PDA

View Full Version : Interesting draft day trade rumor

DBrown77
02-28-2006, 01:14 PM
"Here's the juiciest trade rumor yet regarding the No. 1 overall pick in the April 29 NFL college draft: Houston swaps the pick to the New York Jets for unhappy defensive end John Abraham (the Texans need a pass rusher and he's one of the best) and the No. 4 overall pick. Houston would use that selection on Virginia offensive left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson to protect quarterback David Carr, who has been sacked 208 times in his four NFL seasons. It all sounds perfectly logical to me. The Jets would get Reggie Bush or Matt Leinart and the Texans would get two instant high-quality starters in Abraham and Ferguson, who presumably would be a better "can't miss" No. 4 overall pick at offensive tackle than Mike Williams was for Buffalo in 2002. ... The Washington Redskins atrying to trade quarterback Patrick Ramsey. He might be worth a fourth-round pick if the Bills are interested and that's all it would take"

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060228/SPORTS0101/602280328/-1/COLUMNS

sorry if already posted

Italian Stallion
02-28-2006, 01:24 PM
I would def. do that trade if I was Houston. It fills 2 needs, pass rush and pass protection, which helped contribute to their horrible season. In no way was Dominick Davis the reason for their terrible record, and by adding Bush, all they will do is sell more tix.

Remember Bush also had an amazing o line to run behind, and Houston is far from claiming they have the same.

***I think that Patrick Ramsey would be a decent addition to the team. Holcomb is getting older, and who knows, a change of scenery might make all the difference in the world for him.

kgun12
02-28-2006, 01:25 PM
I think I said this before on this board, but I have been saying it to all my friends that I just don't think Houston stays at #1. They need a lot of help at a lot of positions, trading down would be a very smart thing for them to do. The trade above for Abraham would be huge for them.

gr8slayer
02-28-2006, 01:51 PM
That would be huge for Houston but can Abe play in the 3-4 or are they switching to the 4-3?

DBrown77
02-28-2006, 01:54 PM
huge for Houston, but then Bush to the Jets? Hopefully it would be Leinart

mysticsoto
02-28-2006, 01:55 PM
That would be huge for Houston but can Abe play in the 3-4 or are they switching to the 4-3?

I believe I read that they were switching to the 4-3.

Captain gameboy
02-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Funny you mentioned Brick as a no. 4 rumor.

I believe I was the first to mention him, specifically, back in Dec. in response to an Ingtar post.

Damn. How obvious is the momentum factor in the NFL draft?

Most of you have never heard of Brick. He's a superb left tackle. But he's not a no. 4, at least in my view.

I have watched him since he got here, and I have met him. Great guy. I'd love to have him. My favorite kid in the entire draft.

But....He's "light."
Will have great success against speed rushers. That's not enought to justify a no. four pick; Mike Williams acknowleged.

Every year, I read this stuff and I get more and more amazed at the momentum picks.

Brick is a superb tackle and a great guy. He is not worth trading up from 8 for.

Jan Reimers
02-28-2006, 02:20 PM
I'd trade our number 4 for Ramsey in a heartbeat.

mysticsoto
02-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Funny you mentioned Brick as a no. 4 rumor.

I believe I was the first to mention him, specifically, back in Dec. in response to an Ingtar post.

Damn. How obvious is the momentum factor in the NFL draft?

Most of you have never heard of Brick. He's a superb left tackle. But he's not a no. 4, at least in my view.

I have watched him since he got here, and I have met him. Great guy. I'd love to have him. My favorite kid in the entire draft.

But....He's "light."
Will have great success against speed rushers. That's not enought to justify a no. four pick; Mike Williams acknowleged.

Every year, I read this stuff and I get more and more amazed at the momentum picks.

Brick is a superb tackle and a great guy. He is not worth trading up from 8 for.

He's up to 312 lbs right now...that's light? The DEs he will usually face will tend to be speedsters. His biggest asset is his foot movement and long hands to stop and redirect opponents. Besides, he can still get bigger (musclewise) and put more lbs...

I wouldn't trade up either...but I think he will be a top 5 pick.

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Why Ramsey? He seems to me to be an older Losman with a weaker arm and not as mobile. No way I would give up a 4th for him.

casdhf
02-28-2006, 02:31 PM
He's got a cannon THURM ... a cannon

casdhf
02-28-2006, 02:32 PM
not that I like him ... Holcomb is more mobile, if you can believe that

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Losman has a cannon too.

Jan Reimers
02-28-2006, 02:51 PM
not that I like him ... Holcomb is more mobile, if you can believe that
The question is, is Ramsey as mobile as Bledsoe?

Lone Stranger
02-28-2006, 02:58 PM
The initial trade rumor is one which works out well for both teams. If I were representing one of the parties involved I would go for it.

Captain gameboy
02-28-2006, 03:09 PM
He's up to 312 lbs right now...that's light? The DEs he will usually face will tend to be speedsters. His biggest asset is his foot movement and long hands to stop and redirect opponents. Besides, he can still get bigger (musclewise) and put more lbs...

I wouldn't trade up either...but I think he will be a top 5 pick.

I have no doubt he'll make it. I think he'll do very well. As I posted way back in December, I love the guy.

But...312?

He struggled to make it to 275 last year, if he ever did.
When I met him he was being advertised at 275.
No way.

His body is bottom light, and he will have trouble with pure power rushers.
Not a problem with the Freeney's of the world. In fact I posted months ago that I would love to see him go against those types.

But you can game plan that. He is not a top four for the Bills, and they should not trade up for him.

Bill Cody
02-28-2006, 03:26 PM
I have no doubt he'll make it. I think he'll do very well. As I posted way back in December, I love the guy.

But...312?

He struggled to make it to 275 last year, if he ever did.
When I met him he was being advertised at 275.
No way.

His body is bottom light, and he will have trouble with pure power rushers.
Not a problem with the Freeney's of the world. In fact I posted months ago that I would love to see him go against those types.

But you can game plan that. He is not a top four for the Bills, and they should not trade up for him.

Apparently Brick has been eating his Wheaties. They measure and weigh everyone at the combine. He is what he is. And what he is is plenty worth the 4th pick.

Top tackle prospect D’Brickashaw Ferguson came in at 6’6” and 312 pounds, fifteen pounds heavier than he was at the Senior Bowl.