PDA

View Full Version : Owners meeting done

justasportsfan
03-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Just on ESPN2's Cold Pizza.The owners reject Union's proposal and meeting over in 1 hour.. :idunno:

Forward_Lateral
03-02-2006, 09:21 AM
:ill: I hope this doesn't lead to what happened in the NHL.

ICE74129
03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Again, two things..

1) there will be NO CBA as long as Jerry Jones, Schnider and Kraft are being *******s about revinue sharing. 10 owners are dead set on not having a CBA without it/

2) they are not going to give the players 60% of thier gross.

It is past time for the NFL to cut the crap with some of thier owners. And it is WELL past time for the members of the NFLPA to vote out Gene Upshaw. That mans ego is hurting them more than helping them.

I would like to see vincent call up the other 31 teams NFLPA reps and hold a vote of no confidence in Upshaw and get his ass outta there.

justasportsfan
03-02-2006, 09:25 AM
NEW YORK -- NFL owners voted unanimously Thursday to break off talks with players on salary cap changes.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9278308

Michael82
03-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Oh God. It begins. Nice job, Paul Tagliabue. Way to destroy your league and control your owners. :bf1:

:mad: :curse: :puke:

ICE74129
03-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Oh God. It begins. Nice job, Paul Tagliabue. Way to destroy your league and control your owners. :bf1:

brother Tags is doing the RIGHT Thing. There are 10 owners that are rightfully so, standing thier ground. A flat 60% cripples lower income teams. Upshaw saying '60+ % or nothing' isn't negotiation, it is a bully tactic.

Tags is doing the right thing. He isn't going to let 7 top paid owners nor the players dictate the league.

Like Mort said, this WILL Get resolved at some point. But did you notice that the owers rejected the NFLPA proposal across the board? That says there is something really jacked up with it.

It's time the NFLPA player reps hold a meeting and vote upshaw out. His ego is now dictating the negotiations.

Forward_Lateral
03-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Sounds a lot like the Betman vs Goodnow feud. Look who survived that one. It's rare that a player union guy will out last a commishioner.

ICE74129
03-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Sounds a lot like the Betman vs Goodnow feud. Look who survived that one. It's rare that a player union guy will out last a commishioner.

You would be correct sir.

justasportsfan
03-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Owners break off talks with players union

NFL.com wire reports

NEW YORK (March 2, 2006) -- NFL owners voted unanimously Thursday to break off talks with the players' union on a contract extension, leaving the current salary cap in place with the start of free agency looming -- and possibly forcing the mass dumping of veterans.

The owners, who met for 57 minutes Thursday morning, endorsed a recommendation by their management council executive committee to reject the union's latest proposal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9278378

Night Train
03-02-2006, 09:42 AM

Don't look at it that way, Mikey. Clump has us 12.5 Mil under. Tendering ERFA and RFA's takes away 2 Mil from that. If Moulds leaves, we receive another 5.5 Mil break. That leaves us around 16 Mil. Now I realize other factors could draw off that total, but...

The bottom line is a mass purge will happen today. The UFA pool will suddenly have a glut of choices with only a few teams able to afford them...the Bills being one of those teams. We could make some very good signings of 2-4 needed players.

In the meantime, the owners will work on their differences among themselves, such as $$ distribution. Once settled, the CBA will be worked on. Gene Upshaw can babble all he wants but the owners will lock the players out, without a future salary cap. The players will only hold out so long and would still have a better contract than before. That would be good until 2013.

Keep the faith. We're in OK shape and don't read the contrived horror stories.

Mitchy moo
03-02-2006, 09:54 AM
NFL owners vote to break off talks with NFLPA

<!-- end pagetitle --><!-- begin bylinebox -->Associated Press

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->NEW YORK -- NFL owners voted unanimously Thursday to break off talks with the players' union on a contract extension, leaving the current salary cap in place with the start of free agency looming and possibly forcing the mass dumping of veterans.
The owners, who met for 57 minutes Thursday morning, endorsed a recommendation by their management council executive committee to reject the union's latest proposal.
NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said the financial demands made by the players were unacceptable.
"We are indeed deadlocked," Tagliabue said.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2351271

RedEyE
03-02-2006, 09:55 AM
A unanimous decision means that every owner agreed, not that 10 owners are holding thir ground.

Jan Reimers
03-02-2006, 10:15 AM
A unanimous decision means that every owner agreed, not that 10 owners are holding thir ground.
As I understand it, there is the intra-owner disagreement over how the various teams - small and large market - share revenue amongst each other. The owners are divided on this issue.

They are apparently more united on the issue of how much total gross revenue the owners should share with the players. The players' union, last I heard, was at 60%, while the owners were at 56.2%, and the players wanted all revenues to count in the gross, where the owners want certain exclusions.

RedEyE
03-02-2006, 10:16 AM
As I understand it, there is the intra-owner disagreement over how the various teams - small and large market - share revenue amongst each other. The owners are divided on this issue.

They are apparently more united on the issue of how much total gross revenue the owners should share with the players. The players' union, last I heard, was at 60%, while the owners were at 56.2%, and the players wanted all revenues to count in the gross, where the owners want certain exclusions.

Ah, I see. I overlooked that part.

ArcticWildMan
03-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Like was said on ESPN radio this morning, the players union is whacked. Look at the NBA and and baseball. Players run the show with their huge contracts that hamstring owners.

The NFLPA needs to bite the bullet and accept what the owners are offering or it's just going to hurt the players. You will see a lot of vets cut that won't be able to find a roster spot and you will see a lockout in 2008 which will hurt all the players.