better long term future. Thats a big risk and I dont see the worth in it.

Moulds wont be back, Adams probably wont either, Jauron isnt gonna bend over for whiny vets and Levys will just plain cut them if they try it. Its a moot point, Losman has a great chance to be our starting QB in 06.

justasportsfan
02-25-2006, 12:52 PM
I assume by taking him over Leinhart, Cutler, and Young you mean taking him with a top 10 pick.

If thats what you mean, the answer is no. I would not draft him with a top 10 pick. A few of the guys you mentioned I WOULD take with a top ten pick.

that's all I was asking.

kgun12
02-25-2006, 12:59 PM
we don't know about Lienert's, Cutler's and Youngs potential either but we've seen a little bit of JP. My questions is, would you still take him over those guys. Would JP be ranked higher than Lienert?

J.P. was ranked 4 or 5 in his draft class the year he came out. So it is logical to think that these guys would be drafted higher then him to begin with. I said it the year M. Williams and Harrington were drafted I said it the year J.P. was and any other year in the draft. I would NEVER draft a QB in the 1st round EVER!!! The potential for a miss at the QB position is much too high! For all the successful 1st round picks at QB there are 2 that never make it at this position. The examples I would fall back to are Brady and Montana. Then again you have to look at the situation these kids are coming into. Why are teams picking these players in the 1st round is because the team sucks, having said that the chances for them to do well isn't there. Now in the case of Rothlisbuger the Steelers had much of what they needed in place for him to successed, and I would go as far as to say that the QB position was almost all they needed.

Until J.p. is given a solid line and a hole year to show what he has I am not willing to give up on him. Again I have said it many times, will he be great who knows, but we won't know unless he plays. If the Bills were in the situation that the steelers were in, then I say go get a QB in FA like a Brees, but not in the 1st round, cause you never know what you are going to get. Look at young, about half of the so called experts thinks he will do well half think he will be a bust. Then again we could say that about any QB or player coming out of college. Just ask Leaf, Bosworth, Manderith (sp) or Williams people.

kgun12
02-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Besides we didn't use a top 10 pick on J.P. either that year.

Dozerdog
02-25-2006, 01:08 PM
If JP Losman was dropped back into this draft, I'd put him as a 3rd-5th rounder.

justasportsfan
02-25-2006, 01:15 PM
If JP Losman was dropped back into this draft, I'd put him as a 3rd-5th rounder.wow, that low huh? So Cutler and Young have better potential

kgun12
02-25-2006, 01:17 PM
If JP Losman was dropped back into this draft, I'd put him as a 3rd-5th rounder.

I guess this would be like saying if M. Williams dropped back into the draft I'd put him as a 4-6 rounder or Ryan Leaf, I would never draft him!

Looking back on it now, that's a pretty easy call. He was rated either the 4 or 5 best QB coming out. Late 1st early 2nd. Like I said above YOU NEVER KNOW.

Dozerdog
02-25-2006, 01:28 PM
wow, that low huh? So Cutler and Young have better potential

A number of factors-

1- The top QBs (Young/Leinart) are much better prospects then Roethlisberger & Rivers IMO and on par with Manning.

2- In 2004, there were a lot more desperate teams looking for the QB of the future, thus propelling QB stock. 5-6 teams now have theirs.

3- Losman was hurt by bad QB development & playcalling. I am putting Losman in this year's draft with the idea teams went off his 2004-2005 experience- not trying to project where he would go just off of college production.

kgun12
02-25-2006, 01:33 PM
wow, that low huh? So Cutler and Young have better potential

R. Leaf and R. Mier were rated either 1 or 1a the year they came out! SO WHAT!

justasportsfan
02-25-2006, 01:38 PM
R. Leaf and R. Mier were rated either 1 or 1a the year they came out! SO WHAT!I started this thread because I am not a college football fan and don't know much about the draft picks. I was just curious as to where Jp ranks in talent based on the qb's in the draft.

Even if they are better than JP, I wouldn't trade him like the rumor that log started on another thread. I liked what I saw in JP based on his physical ability . Reminds me of either Steve Young or Brett farve.

slakjaw157
02-25-2006, 01:45 PM
J.P. was ranked 4 or 5 in his draft class the year he came out. So it is logical to think that these guys would be drafted higher then him to begin with. I said it the year M. Williams and Harrington were drafted I said it the year J.P. was and any other year in the draft. I would NEVER draft a QB in the 1st round EVER!!! The potential for a miss at the QB position is much too high! For all the successful 1st round picks at QB there are 2 that never make it at this position. The examples I would fall back to are Brady and Montana. Then again you have to look at the situation these kids are coming into. Why are teams picking these players in the 1st round is because the team sucks, having said that the chances for them to do well isn't there. Now in the case of Rothlisbuger the Steelers had much of what they needed in place for him to successed, and I would go as far as to say that the QB position was almost all they needed.

Very good point!

kgun12
02-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I started this thread because I am not a college football fan and don't know much about the draft picks. I was just curious as to where Jp ranks in talent based on the qb's in the draft.

Even if they are better than JP, I wouldn't trade him like the rumor that log started on another thread. I liked what I saw in JP based on his physical ability . Reminds me of either Steve Young or Brett farve.

I understand but to say that he would go in 3-5 round like dozer said is just silly. He ran almost as well a young, but has a much better arm and thowing motions. Young to me; is just looking at his strenghts and weaknesses has potential to be one of the biggest flopps ever. I hope not cause I like the kid, but I would not draft this kid. He is the prefect example of a QB that should not go on the fist day, to many questions, but like I said before bad teams will take him and hope he pans out.

Dozerdog
02-25-2006, 02:17 PM
I understand but to say that he would go in 3-5 round like dozer said is just silly. He ran almost as well a young, but has a much better arm and thowing motions. Young to me; is just looking at his strenghts and weaknesses has potential to be one of the biggest flopps ever. I hope not cause I like the kid, but I would not draft this kid. He is the prefect example of a QB that should not go on the fist day, to many questions, but like I said before bad teams will take him and hope he pans out.
He also beat (on the road no less) two teams that will have a combined 20 players in the first day of the draft- USC and Ohio State.

These were two great defenses- and he beat up on a lot of other top competition. Scouts do put a lot of stock in that.

You want to say that Young will have a passing career similar to Vick? I'd have to agree- he won't be a Manning or some other gunslinger.

Is he better than Losman? I'd have to say very much so.

Bill Cody
02-25-2006, 09:33 PM

Discuss.

Not no. hell no.

BSXIII
02-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Nobody knows for a fact how Losman will turn out in the NFL, but there is evidence to support that Donahoe drastically overvalued him. Donahoe failed to build an offensive line for this team, and suggested that a "mobile QB" was a substitute for a good OL. If you look around the league, you'll see that his theory is basically a band-aid for a shotgun wound. To be a top team, you need a top O-line. There have been no exceptions to this rule. Every team that has won a Super Bowl has had a great O-line.

As for potential, that is a very debatable subject as well. During Losman's senior year at Tulane his team went 5-7. Should the QB take all the blame for the losses? Absolutely not. But have great QB's been able to dominate the competition in college. I think there is evidence to support that. I think if you objectively look at it, Losman should be given a chance to compete, but should not be looked upon as a can't miss prospect or a savior. The evidence does not support that.

Billsrock4life
02-26-2006, 03:19 PM
i would say he wouldnt get picked until the 3rd or 4th round

Jeff1220
02-26-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't know a lot about Cutler, other than he is flying up draft boards and has some impressive bench strength for a QB, but I'd definitely take Leinart over JP if they were in the same draft. He has played, with much success, in a pro-style offense and, I would think, a safe pick at QB. I would still take JP over Young. I think the VY is an exciting player to watch, who has a lot of heart, but there's too much risk with him. If a team picks him in the top 5, they will be shelling out huge $$. If it works out, great; if not, that team will be set back for many years. I guess I'm saying that I'd take JP at his price over Young at what he will command.

Al13
02-27-2006, 07:20 AM
just in case you would get LEINART, you guys all make sure to learn the right spelling......

TedMock
02-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Leinart would be the top QB in many draft years including the Manning, Rivers, Big Ben, JP year. Leinart is a better college QB than every one of them. So no, I would not take JP over Leinart. However, I would take JP over Young and Cutler simply because I think both are being grossly overhyped right now. Young is a flat-out project, and Cutler isn't all that different from JP. Mobile, strong armed, etc. Best player on a bad team, who got recognition late because of it.