• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

Quote from Marv's book:

I've been reading Marv's book and this quote struck me as relevant to some of the talk that's been on these boards. It gives some insight into what he thinks of certain players:

On the difference between college players and pro players:
    "With additional resources and much more free time on their hands - no classes to attend or study for - the pros are exposed to many more temptations. Again, those with good judgment are able to cope
    The stay-out-late guys are easy to spot. They show up at practice at the last minute, and they often doze through team meetings. A general listlessness begins to dull their performance. They never reach their potential, and only rarely does this type of player ever mend his ways. How do you motivate a person like this? You don't! I readily admit that there is a secret involved in how to motivate NFL players. It's simple. Bring only intrinsically motivated players onto your roster. They hunger for guidance They'll observe, and they'll listen when you show them and when you tell them how they can get better. I have found that the high-lifers enjoy short careers. As I have often told our players, 'You can't hoot with the owls at night if you want to soar with the eagles during the day.'"
    I guess this is what the GM means when he says that they want high-character guys on this roster.
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Re: Quote from Marv's book:

Being an athlete isn't just a hobby or a part time job, it's a lifestyle. You work at everything most people take for granted, even eating and sleeping. If you want the most out of your body, you have to make sure you put the best into it...healthy foods from a well thought out regimen of training, diet, and adequate sleep.
    You can't be true to that lifestyle if you're going out 2, 3 or 4 nights a week.

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Marv is right. The team from 88-96 had self motivated players for the most part. Marv didn't have to suggest they workout in the offseason, they wanted to do it.

The other thing is this, yeah you get paid and want to be paid well. Outside of Bruce Smith, none of them *****ed about being the best PAID at thier positions. Being truely the best at thier positions was the motivation.

Comment

• eyedog
        • Jul 2002

What a bunch of bs. Marv's Bills teams were loaded with partiers.
        Kelly, Thurman, Bennett, Bruce, Talley.......

Comment

• Jeff1220
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by eyedog
          but they were intrinsically motivated.

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Until it was time to practice, train or play

Comment

• eyedog
              • Jul 2002

I agree they came to play and were motivated, especially after a loss. But to say the nightlife hurt there performance is untrue because some of that bunch could party with the best of them.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                • Jul 2002

I agree they came to play and were motivated, especially after a loss. But to say the nightlife hurt there performance is untrue because some of that bunch could party with the best of them.
                Because they partied hard doesn't mean that they didn't know what was acceptable and not. I heard many stories about how Kelly used to treat everyone at his bar after the home games, but was there really much talk about these guys out late to the point that it affected their attentiveness and endurance in practice and in games? The only situations that stand out to me is the stories that they partied too much during Super Bowl week, and look how that turned out. Marv knows what he's talking about.

Comment

• eyedog
                  • Jul 2002

Oh ok, they only partied during Superbowl week. Not quit.

Thats my point, they did party hard and it didn't seem to hurt their performance outside of four superbowl losses. They partied hard but they also prepared and were motivated.

Comment

Working...
                  X