PDA

View Full Version : OL I like from the combine so far

X-Era
02-26-2006, 10:17 AM
1) Charles Spencer- no one impressed me more, quick, big, I think he ends up as the #1 G taken.

2) Davin Joseph- probably the #2 G

3) Winston Justice- Did great at vert jump, long jump, decent at bench, and quick. LIke I said before, I think he ends up a top ten pick when all is said and done. Maybe even at 8 :)

4) Whitworth- comparable athleticism to Justice

5) Mangold- what a great athlete. Hes probably the best C prospect Ive seen in at least 5 years.

6) Scott- impressed me with his athleticism

Interesting tidbits- Marcus McNeil vs. Winston Justice in pass protection drill. Justice looked like a dwarf and looked alot like a DE to me. McNeil was just huge.

Eric Winston did really well in the athletic drills, but they showed a piece on him blocking a DT, anderson and how he really struggled in technique and protection.

Max Jean Giles didnt do that well in the drills and looked fat and out of shape, yeah hes a guard, but compared to Spencer, Mangold, or Joseph theres no comparison. I think Giles dropped to 3rd or 4th best G, down from #1.

Overall, I LOVE the look of Justice and Whitworth. I think we could land Whit in the 2nd. But Id love to use that pick on Spencer and use our first on...........Ngata, (yes I said Ngata). His workout numbers are jumping him into the 8 pick, hes doing what he needs to do.

Tatonka
02-26-2006, 10:47 AM
if your high on whitworth, then your proposing moving peters to LT?

X-Era
02-26-2006, 11:08 AM

I am. Hes the same as a strictly LT prospect like Eric Winston. They both played TE before.

Peters did really really well against Peppers and Taylor this year. I think he can play LT. Remember McNally stated hes the best LT prospect he has ever seen.

Yes, I see no reason Gandy cant play RT or even a draftee like Whitworth.

LT isnt a spot to mess around with, its probably the most important OT spot, unless we have a lefty QB, the LT is blocking his blindside. I want a proven, quick footed, OT, Peters proved he can be that guy, even though he played RT.

Tatonka
02-26-2006, 11:31 AM
i agree. i think peters should be the LT.

Bmax
02-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Yep i also agree.. Plus we save some bucks .. Draft whitworth in rd 2 or 3 Trueblood in rd 4.... Peters can handle the lt spot . Justice would be a surprise at 8. Character issues .. will looked into....Winston is rising he knee is suspect....

Love spencer i would take him above whitworth and trueblood...Then find a another tackle in rd 3 or 4 say ? stenivich or toledo from wash ...

Bmax

ICE74129
02-26-2006, 12:23 PM
When will you guys get a clue and drop the peters to LT crap. Quit screwing around experimenting and get a REAL LT in here with a ton of LT experience throughout college.

DraftBoy
02-26-2006, 01:03 PM
If we like Whitworth in rd 2 then who do we look at in rd 1? To be honest Im not impressed with Ngata, huge or not, he is a workout warrior from the looks of it and does not consistently transfer onto the field. Id prefer;

1. Micheal Huff
2. Adam Whitworth

patmoran2006
02-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Unless Ngata can play Left Tackle or Guard, I'll pass on him, trade down a few spots and take Justice..

Tatonka
02-26-2006, 03:04 PM
When will you guys get a clue and drop the peters to LT crap. Quit screwing around experimenting and get a REAL LT in here with a ton of LT experience throughout college.

i will get a clue about the same time you pull your head out of your ass.

:spade:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
02-26-2006, 03:10 PM
i agree. i think peters should be the LT.

Just let McNally put Peters where he wants him OK!!! :jk:

X-Era
02-26-2006, 06:02 PM

Huhh???

Dude your losing your credibility with me fast. YOur saying a LT from college is more ready to start at LT than a starting RT who has played against Peppers, Taylor, Seymour, and others???

I aint down with that and Im suprised you are.

Peters was a frikkin TE before, theres no question about his feet. Furthermore, theres no question that he can play RT against the top DE's. So, if he has the feet, and he has the ability to go up against the top DE's and has PROVEN it, the question is what again?

I never thought I would hear someone say that a college player is more NFL ready than an NFL player who is playing really well!!!!?????

Your complete love afair with certain players in bordering on obsession and its just plain wrong.

X-Era
02-26-2006, 06:09 PM
If we like Whitworth in rd 2 then who do we look at in rd 1? To be honest Im not impressed with Ngata, huge or not, he is a workout warrior from the looks of it and does not consistently transfer onto the field. Id prefer;

1. Micheal Huff
2. Adam Whitworth

Well, I talked about this before. We resigned McGee, tagged Nate and look to resign him. And now we spend our top pick on another DB when Levy stated OL and DL were our biggest needs? Its just a bit too lopsided on one area of our game (secondary) to me.

That said, Huff and Williams make Clements tradable and Vincent expendable. Not a bad spot to be in.

However, Pat Watkins is a FS I REALLY like with one of our 3rds. Hes tall and roams the field like a CB.

I cant completely disagree. But if OG/C and one DT is added in FA, I think we take best OT or go for best available at 8. It might be TE Vernon Davis. Just wait till his combine numbers come in. Hes a 15-20 pick right now, wait till he puts up 25+ on 225, and runs a low 4.7 or 4.6 40!!! His stocks gonna go top ten in the next week, wriet it down!!!!

Devin
02-26-2006, 06:13 PM
i will get a clue about the same time you pull your head out of your ass.

:spade:

:posrep:

TigerJ
02-26-2006, 10:18 PM

Most of the talk about Whitworth not being able to cut it at LT in th NFL was based on the belief that he wasn't that athletic. His combine performance says that's not true. He appears to have quick feet, is very strong and athletic.

Tatonka
02-26-2006, 11:39 PM
tiger.. whitworth played RT for four years in college though right? i would be worried that he may struggle more at LT than peters would.. i would leave him where he is a proven commodity at.. at least for year one.. and lets see what peters can do.

Devin
02-26-2006, 11:50 PM
Mangold is a monster, I :pray: he falls in the 2nd.

That kid is pretty athletic, hes gonna be a fantastic C.

gr8slayer
02-27-2006, 12:40 AM
I want Brick period.

ddaryl
02-27-2006, 01:09 AM

You kill me, since day 1 anything positive about Peters has been met with your skeptisism. He wasn't a RT candidate or an OL starter in your opinion 2 years ago.

Now he's a potential stud at RT, and he definitely has the potential to play LT, and play it very well.

SO IMHO, its you you has to get a clue and drop the Peters can't play LT crap, you're the one who year after year can not accept these distict and very pursuable options.

Peter's has done nnothing but prove he deserves these opportunities.

BUT !!!! I would rather we draft Brick for LT and leave Peters at RT. I am completely against us signing any LT prospects in FA simply because there isn't a single one worth pursuing. However if we don't get Brick option 2 is to get the next best T available and pencil them at RT and move Peters to LT to compete for the job against who ever we can find to compete.

gr8slayer
02-27-2006, 01:14 AM
You kill me, since day 1 anything positive about Peters has been met with your skeptisism. He wasn't a RT candidate or an OL starter in your opinion 2 years ago.

Now he's a potential stud at RT, and he definitely has the potential to play LT, and play it very well.

SO IMHO, its you you has to get a clue and drop the Peters can't play LT crap, you're the one who year after year can not accept these distict and very pursuable options.

BUT !!!! I would rather we draft Brick for LT and leave Peters at RT. I am completely against us signing any LT prospects in FA simply because there isn't a single one worth pursuing. However if we don't get Brick option 2 is to get the next best T available and pencil them at RT and move Peters to LT to compete for the job against who ever we can find to compete.
Amen.

casdhf
02-27-2006, 08:10 AM
Mods, does Ice have the same IP as juice? its scary

X-Era
02-27-2006, 09:04 AM

Right on the money!
:posrep:

mysticsoto
02-27-2006, 09:50 AM

I agree in that J. Peters has done great since he's been on the team and done everything he's been asked to do. He also played RT much better than MW who has started on that position for years. In an interview, Peters was asked what position he preferred and he basically said it didn't matter to him. He said he could play LT just as well b'cse he hasn't been doing RT for so long that he's become set in that way. For this reason, I think, unless we are able to win the lottery (so to speak) and grab Brick, we should have Peters at LT.

Now, I disagree about the last part of your post. If we can't get Brick, I think we should move Peters to LT and Gandy, who did reasonably well, at RT. Then we should concentrate on the inner line. If we are able to get Mangold, I say go for it. He received tremendous praise at the combine and is being reported as one of the best Centers to ever come through the draft in the last 10 years (though that's probably just people exaggerating). Either Mangold or Davin Joseph are my top picks for our 2nd rounder. Solidifying our interior line should be our top concern if we are really serious about getting a solid line that can protect our QB and not commit false starts constantly (Bennie) or be too weak to stop a bull rush (Teague) or not know how to adapt when the Dlinemen do a stunt (Bennie again).