X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saratoga Slim
    • Jul 2005

Stadium naming rights

I see the Colts are getting 120 Million from Lucas Oil for naming rights to their new stadium.

The Indianapolis Colts have sold the naming rights for their new downtown stadium to California-based Lucas Oil Co., according to media reports.

Has Ralph ever been approached with a deal to put a corporate tagline on The Ralph Wilson Stadium?

Might be a way to generate some cashflow, esp. if we go capless for any extended period of time. I'm not all that attached to the name "Ralph Wilson Stadium" and at this point, if almost every other stadium has a corporate sponsor, why not.

I don't really know the history on this one, fill me in if I'm missing something.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Stadium naming rights

I bet Ralph is being asked about that today from other owners. Small market Ralph wants his cut from the revenue sharing, so he better make every effort to produce as much income as possible. The Bills need to sell the naming rights to the stadium.

Otherwise it comes across as " Do what I say, not as I do. "
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Exactly Night train. Ralph said he refuses to do that. He wants it Ralph Wilson stadium and such.

If ralph wants a leg to stand on, he better cut the crap and get with the program. He could gain 50 mill over 5 years easy if he would just do it. I am sure there are other options his 'old school' ways have kept him from making new money.

One of which...Increase ticket prices to be on par with the rest of the NFL. The Bills are one of the cheapest tickets around. He keeps doing that, and he won't get much sympathy from other owners.

Comment

• hydro
        • Oct 2005

From what i got from the new stadium in the works thread is that Ralph doesn't own the stadium, and the rent if from Erie County. So wouldn't Erie County get the all the funds that a naming rights would produce?
        BERNIAC!

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by hydrosmak
          From what i got from the new stadium in the works thread is that Ralph doesn't own the stadium, and the rent if from Erie County. So wouldn't Erie County get the all the funds that a naming rights would produce?
          Not totally. Ralph got money from the rich family when it was Rich stadium.

He could work a deal where the county gets 20% or something.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

What corporate place wants to put their name here? Rich stadium it was but who is left?? Any ideas?

How about mighty taco stadium?

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Skooby
              What corporate place wants to put their name here? Rich stadium it was but who is left?? Any ideas?

How about mighty taco stadium?
              Somebody would do it. Lucas Oil is a California company, and they're putting their name on Indy's field so its not like it has to be a local company. the NFL is the biggest pro sport, and there are not a lot of stadium sponsorship opportunities left
              Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

How about: (1) Sportservice Stadium (after the sports vending business owned by the Buffalo-based conglomerate, The Delaware North Companies.), or
                (2) Paychex Park (the company that made Golisano a billionaire.)

These two enterprises may be the only local entities with the resources to buy the Bills and keep them in Buffalo as well.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                  • Jul 2002

I bet Geritol, Depends, Doan's Pills or Metamucil will be all over the naming rights!
                  You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Pride
                    • Jul 2002

Verizon Stadium.

I am becoming more and more reserved to the fact that the Bills won't be in buffalo beyond 2008

Comment

• fushetti
                      President of the Rick Jeanneret Fanclub
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Pride
                      Verizon Stadium.

I am becoming more and more reserved to the fact that the Bills won't be in buffalo beyond 2008
                      Esp if they don't reach a CBA.
                      "And I do have a wish, albeit one that cannot and will not be fulfilled. I wish... I wish that standing next to me right now, would be Ted Darling."
                      Rick Jeanneret 4-14-96

Ted Darling "Voice of the Sabres"

Comment

Working...
                      X