PDA

View Full Version : QB Competition Step 1 - The Contenders

Meathead
02-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Lets list who we think are the real contenders for the third candidate in the Bills QB competition

I'll start by suggesting Jon Kitna. He's no Carson Palmer but I've been impressed with the guy every time I see him play. I think he'd be an small upgrade over Holcomb because he can scramble and give our rebuilding OL time to gel, while also being ready to lead the team right now in a way JP probably cant, to start the season anyway

Who else?

The_Philster
02-26-2006, 08:09 AM
Patrick Ramsey...hasn't been very good for the Skins, but I know I wanted him in 2002 as a Bill...who knows? maybe some time in the league, even with what little he's done, would help him.

Bill Brasky
02-26-2006, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Kitna or McCown from Arizona.

ScottLawrence
02-26-2006, 10:17 AM
I was just about to say bring in Josh McCown from Arizona.

Hes just the guy Marv indicated there looking for to bring in.

DraftBoy
02-26-2006, 12:16 PM
All so far mentioned are good picks, tho Id like to see us also bring in a development project like Bruce Eugene from Grambling in the draft.

gonzo1105
02-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Craig Nall Baby!

Billsrock4life
02-26-2006, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Kitna or McCown from Arizona.

agreed i like Kitna and McCown has shown flashes of talent

Spiderweb
02-26-2006, 04:10 PM
I was just about to say bring in Josh McCown from Arizona.

Hes just the guy Marv indicated there looking for to bring in.

He seems to have the best upside of the lot. Kitna is a proven second rate QB. Holcomb is as good as he is, therefore no to Kitna (emphatically).

Meathead
02-26-2006, 07:03 PM
like i said the reason i like kitna is hes a pretty good scrambler, something holcomb isnt. while i like holcomb as an adequate starter on a team with a line that can protect him, im not confident the bills will be able to make enough improvement in one season to keep holcomb from getting his brains smashed in. kitna would give the bills some reliability while they try to get the new line to gel

i havent seen mcnown more than one game i think so im not sure but he looks like he can move around pretty well too. any other perspectives on him in that regard?

Spiderweb
02-26-2006, 08:19 PM
like i said the reason i like kitna is hes a pretty good scrambler, something holcomb isnt. while i like holcomb as an adequate starter on a team with a line that can protect him, im not confident the bills will be able to make enough improvement in one season to keep holcomb from getting his brains smashed in. kitna would give the bills some reliability while they try to get the new line to gel

i havent seen mcnown more than one game i think so im not sure but he looks like he can move around pretty well too. any other perspectives on him in that regard?

Here's a link to some Josh McCown stats....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=3609

YardRat
02-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Tory Woodbury, or whoever we draft on day two this April.

Dozerdog
02-26-2006, 09:45 PM
That Gradowski kid from Toledo in the 5th sounds like a Van pelt type- someone who could be a dependable backup for 5-6 seasons or more

tonyc37
02-27-2006, 06:18 AM
if you watch the combone at all the most impressive qb that would be there on day two was inge martin from furman.transfered form florida and was at or near the top of all the drills at the combine.4.6 in the forty,highets arm velocity in his group and made all the throws.he is 6-4 and 225lbs. with a big arm.check him out

LifetimeBillsFan
02-27-2006, 12:26 PM
How about Brett Elliot from Linfield as a very late round pick or UFA as a developmental prospect? Didn't get invited to The Combine but has stunning numbers--was the starter at Utah before he broke his wrist and Alex Smith took over.

Elliott measured 6-foot-2 7/8 and 203 pounds before the start of the 2005 season, weighs 201 now. Was 23-1 as the starter for D-3 Linfield where he threw for 8,614 yards and 110 touchdown passes, 49 in 2005, the last two seasons. Elliott's career completion rate of 68.1 percent is the NCAA record for all divisions. He threw for 450-plus yards on six occasions and 528 yards in his career finale. He had four or more touchdown passes 15 times and authored a pair of seven-touchdown pass outings. He also threw the winning TD pass in the Hula Bowl.

Scouts seem to disagree on his arm-strength from "high-average" to sufficient. But its tough to overlook a guy who threw 61 TD passes in a season--even if you only have him in for a workout.

Most of the above info comes from this article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2343005&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2006, 01:55 PM
He seems to have the best upside of the lot. Kitna is a proven second rate QB. Holcomb is as good as he is, therefore no to Kitna (emphatically).
Not that I am huge on bringing him in but Kitna was an MVP candidate the Season before they gave the rains to Palmer. I don't remember Holcomb ever coming close to that.

ICE74129
02-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Not that I am huge on bringing him in but Kitna was an MVP candidate the Season before they gave the rains to Palmer. I don't remember Holcomb ever coming close to that.

Did you see kitna in the playoff game? Now you know why he is a backup.

ICE74129
02-27-2006, 02:23 PM
I think we draft Brodie Croyle