PDA

View Full Version : Marv cracks me up...

RedEyE
02-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Check out the last pargraph in Carucci's blog. :rofl:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=440 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=middle><TD colSpan=2>LEVY STILL A GEM (Feb. 23, 2:30 p.m. ET) </TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD><TABLE align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>http://images.nfl.com/images/2004/opinion_carucci.jpg
Vic
Carucci
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>It felt like old times this morning when Marv Levy stepped up to the podium to address the media at the Combine. Levy is the 80-year-old "rookie" general manager of the Bills, but his is one of the more familiar faces in the league, thanks to a coaching career in Buffalo that landed him in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I covered Levy's Bills through that entire stretch for the Buffalo News. I must admit that I missed being around him on a regular basis after his retirement following the 1997 season. Levy has long been one of the most eloquent speakers in football history, and nothing has changed on that count in the eight years he has been away from the game (outside of broadcasting work). He summarized the value of the Combine as well as anyone when he said that it allows talent-evaluators to get to know prospects as "human beings, not just commodities."

Levy had other gems:

-- "We want to win immediately. If you say you're building for the future, that's an incomplete sentence. You're building for a future coach and general manager if you're building for the future."

-- "I called (former Bills and current Colts GM Bill Polian) after I took the job and had three or four questions for him. He was very helpful about structuring the front office and salary cap. Then he said, 'What's your last question?' I said, 'Do you want to trade us Peyton Manning?' He said, 'No.'"

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Michael82
02-28-2006, 12:26 PM
:rofl: At least he tried.

Iehoshua
02-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks Bill. I'd rather have a QB who doesn't choke in the clutch!
:up:

BAM
02-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I'd rather have a quarterback that at least wins games myself, Darth! That's pretty funny though.

Iehoshua
02-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Winning in the regular season would be an improvement, but the ultimate goal of any team is to win in the playoffs then Superbowl. Manning has proven over and over he can't get it done.

:sorry:

Gunzlingr
02-28-2006, 01:15 PM
:rofl:

Marv Rules.

BAM
02-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Yah well anyone in their right mind would take Manning over JP Lossman.

I hope some day our guy is better though.

Iehoshua
02-28-2006, 01:58 PM
In their present form, of course Manning is better, just don't pre-invest too heavily in Superbowl seating if Peyton is the qb of your team.
:D

BAM
02-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Yah I hear ya. I bet he gets one in his career though.

Jan Reimers
02-28-2006, 02:43 PM
It sounds - and rightfully so - like Marv puts more stock in the interview/interaction processes than he does in the pure numbers.