• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Preston at Center?

The latest news, videos, scores and more on the biggest sports, including NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA, Soccer, Boxing, NASCAR and more with Sporting News

I agree he should start. JMac said he was drafted with the intention to start at some point. He just needs some more offseason work. There are 3 guards I would be very happy with in this draft. The bad news is only one of them may be left.
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Re: Preston at Center?

I'm pretty certain that's been the plan since we drafted him..Teague's a free agent and rather than tie up money in a mediocre player on the downside of his career, use someone who can be to JP what Kent Hull was to Kelly
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by The_Philster
      I'm pretty certain that's been the plan since we drafted him..Teague's a free agent and rather than tie up money in a mediocre player on the downside of his career, use someone who can be to JP what Kent Hull was to Kelly
      Agreed so let me ask this. If we think Villarial will play this year and odds are gandy is the LT unless something changes, do we even bother with Guard in FA? In the early 2nd round we can get a starter at LG. Many teams have done it and with the depth there I think we can too. Or sign a FA and draft Villarial's replacement in the 2nd?

Comment

• The_Philster
        • Jul 2002

sign a FA and draft Villarial's replacement in the 2nd
        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

sign bentley and make preston beat villarial.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
            Not going to happen. Look preston was drafted to start. We are not going to run out and replace every roster spot with new Veterans. We will see rookie starters this year as well. It's preston's time to start.

Comment

• Tatonka
              • Jul 2002

preston was drafted by the old regime and he may or may not fit into the plans.. what i do know is that he didnt play well last year at all.. and just because some guy on sporting news says preston is ready to take over doesnt mean squat.

preston was consistently shoved around just like trey teague was.. preston showed very little to be excited about to be honest. now this is not to imply that he is not going to work out.. hopefully he gets in better shape and gets strong this offseason.. but he can and did play guard.. make him fight and win a job if he wants it, just like the coaches want losman to do.

bentley would actually give us a center that doesnt get pushed into the qb by every DT out there.. since kent hull..
              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• camelcowboy
                • Mar 2005

Im sorry Ill take bently over Preston in a heartbeat. The quickest way to build a line is from the inside out. Bently would be a great center for this team and he's young, Don't forget we have nothing for left guard. Villarelli and Peters i think the team Should keep. Everyone else is expendable in my book. Enought is enought time to upgrade the line.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                  Too sober for this...
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                  Im sorry Ill take bently over Preston in a heartbeat. The quickest way to build a line is from the inside out. Bently would be a great center for this team and he's young, Don't forget we have nothing for left guard. Villarelli and Peters i think the team Should keep. Everyone else is expendable in my book. Enought is enought time to upgrade the line.
                  I'd take Bentley in a second over Preston also. The only problem is, there is word that Minnesota might be interested in Bentley. And they have alot more money to throw his way than we do...if we don't get Bentley, we may have to go with Preston or try to get Mangold in the 2nd rd. But Mangold might be moving up the draft into the late 1st??? If so, then we'd need to get a top guard in the 2nd, and rely on Preston for our center.

I don't think Preston was bad. He just needed to get stronger. It should have been no surprise that a rookie was getting beat strengthwise. Luckily, stength is something you can completely change around during the offseason. Just look at Shaud Williams and how buff he came in last year compared to the year before!!!

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
                    Right on Tatonka.

1) Sign Bentley, 2) draft a G in the 2nd round, 3) let Preston, Villarial, and 2nd round draftee compete for the two guard spots, and then

4) dip Bennie Anderson in tar, roll him in jelly donuts, and send him to the Dolphins.
                    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Give Preston a chance to compete for a Guard spot. I'd much rather have an experienced Center to replace Trey Teague.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

I agree Preston was not good at all last season. Neither was Geisinger (at guard). It may be that neither one will ever be good. I think we have to trust the Bills organization to some extent, to make smart decisions based on what they know that we don't. There are off season workouts and monitoring. Evaluation is done year round.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• EDS
                          • Jan 2003

Does anyone really think the Bills have a real chance at Bentley given their cap situtation (even if Moulds leaves)? He sounds great in theory, but it still leaves the Bills with some huge holes to fill (i.e., left guard and defensive tackle) with limited financial resources to do so.

Just thinking practically, the Bills could address left guard in round 2 of the draft (someone like Joseph, Spencer, Lutui). Yes it would mean a rookie starter but given the experience of Bentley in the middle that should more then sufficient.

The big problem then is defensive tackle, say the Bills take Davis in the first round and spent the majority of their free agent dollars on Bentley. How do they shore up the d-line? Bargain basement free agents or later round draft picks?

I don't know the answer, just raising questions.

Comment

• EDS
                            • Jan 2003

Does anyone really think the Bills have a real chance at Bentley given their cap situtation (even if Moulds leaves)? He sounds great in theory, but it still leaves the Bills with some huge holes to fill (i.e., left guard and defensive tackle) with limited financial resources to do so.

Just thinking practically, the Bills could address left guard in round 2 of the draft (someone like Joseph, Spencer, Lutui). Yes it would mean a rookie starter but given the experience of Bentley in the middle that should more then sufficient.

The big problem then is defensive tackle, say the Bills take Davis in the first round and spent the majority of their free agent dollars on Bentley. How do they shore up the d-line? Bargain basement free agents or later round draft picks?

I don't know the answer, just raising questions.

Comment

• John Doe
                              Florida Man
                              • Jul 2002

Imagine that! Preston, a 4th round draft pick who played most of his college career at center struggled while playing at guard in the pros in his rookie year.

I'm shocked.

Comment

Working...
                              X