PDA

View Full Version : Teams Crying About The 94-95 Cap Ceiling

Night Train
03-02-2006, 06:10 AM
The Bills spent responsibly over the last few years and then made some expected cuts yesterday. The projected cap is still up almost 10 Mil from last season, which is more than fair.

Yet as I peruse many national sites, I'm amazed at how many teams who screwed up their cap expected a bailout by seeing the cap suddenly rise to 105-110 Mil. GM's crying like children. Incredible. " Gee, I spent like a drunkin' idiot, figuring my bailout was coming "

SURPRISE ! TIME TO PAY UP !

The Bills, like several teams, were responsible during these times and should be rewarded with earned cap space.

Don't bail out these free spenders like Washington, Miami, Denver etc. I'd be royally pissed to see a last minute settlement with a higher cap ceiling.

I want to see these teams purge the crap out of their rosters today and laugh at them loudly. Then have some beers to celebrate their demise !

:beers:

BillsFever21
03-02-2006, 06:15 AM
But nobody said Donahoe did anything right?

They ***** because he didn't spend enough money for their taste but now they're happy he didn't.

don137
03-02-2006, 06:51 AM
I was listening to the sports radio station today in Charlotte and they had on the GM of the Panthers. He said they were given the salary cap figure last night around 8PM. They usually get a few weeks prior to free agency. A lot of teams were hoping a new deal would of taken place. He said he estimates 70-80 players being cut today.

Night Train
03-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Smaller cap = less competition for desired Free Agents.

vicmantak
03-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Smaller cap = less competition for desired Free Agents.Totally agree.

Mr B
03-02-2006, 07:27 AM

They ***** because he didn't spend enough money for their taste but now they're happy he didn't.

Defending Donahoe? The Bills were pretty close to the cap before Marv starting making cuts. Now look at the product on the field. The way the Bills played last season they should have been 20m under without having to cut anyone. How about quality depth on the roster? Don't the Bills have like 8M in dead cap money now? Yikes.

ICE74129
03-02-2006, 07:42 AM

Donahoe didn't do a damn thing right. Yeah he spent money...IN THE WRONG PLACES! Had he addressed both lines we would be picking in the high 20's or maybe between 29-32 this year!

Screw Tefflon tom

HHURRICANE
03-02-2006, 08:13 AM

TD managed the cap fine, it was the the crappy talent he brought in that got him fired.

carybillsfan
03-02-2006, 08:21 AM
When TD was brought in we were in cap hell. He did a great job with the cap, his only downfall, which is not different from a lot of teams, is he payed too much for players at the end of their careers. That is a chance you often take on the free agent market.

I truly believe that a CBA will be reached today, besides wouldn't it be nice to have $25mil in cap room to spend. At least we could compete for guys like hutch, bentley, maybe even buckner since thats desperate need position right now. $10mil won't get us 1 of those guys.

Spiderweb
03-02-2006, 08:32 AM

Well, he did spend right up to the cap and we sucked none the less. Some teams (Philly for example) was actually winners and had plenty of cap space left to boot. Seattle is another IIRC.

If TKO can't come back effectively or is just average, his contract will arise as a problem I would suspect in the near future. For what he's scheduled to make over his contract, he's got to perform at a high level....

ICE74129
03-02-2006, 08:53 AM
When TD was brought in we were in cap hell. He did a great job with the cap, his only downfall, which is not different from a lot of teams, is he payed too much for players at the end of their careers. That is a chance you often take on the free agent market.

I truly believe that a CBA will be reached today, besides wouldn't it be nice to have $25mil in cap room to spend. At least we could compete for guys like hutch, bentley, maybe even buckner since thats desperate need position right now. $10mil won't get us 1 of those guys.

Ok we go from 13 mill to 25 mill. That means the Vikes go from 24 mill to 37 mill. Can't compete with that.

Cut moulds and we are looking at about 18 mill before the CBA which puts us about 5th or 6th in available money. NOW we are talking about being able to bid for the top talent. an over all increase goes to everyone, It won't make much differance for us in creating distance between us and other teams cap wise.

carybillsfan
03-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Ok we go from 13 mill to 25 mill. That means the Vikes go from 24 mill to 37 mill. Can't compete with that.

Cut moulds and we are looking at about 18 mill before the CBA which puts us about 5th or 6th in available money. NOW we are talking about being able to bid for the top talent. an over all increase goes to everyone, It won't make much differance for us in creating distance between us and other teams cap wise.

I still think we cut moulds that gives about $30mil under a new 100+mill cap. Your vikings number is off, yes they are 24 mill under the cap right now but on March 10th they owe Culpepper a huge roster bonus, he would eat up $18 mil of the that $24mil leaving them just $6mil under current cap or $16mil under a new cap. Unless they cut him which is unlikely and there is no way to trade him, because frankly they are the only team that could afford his current contract without a new CBA.

We would have double the money to throw around and lets face it this team needs a lot of help, we could use every penny there willing to throw our way.

Besides if no agreement is made the structuring of the contracts will be different, only 4 years(instead of the current 7) to spread signing bonus out over, which means higher cap value for every player signed. Our cap money would be gone very quickly.

gr8slayer
03-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Donahoe didn't do a damn thing right. Yeah he spent money...IN THE WRONG PLACES! Had he addressed both lines we would be picking in the high 20's or maybe between 29-32 this year!

Screw Tefflon tom
Is that kind of like looking for love in all the wrong places?

Lexwhat
03-02-2006, 11:36 AM
I still think we cut moulds that gives about $30mil under a new 100+mill cap. Your vikings number is off, yes they are 24 mill under the cap right now but on March 10th they owe Culpepper a huge roster bonus, he would eat up $18 mil of the that $24mil leaving them just $6mil under current cap or $16mil under a new cap. Unless they cut him which is unlikely and there is no way to trade him, because frankly they are the only team that could afford his current contract without a new CBA.

We would have double the money to throw around and lets face it this team needs a lot of help, we could use every penny there willing to throw our way...

Looks like you own ICE. Roast!

G. Host
03-03-2006, 03:01 AM
Well, he did spend right up to the cap and we sucked none the less. Some teams (Philly for example) was actually winners and had plenty of cap space left to boot. Seattle is another IIRC..
Philly is not a winner now - all of those bonuses they have in contract which are never earned have to be accounted for now unless a new deal comes out. Philly will be in the "Sign the new contract, any contract" voting column.