PDA

View Full Version : The Reality of the Bills' Cap Situation

OpIv37
02-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Check out this article from the Buffalo News (that was probably already posted, but just for reference):

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060222/1070955.asp

It's a little outdated because it still has MW as a potential cut, but the premise holds true. The key paragraph is here:

Cutting both Williams and Moulds would put the Bills at about $86 million, counting all the charges for Clements, the draft picks and the restricted players. That would be roughly $7 million under a cap of $93 million, plenty to do some serious free-agent shopping..

Based on the news today, I'm assuming Moulds is gone.

So, what do we need to get with the $7 million? Here is how I see it:

Must-have:
1. Two starting caliber offensive guards (Anderson and Villarial are washed up)
2. One DT (Two if Adams leaves, but that will result in an additional $2.5m in cap space so we'll leave that hypothetical out of the equasion).

High priority:
1. #1 or #2 receiver to replace Moulds (Evans-Parrish-Reed-Aiken is scary)
2. A serviceable TE (hopefully Everett fills this hole)
3. A young safety. Milloy is likely to be a cap casualty, and both he and Vincent are showing their age. Wire is worthless and most likely won't make the team.

Medium priority:
1. replacement for Posey
2. DE to play opposite Schobel
3. Backup RB that's not a "scat back" (although Lionel Gates could be this guy)

So, how much of this can we get done in one offseason with $7 million and a #8 draft pick? I think it's possible that the D will be at least average this year, but the O looks like it's still going to be in rough shape no matter what happens.

L.A. Playa
02-28-2006, 07:44 PM
read carefully Op its 7 mil after draft picks are signed

Marvelous
02-28-2006, 07:51 PM
replacement for Posey is a luxery more then a (medium)team need.
Good post oPi.

I'm thinking there's no way Troy Vincent makes this team. I understand there's only under a mill if we cut him but more importantly the roster spot that becomes available..

Milloy can still play. Just not on the level we wan't/need. SS of the future should be drafted this year in the 3rd round imo. Higher if we get lucky or who knows..

-Id rather not get a NT/DT through the draft. Atleast not with our 1st two picks. IMO we have other needs and the needs in the secondary & O-line are surely better with our high picks and we can get a DT in the 3rd or 4th. Better yet, free agency. I'm just not comfy with a NT/DT this high. Maybe next year if we have a pick in the teens somewhere etc..

WR becomes a MAJOR problem if we lose Moulds. Aiken? i confess i have been a fan but now that it's time to show my cards i'm nervous if he's ready to step up. If we do lose Moulds then i think it's in JP's & the teams best interest to resign Reed. Atleast a 1 year deal. Parrish is nothing more then a slot guy. Yeah he has heart and is good but not clutch enough imo.. So we should seek a Amani Toomer type to come in and play #2.

Villarial is better then #66 anderson. But both need upgrade. I agree we should get the best guard available with a day 1 pick at some point and one in the 4th or 5th. Two good guard prospects make feel good just talking about them...

TE is a huge huge hole. We don't know d!ck about Everett. I hope just like you that he is good but i'd feel better knowing we're prepared and get another prospect or the best free agent TE. That's not saying much because the Free agent TE talent is small. JP or whomever the starter is would enjoy having a TE that is worth a d@mn...

OpIv37
02-28-2006, 08:05 PM
read carefully Op its 7 mil after draft picks are signed

fine- but we still need to fill all these areas with the draft and the 7 million. And I think it's clear to most people that OL and DT are the biggest needs, but beyond that I'm open to debate on what needs to be done.

OpIv37
02-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Good post oPi.

I'm thinking there's no way Troy Vincent makes this team. I understand there's only under a mill if we cut him but more importantly the roster spot that becomes available..

Milloy can still play. Just not on the level we wan't/need. SS of the future should be drafted this year in the 3rd round imo. Higher if we get lucky or who knows..

-Id rather not get a NT/DT through the draft. Atleast not with our 1st two picks. IMO we have other needs and the needs in the secondary & O-line are surely better with our high picks and we can get a DT in the 3rd or 4th. Better yet, free agency. I'm just not comfy with a NT/DT this high. Maybe next year if we have a pick in the teens somewhere etc..

WR becomes a MAJOR problem if we lose Moulds. Aiken? i confess i have been a fan but now that it's time to show my cards i'm nervous if he's ready to step up. If we do lose Moulds then i think it's in JP's & the teams best interest to resign Reed. Atleast a 1 year deal. Parrish is nothing more then a slot guy. Yeah he has heart and is good but not clutch enough imo.. So we should seek a Amani Toomer type to come in and play #2.

Villarial is better then #66 anderson. But both need upgrade. I agree we should get the best guard available with a day 1 pick at some point and one in the 4th or 5th. Two good guard prospects make feel good just talking about them...

TE is a huge huge hole. We don't know d!ck about Everett. I hope just like you that he is good but i'd feel better knowing we're prepared and get another prospect or the best free agent TE. That's not saying much because the Free agent TE talent is small. JP or whomever the starter is would enjoy having a TE that is worth a d@mn...

as long as a starting caliber DT is brought in, I don't care if it's 1st round, 4th round or FA- it just needs to be addressed.

I agree that Villarial is better than Anderson, but I was at the Denver game and he just fell apart. he struggled at other times over the last two years as well- the Denver game was just the final straw for me. He's getting towards the end of his career, and he's dogging it on the field cuz he's already had his last big payday.

The TE's on this team are a joke and I just hope Everett can step up. Think Fasano from ND will last until our 2nd round pick? I don't even know if I'd like that move unless the OL was already addressed.

X-Era
02-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Good post oPi.

Replacement for Posey is already here, his name is Angelo Crowell.

I love ya Op, but we have a total of 1 pick (8 overall) to address all those needs? I honestly believe that our most solid player will come from the 2nd round or the top 3rd.

I agree with your take on our top priorities, but argue that we need 1 G and 1 DT this year, Villarial can play one more year while we develop a young G or sign one next year.

Furthermore, I think a guy like Pat Watkins at S, drafted in the 3rd, can start day one at FS.

As far as a WR replacement for Moulds, I think Evans can be a bonafide #1, meaning the #2 would be de-rated and we could get a guy like Greg Lee, or even Derek Haggan to be a possession type. Now, if we get a Gates type TE (Vernon Davis) we may be able to sign a serviceable but not stud #2 WR and be fine.

OpIv37
02-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Replacement for Posey is already here, his name is Angelo Crowell.

I love ya Op, but we have a total of 1 pick (8 overall) to address all those needs? I honestly believe that our most solid player will come from the 2nd round or the top 3rd.

I agree with your take on our top priorities, but argue that we need 1 G and 1 DT this year, Villarial can play one more year while we develop a young G or sign one next year.

Furthermore, I think a guy like Pat Watkins at S, drafted in the 3rd, can start day one at FS.

As far as a WR replacement for Moulds, I think Evans can be a bonafide #1, meaning the #2 would be de-rated and we could get a guy like Greg Lee, or even Derek Haggan to be a possession type. Now, if we get a Gates type TE (Vernon Davis) we may be able to sign a serviceable but not stud #2 WR and be fine.

that's a good point- a receiving TE would take pressure off the receivers. Unfortunately those guys are hard to find.

If we could draft a starting S with one of our 3rd's and drop Milloy or Vincent, that would be huge.

lordofgun
02-28-2006, 08:45 PM
I thought the cap was going to be 95mil? That would leave us 9mil under. :up:

camelcowboy
02-28-2006, 08:48 PM

:up: thats what i heard

OpIv37
02-28-2006, 08:51 PM

The article was assuming $93 m, but $95m is the speculation and that would be nice.

ICE74129
02-28-2006, 09:00 PM
95-96 mill is what Tags said. We will know tomorrow for sure