• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

On Price...

Here's a thought. Since Reed has all the credentials and showed more than enough to suggest that he's at least a #2 and possibly a #1 WR in the NFL, I'm thinkin' that signing Price may not be such a good deal for two reasons.

First, it takes away from bucks that we quite honestly need to spend on D. We absolutely need a DT and an OLB on D and we need good ones. Perhaps not the best available, but one of the tops in each category that's available anyway. We also need a DE direly.

Secondly, if the Bills resign Price, he'll get a big bonus which would essentially prohibit us from cutting him should we desire to do so for a few years. In any event, Reed is signed for 3 more seasons. He's perfectly capable of being the #2, but if Moulds is here, which he will be, and we sign Price for big bucks, then Reed's chances of being that #2 slip away.

I have no idea if Reed has a voidable year, doubtful. But in any case, when his contract runs out after the '05 season, he would likely go elsewhere to where he can start.

Other than the notion that I've felt Price is overrated and a product of a team that dropped back to pass 667 times, he's also costly in terms of his temperament. And how many passes, key ones, have we seen him drop. How many times has he cost us by going off at the mouth or hitting someone.

Meanwhile, Reed has hands like glue and in spite of suggestions that he's slow, still seems to disprove that on the field with plenty of quickness not seeming slow to me at all.

Just a thought before the team goes running out to address offensive issues when we should be pouring our efforts this offseason into defensive issues.

Let Price go, bump Reed up and make him happy. Get some FAs as backups.
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

For once I agree with you, Wys-

If we can get him back in the 4 Million range, I would do it (about $500,000 more than we gave Riemersma)unless the money is absolutly needed to get Hugh Douglas , Spikes, or someone else.

Otherwise, I'd say no.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
      Legendary Zoner
      • Jul 2002

Re: On Price...

Originally posted by Wys Guy
      Other than the notion that I've felt Reed is overrated and a product of a team that dropped back to pass 667 times, he's also costly in terms of his temperament. And how many passes, key ones, have we seen him drop.

Meanwhile, Reed has hands like glue and in spite of suggestions that he's slow, still seems to disprove that on the field with plenty of quickness not seeming slow to me at all.

Don't these paragraphs contradict each other???

I think Reed is faster than people give him credit. He'll be fine.

Comment

• Wys Guy
        • Jul 2002

Thanks EE. Yes, it does. Should have read Price. Will make the change.

Good Catch!! Thanks!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
          For once I agree with you, Wys-

If we can get him back in the 4 Million range, I would do it (about $500,000 more than we gave Riemersma)unless the money is absolutly needed to get Hugh Douglas , Spikes, or someone else.

Otherwise, I'd say no.
          I wouldn't even consider paying him what the market will bear out. If he had put up 2 solid seasons out of 3 prior to this, then perhaps I'd be for it. But to pay a WR that much money, presumably in the $4-6 M range, when he only had one good year on a team that was pass happy and dropped back to throw more than any other team in the league, and dropped as many key balls as he did, I just cannot justify shelling out those bucks.

I really have a lot of difficulty seeing how 30 other WRs in this league wouldn't have also put up 1,200/9 TDs under the same circumstances. I think Reed could have done it as a rookie or come close.

I'd offer Price a contract in the $2-2.5M range and that's it. WRs come and go depending upon where they play, who the QB is, the opps they get, etc. Price had it all going on here. We can find equally capable WRs for less than what it's going to take to sign Price.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
            Legendary Zoner
            • Jul 2002

And you accuse me of not reading that stuff...

Boy, Lou Grant has his hands full on that front page with all the mistekes there. Mary Richards must not work at the zone.

Comment

• Wys Guy
              • Jul 2002

Only if you admitted you didn't!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• venis2k1
                Youboty can hope
                • Jul 2002

Reed is fast, but he isnt Really fast(the way price is) Reed will not be able to streach the feild the way Price could. Having said this, i agree 100% with you guys about letting price go, and looking at FA for #3.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Well, I disagree. I think he's really really fast, however I agree that he is not really really really fast.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    • Jul 2002

Moulds will stretch the field. He can go deep just as well as Price can.

I think we should make a move for a bigger receiver in the 6'2"/215 mold. There are several out there.

Derrius Thompson from the Skins. He's good, I've watched him.

Darrell Jackson is also very, very good and underrated since Robinson became the "go to" guy there. He's not in that size mold though. But he's got some speed.

Gadsen, Frank Sanders.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

Reed did everything that was expected of him this past year. I agree that the Bills can not afford to pay Price a high premium because the defense has too many holes. There were a lot of veteren receivers available last year in FA and I don't expect this year to be any different. While I think Price is a good receiver he also very immature which hurts him and the team at times.

Comment

• Patrick76777
                        • Jul 2002

It all boils down to what the market will allow. If there is a rush to sign Peerless, we won’t resign him. If he’s around for a few weeks and teams are not making a play for him, the chances increase greatly. Remember, the past few years, WR’s have not been big players on the FA market.
                        Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                          • Jul 2002

Yeah, but the top few always are. It's the whole lot of 2nd-tier WRs who are. Actually, I think Price is in that 2nd-tier, which matters not. But the rest of the league doesn't. So he'll go quickly or at least have several teams interested.

I'm thinking Cincy, Philly, Washington, Dallas maybe, Tennessee maybe to "bring him back home."

His only competition as perceived top WRs is David Boston, who I'd take an a NY second over Price, but nonetheless is the only other "top WR" available.

What makes GMs good in FAcy is getting players at a lesser price that can play at the same level as others who cost more. Ie., Darrell Jackson is at least capable of doing what Price did here. His first three seasons in this league were by far and away better than Price's first three. He was consistent too. So he's the type of WR that TD should look at. He'll come at a fraction of the cost of Price and would be just as good if not better.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Jul 2002

Don't kid yourself. Darrell Jackson is going to get big $$$.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                              • Jul 2002

You think so. I figured he was gonna come in under the radar. Maybe I'm wrong. He's not a high profile WR however.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X