PDA

View Full Version : Who got the right cap room numbers?

X-Era
02-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Every year abou this time, we are stuck with the clowns that respond to each "lets get this guy" post with "we dont have the money". Its been happening every year. That leads to how much money do we have. That answer is vague at best. I trust in Clumpy, but even he admits that the numbers are often off.

Example:

Patmorans blog: http://blogs.foxsports.com/patmoran2006/2006/02/24/Moulds_Hour_Glass_Is_Up_And_More_Will_Follow

it states: "With the release of four-year tackle Mike Williams days ago, Buffalo will be around $10.2 million under the cap."

That would be AFTER Nates tag.

Later it states: " If the Bills cut Moulds and Adams they'll be under the cap by close to $14 million, after already franchising Nate Clements. "

Now, Clumpy states: "I recommend caution when using this information. If you remember last off-season, all media reports had the Bills $12-17 million under. I had them $5-7 million under. In reality, the Bills were actually over and the release of Bledsoe and restructuring of Moulds were necessary to insure the Bills were cap compliant at the start of the 2005 League Year."

Which talks to the problem.

His numbers show: "As of 2/4/06, I have the Bills $6,474,477 under an ESTIMATED salary cap of $93,500,000 million with $137,059 "dead cap". Which is before the 5.89mil tag which comes of the space we had. That means that using Clumps numbers, we went to 589K of cap room. We then cut Mike which by Clumps numbers saved us an additional 4.907 mil. Add that back in and we are up to 5.5mil under.

So thats a 5 mil discrepancy between Pat and Clump.

I pose the question to both of you: How much stock should we put into your numbers? Should ANYONE say that we dont have enough money for (insert Player name here)?

Answer those questions honestly if you would please.

Simply put, IMO, we should not look at any persons cap numbers as the gospel and be stuck thinking we cant sign player x, y, or z.

Now, I trust these guys and thank god they are out there to do this work.

But, IMO we will be able to land a top tier OL and mid level or even top tier DT when all is said and done. Does anybody see why that cant happen?

ArcticWildMan
02-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Don't forget the cap number for this year is going to be higher than anybody expected (95 mil was what I read yesterday).

patmoran2006
02-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Actually.. Clumpy is the cap expert. I often go off his numbers if I can't find what I''m looking for elsewhere.

And it is also possible I made an omission on the amount after potential cuts of Moulds and Adams.

I think Clump will also be the first one to tell you, nobody knows for sure. There are escalators and bonuses that nobody really knows about..

you can take this to the bank though. If the bills cut Moulds and Adams they can be free agent players. If they don't, they won't be.

Campbell, Anderson, Gandy, Posey and Milloy would create decent cap room, but at this time none of them at least publicly are said to be getting cut.

Meathead
02-26-2006, 02:25 PM
its for those reasons i dont even pay attention to cap numbers anymore. i just fantasize about who we might get regardless then celebrate whenever we do

Dozerdog
02-26-2006, 02:28 PM
If the Bills cut Sam Adams- who would the Bills get that is equal or better, and how much would it cost?

Sam is a great value for what he gives you.

Dozerdog
02-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Count me as a clown, then.

You can't go out and grab every free agent and then "play dumb" when the hard questions come- like "How are you going to pay for that?"

You could rack up the football credit card like the Redskins do- but don't bank on long term success. They play every season hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

patmoran2006
02-26-2006, 02:36 PM
I can almost guarentee the Bills will cut Sam Adams and I highly doubt they will find someone (for the money) who is better. And then with his release, you make DT the top priority in the draft.

Keep Adams, try to resign Edwards cheap as a third DT, and cut a little dead weight (Campbell, Wire, Anderson) and put that money to another DT. IF we cut Adams we need TWO tackles.

To me its senseless. Unless I watched the wrong team, this team is going nowhere until they learn to BLOCK people. I'd use my first, and probably even my second picks on OL who are going to start... from day one.

Dozerdog
02-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Seriously-- what makes it a Guarantree they will cut Adams?

It's not his cap figure- It's not his play- He's in the top 1/4 to 1/3rd at his position.

Give me the reason WHY they would cut him. nd oif you toss out "Attitude" or something like that- he'd be gone already- Like Mike Williams

X-Era
02-26-2006, 06:19 PM
I can almost guarentee the Bills will cut Sam Adams and I highly doubt they will find someone (for the money) who is better. And then with his release, you make DT the top priority in the draft.

Keep Adams, try to resign Edwards cheap as a third DT, and cut a little dead weight (Campbell, Wire, Anderson) and put that money to another DT. IF we cut Adams we need TWO tackles.

To me its senseless. Unless I watched the wrong team, this team is going nowhere until they learn to BLOCK people. I'd use my first, and probably even my second picks on OL who are going to start... from day one.

Completely agree, pos rep headed your way, I hope you didnt take my comments as a criticism of you or Clump. It really wasnt meant that way. I love you guys who do this hard and tedious work. I really am attacking the posters who bash every "lets get this guy" post stating we dont have the money.

If we dont know how much we have, how can we say that?

Anyways, Im looking forward to a suprisingly good offseason overall.

:posrep:

Much love for a Bills warrior fan that puts in the effort

Devin
02-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Count me as a clown, then.

You can't go out and grab every free agent and then "play dumb" when the hard questions come- like "How are you going to pay for that?"

You could rack up the football credit card like the Redskins do- but don't bank on long term success. They play every season hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

:posrep: .

ICE74129
02-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Seriously-- what makes it a Guarantree they will cut Adams?

It's not his cap figure- It's not his play- He's in the top 1/4 to 1/3rd at his position.

Give me the reason WHY they would cut him. nd oif you toss out "Attitude" or something like that- he'd be gone already- Like Mike Williams

Marv just said not 2 days ago he isn't sure Sam fits into thier schemes. Maybe they are seeing who is available in FA and who tests well at the combine before making the move?

Devin
02-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Maybe ICE the GM has the numbers.

:snicker:

clumping platelets
02-26-2006, 07:06 PM
:movie:

patmoran2006
02-26-2006, 08:40 PM
For the record, I am AGAINST cutting Sam Adams, in a big way.

clumping platelets
02-26-2006, 10:08 PM
For the record, I am AGAINST cutting Sam Adams, in a big way.

So am I.....I think he will be rejuvenated under new coaching staff...sign him to a modest extension :handball:

billsburgh
02-27-2006, 01:58 AM
add me to that list. I hope that they do keep Sam Adams. As far as not fitting in to the scheme, what happened to Jauron saying that they were going to adapt to the strengths of the players and not force them into a particular scheme?

ddaryl
02-27-2006, 04:30 AM
We cannot under any circumdstance cut Sam Adams, becuase we do not have the talent to replace him even if we drat a DT at #8.

Next year Sam will be able to walk, but not this year.

and when it comes to salary cap info it will always be CLUMP OR BUST

I really don't put much stock in any other cap info, and from my experiences Clump has always been in the ball park, and makes the adjustments to his numbers before any official info is released.