PDA

View Full Version : Preston at Center?

ICE74129
02-27-2006, 09:20 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=65730

I agree he should start. JMac said he was drafted with the intention to start at some point. He just needs some more offseason work. There are 3 guards I would be very happy with in this draft. The bad news is only one of them may be left.

The_Philster
02-27-2006, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty certain that's been the plan since we drafted him..Teague's a free agent and rather than tie up money in a mediocre player on the downside of his career, use someone who can be to JP what Kent Hull was to Kelly

ICE74129
02-27-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm pretty certain that's been the plan since we drafted him..Teague's a free agent and rather than tie up money in a mediocre player on the downside of his career, use someone who can be to JP what Kent Hull was to Kelly

Agreed so let me ask this. If we think Villarial will play this year and odds are gandy is the LT unless something changes, do we even bother with Guard in FA? In the early 2nd round we can get a starter at LG. Many teams have done it and with the depth there I think we can too. Or sign a FA and draft Villarial's replacement in the 2nd?

The_Philster
02-27-2006, 04:23 PM
sign a FA and draft Villarial's replacement in the 2nd<!-- / message -->

Tatonka
02-27-2006, 04:27 PM
sign bentley and make preston beat villarial.

ICE74129
02-27-2006, 05:13 PM

Not going to happen. Look preston was drafted to start. We are not going to run out and replace every roster spot with new Veterans. We will see rookie starters this year as well. It's preston's time to start.

Tatonka
02-27-2006, 07:40 PM
preston was drafted by the old regime and he may or may not fit into the plans.. what i do know is that he didnt play well last year at all.. and just because some guy on sporting news says preston is ready to take over doesnt mean squat.

preston was consistently shoved around just like trey teague was.. preston showed very little to be excited about to be honest. now this is not to imply that he is not going to work out.. hopefully he gets in better shape and gets strong this offseason.. but he can and did play guard.. make him fight and win a job if he wants it, just like the coaches want losman to do.

bentley would actually give us a center that doesnt get pushed into the qb by every DT out there.. since kent hull..

camelcowboy
02-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Im sorry Ill take bently over Preston in a heartbeat. The quickest way to build a line is from the inside out. Bently would be a great center for this team and he's young, Don't forget we have nothing for left guard. Villarelli and Peters i think the team Should keep. Everyone else is expendable in my book. Enought is enought time to upgrade the line.

mysticsoto
02-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Im sorry Ill take bently over Preston in a heartbeat. The quickest way to build a line is from the inside out. Bently would be a great center for this team and he's young, Don't forget we have nothing for left guard. Villarelli and Peters i think the team Should keep. Everyone else is expendable in my book. Enought is enought time to upgrade the line.

I'd take Bentley in a second over Preston also. The only problem is, there is word that Minnesota might be interested in Bentley. And they have alot more money to throw his way than we do...if we don't get Bentley, we may have to go with Preston or try to get Mangold in the 2nd rd. But Mangold might be moving up the draft into the late 1st??? If so, then we'd need to get a top guard in the 2nd, and rely on Preston for our center.

I don't think Preston was bad. He just needed to get stronger. It should have been no surprise that a rookie was getting beat strengthwise. Luckily, stength is something you can completely change around during the offseason. Just look at Shaud Williams and how buff he came in last year compared to the year before!!!

Saratoga Slim
02-28-2006, 11:08 AM

Right on Tatonka.

1) Sign Bentley, 2) draft a G in the 2nd round, 3) let Preston, Villarial, and 2nd round draftee compete for the two guard spots, and then

4) dip Bennie Anderson in tar, roll him in jelly donuts, and send him to the Dolphins.

Michael82
02-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Give Preston a chance to compete for a Guard spot. I'd much rather have an experienced Center to replace Trey Teague.

TigerJ
02-28-2006, 12:17 PM
I agree Preston was not good at all last season. Neither was Geisinger (at guard). It may be that neither one will ever be good. I think we have to trust the Bills organization to some extent, to make smart decisions based on what they know that we don't. There are off season workouts and monitoring. Evaluation is done year round.

EDS
02-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Does anyone really think the Bills have a real chance at Bentley given their cap situtation (even if Moulds leaves)? He sounds great in theory, but it still leaves the Bills with some huge holes to fill (i.e., left guard and defensive tackle) with limited financial resources to do so.

Just thinking practically, the Bills could address left guard in round 2 of the draft (someone like Joseph, Spencer, Lutui). Yes it would mean a rookie starter but given the experience of Bentley in the middle that should more then sufficient.

The big problem then is defensive tackle, say the Bills take Davis in the first round and spent the majority of their free agent dollars on Bentley. How do they shore up the d-line? Bargain basement free agents or later round draft picks?

I don't know the answer, just raising questions.

EDS
02-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Does anyone really think the Bills have a real chance at Bentley given their cap situtation (even if Moulds leaves)? He sounds great in theory, but it still leaves the Bills with some huge holes to fill (i.e., left guard and defensive tackle) with limited financial resources to do so.

Just thinking practically, the Bills could address left guard in round 2 of the draft (someone like Joseph, Spencer, Lutui). Yes it would mean a rookie starter but given the experience of Bentley in the middle that should more then sufficient.

The big problem then is defensive tackle, say the Bills take Davis in the first round and spent the majority of their free agent dollars on Bentley. How do they shore up the d-line? Bargain basement free agents or later round draft picks?

I don't know the answer, just raising questions.

John Doe
02-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Imagine that! Preston, a 4th round draft pick who played most of his college career at center struggled while playing at guard in the pros in his rookie year.

I'm shocked.

Marvelous
02-28-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm thinking about 20 teams want Bently. Sucks because we would be dominant with a mean Center......

ICE74129
02-28-2006, 06:15 PM
People are so willing to scrap an entire roster when most of the talent hasn't had a legit shot.

Not only that, Jags, Vikes etc that will have more cap room have targeted the guy. the Jags and Vikes have been to the playoffs in the last 5 years so they are much more attractive until we start winning.

don137
02-28-2006, 07:50 PM
A couple of weeks ago there was an article about McNally. McNally said how they are very impressed by Peters and think he is going to be a a very good tackle. When the topic of Preston came up he sounded like he was forcing himself to say good things about him. He said something like overall they are pleased with his progress but he has a long way to go. To me it doesn't sound like Preston is ready. Its not like McNally is going to say he was discouraged with him. No coach says that about a player on there roster. They try to put a positive spin on it and thats how I interpreted McNally's comments.

Tatonka
02-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Imagine that! Preston, a 4th round draft pick who played most of his college career at center struggled while playing at guard in the pros in his rookie year.

I'm shocked.

well, if he was good enough at center.. he would have taken the job.. teague was awful as they come last year.. preston wasnt even good enough to be as awful as they come i guess.

Kerr
03-01-2006, 12:48 AM
They can get rid of Villariel. I like the idea of Preston/Bentley playing C/G. Either one can play each position.

vicmantak
03-01-2006, 03:31 AM
As don137 said, if McNally is still not impressed with him, it means a lot of things but that he is way behind to be the line caller.

IMO he is a smart athlete but still lacks power to establish the running game (Guard) and lacks mobility to protect and support pass-rushers (Tackle).

In other words, Bills urgently need a Center but it doesn't mean that he's still a solid option to still develop.

John Doe
03-01-2006, 05:25 AM
well, if he was good enough at center.. he would have taken the job.. teague was awful as they come last year.. preston wasnt even good enough to be as awful as they come i guess.

So, if a 4th round rookie can't come in and replace a healthy 7-year vet at center then he is a bust, i guess.

Teague may not be the best center in the league, but he has plenty of experience and he knew the blocking systems and assignments. It would have been hard for any rookie to beat him out last year.

As don137 said, if McNally is still not impressed with him, it means a lot of things but that he is way behind to be the line caller.

IMO he is a smart athlete but still lacks power to establish the running game (Guard) and lacks mobility to protect and support pass-rushers (Tackle).

There have been no minicamps held as yet to mark his progress. He certainly can be expected to improved this year.

Michael82
03-01-2006, 08:39 AM
They can get rid of Villariel. I like the idea of Preston/Bentley playing C/G. Either one can play each position.
As bad as it sounds...Villarrial was our best guard last year. :ill: