PDA

View Full Version : Everett?

BillsOwnAll
03-04-2006, 02:47 PM
We drafted him for TE last year and he got hurt. Why is everyone so big on drafting Davis this year? I understand he could be THE BEST, but we have so many other holes and davis is nothing but a prospect right now...as is evrett. So why have two prospects from ealry draft picks at the TE spot? Dont you think itd be better to find a OL or DL prospect wwith the 8th pick. This is a deep draft theress plenty out there.

T-Long
03-04-2006, 03:14 PM
with Moulds pretty much gone, I bet we run more 2TE sets to pound the ball with willis.

The Natrix
03-04-2006, 03:31 PM
I'd be pretty upset if Marv went with Davis. Fix the lines. The only non OL or DL I'd be happy with is Huff.

kgun12
03-04-2006, 04:20 PM
We drafted him for TE last year and he got hurt. Why is everyone so big on drafting Davis this year? I understand he could be THE BEST, but we have so many other holes and davis is nothing but a prospect right now...as is evrett. So why have two prospects from ealry draft picks at the TE spot? Dont you think itd be better to find a OL or DL prospect wwith the 8th pick. This is a deep draft theress plenty out there.

:crap: Don't start this again! Don't you know a TE will make us a SB team. Forget that we have a terrible line Davis will be our savior!!! :roflmao:

Marvelous
03-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Natrix, don't set yourself up liek that. It's unfair to all if you become bitter simply because we didn't get what you expected.. Butler (rip) used to draft bpa at times and i like it. So if we did get a CB although we have 22 & Mcgee, it's still could be solid because we now have options with trading nate or if we can't afford nate next year etc.. Day 1 lineman are good outside the 1st.. I just don't wanna be locked in on a position with a pick this early...

Tatonka
03-05-2006, 01:01 AM
regardless of what we do with the first pick, we can still fix the lines.. it is only one pick.. one person.. ngata doesnt fit our scheme, per marv cutting a guy like sam.. and brick will be gone most likely.. so there is no O or D line to take at 8.

YardRat
03-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Davis doesn't seem viable to me at this point, unless we trade down, get extra picks, and he's still there when we roll around again.

Ngata and DT may be a moot point, if the 'speculation' on the Rams DT's has any truth to it.

ICE74129
03-05-2006, 08:41 AM
What do we really need? Two DT's ( Free agency) and a LG (Free agency). Look somehow Gandy, Preston (at center) Villarial and Peters WILL Start on this OL. That means one OL Man but with better coaching from an OC And Scheme standpoint.

An impact TE immediately changes how teams defend us and how much better we can move the ball. IF we have addressed DT's, LG and SS in free agency and Davis is there...you take him.

Jan Reimers
03-05-2006, 09:33 AM
What do we really need? Two DT's ( Free agency) and a LG (Free agency). Look somehow Gandy, Preston (at center) Villarial and Peters WILL Start on this OL. That means one OL Man but with better coaching from an OC And Scheme standpoint.

An impact TE immediately changes how teams defend us and how much better we can move the ball. IF we have addressed DT's, LG and SS in free agency and Davis is there...you take him.
Spoken just like . . . Tom Donahoe.

Dozerdog
03-05-2006, 09:42 AM
with Moulds pretty much gone, I bet we run more 2TE sets to pound the ball with willis.If that's the [plan- you couldn't pick two less-capable TE's.

These TE's are to light and aren't the beefy blocking TE's you need. If that was the plan, Keep Neufeld and Campbell

Saratoga Slim
03-05-2006, 09:51 AM
I like Ngata a lot and have been pulling for him, but cutting Sam Adams to me says that Marv is looking for a different breed of DT and I'm now doubting that we'll take him at 8. Thus we'll most likely have Huff and Davis to choose from at 8, with a small chance of either Brick/Hawk/Mario. FA will determine which guy makes more sense for us. If we can't find a solid SS in FA, I would be happy with Huff. If we do, Davis would be a good grab.

That said, I take Brick/Mario/Hawk over Huff or Davis.

ICE, I agree that Peters, Preston, and Villarial are going to start, but I think the verdict is still out on Gandy. I could see signing Fabini, Runyon or Glenn, keeping Gandy as depth, and drafting a LG in the second round.

TigerJ
03-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Buffalo has holes on both lines. The question is, what does Buffalo do if the players who represent good value for the eighth position in the draft don't play on the line. Really, the only lineman that may be there who is a good value is Haloti Ngata. As many are quick to point out, he may be more suited to a run plugging NT in a 3-4 than a penetrating DT in a 4-3 alignhment concentrating on the cover 2. It's possible he'll be gone too. Buffalo could trade down. I think that's a very real possibility, but if they don't get that opportunity, I'd rather they pick a future star than take a player who is a giant reach at a need position.

YardRat
03-05-2006, 04:38 PM
There appear to be enough quality offensive tackles in the draft this year to allow the team to trade out of #8 and pick one up later.

My opinion is both positions on the left side of the line need to be upgraded. Anderson sucks, and Gandy certainly isn't the answer at LT.

FlyingDutchman
03-05-2006, 06:06 PM
with Moulds pretty much gone, I bet we run more 2TE sets to pound the ball with willis.

agreed, now hopefully our new coach actually sticks to that plan.

Bill Brasky
03-05-2006, 07:14 PM
We drafted him for TE last year and he got hurt. Why is everyone so big on drafting Davis this year?

because people are ******s.

they will ***** all season/offseason about the OL and DL, then when the draft comes they will be the first to want to waste our picks on a RB, WR, QB, or TE.

ublinkwescore
03-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Davis doesn't seem viable to me at this point, unless we trade down, get extra picks, and he's still there when we roll around again.

Ngata and DT may be a moot point, if the 'speculation' on the Rams DT's has any truth to it.

What speculation would this be?

BillsFever21
03-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Buffalo has holes on both lines. The question is, what does Buffalo do if the players who represent good value for the eighth position in the draft don't play on the line. Really, the only lineman that may be there who is a good value is Haloti Ngata. As many are quick to point out, he may be more suited to a run plugging NT in a 3-4 than a penetrating DT in a 4-3 alignhment concentrating on the cover 2. It's possible he'll be gone too. Buffalo could trade down. I think that's a very real possibility, but if they don't get that opportunity, I'd rather they pick a future star than take a player who is a giant reach at a need position.

Them same people would be crying later on about us passing up on superstar for that lesser of a player who was a need position at the time and paying him a ton more money then he was worth and how we could've gotten him 7 picks later.

You gotta take a great player if you have use for him and base your needs later on around them.

tat2dmike77
03-06-2006, 02:41 PM
because people are ******s.

they will ***** all season/offseason about the OL and DL, then when the draft comes they will be the first to want to waste our picks on a RB, WR, QB, or TE.

See below J

The_Philster
03-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Natrix, don't set yourself up liek that. It's unfair to all if you become bitter simply because we didn't get what you expected.. Butler (rip) used to draft bpa at times and i like it. So if we did get a CB although we have 22 & Mcgee, it's still could be solid because we now have options with trading nate or if we can't afford nate next year etc.. Day 1 lineman are good outside the 1st.. I just don't wanna be locked in on a position with a pick this early...
Truth be told, he did draft for need a lot of the time as well. Thomas Smith, Jeff Burris, and Antoine Winfield played at nickel their rookie years and replaced a starter in their 2nd seasons...so Butler had his eye on the following year a lot with his picks

ShadowHawk7
03-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Since Ngata doesn't fix our scheme, Brick won't be there, and we're suddenly in the market for a starting SS, I'd now say go either Super Mario or Huff at pick 8. I'm pulling for the signing of either Tank Williams or Chris Hope in the FA, but if we don't get either, Huff would be a solid pick at 8 IMO..

kgun12
03-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Can I ask a question here? Until the combine, how many people knew who the hell Davis was. Seriously unless you happened to watch a Maryland game, who knew anything about this kid? Somebody comes on here posts some good numbers about him and he is the next coming of...well I can't even give you an example of the next coming, cause I can't think of a TE who actually change the game of football, at any level! Besides there have been MANY playes at the combine who had GREAT numbers who didn't do anything in the NFL. Being a gym rate or having speed has never made a player an automatic in the NFL. If that were the case, GM's would be waiting by the fence at the national tack and field and weight lifting competitions to sign there players. BTW A Reed, S. Tasker, H. Ballard and so many othes didn't have great numbers and turned out pretty well.

Now I'm not saying this kid won't be good, but I don't understand all the hype for someone who wasn't even know 2 months ago. One more thing he is a TE, about 8th on our need board!

TigerJ
03-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Truth be told, he did draft for need a lot of the time as well. Thomas Smith, Jeff Burris, and Antoine Winfield played at nickel their rookie years and replaced a starter in their 2nd seasons...so Butler had his eye on the following year a lot with his picks

A lot of the time I don't think it's either/or. If you have two players whom you rate close in value, obviously you take the guy who fills a need. Best player available probably really means "best player available for our team" and takes need into account. Still need can't be your only factor, and it can't ride roughshod over other considerations. If the best player at a need position is rated on your board quite a bit lower than other players who are not at need positions, you can screw yourself in the long run if you take the need player over the better player. The deeper you go in the draft, the less likely it is that this scenario arises because the difference in value between players shrinks to where it may be just a matter of preference between multiple players. It's much easier to pick for need the later you get in the draft.

gr8slayer
03-06-2006, 06:10 PM
It does'nt matter who we draft in the first round. This draft is very deep when it comes to OL and DL.

gr8slayer
03-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Can I ask a question here? Until the combine, how many people knew who the hell Davis was. Seriously unless you happened to watch a Maryland game, who knew anything about this kid? Somebody comes on here posts some good numbers about him and he is the next coming of...well I can't even give you an example of the next coming, cause I can't think of a TE who actually change the game of football, at any level! Besides there have been MANY playes at the combine who had GREAT numbers who didn't do anything in the NFL. Being a gym rate or having speed has never made a player an automatic in the NFL. If that were the case, GM's would be waiting by the fence at the national tack and field and weight lifting competitions to sign there players. BTW A Reed, S. Tasker, H. Ballard and so many othes didn't have great numbers and turned out pretty well.

Now I'm not saying this kid won't be good, but I don't understand all the hype for someone who wasn't even know 2 months ago. One more thing he is a TE, about 8th on our need board!
Anyone who followed football even a little bit?

TigerJ
03-06-2006, 09:30 PM
I do find it interesting that in mid-January Marcedes Lewis was the next great TE to enter the NFL. He had it all. Now, seven weeks later it's Vernon Davis. I've seen on some lists where Marcedes Lewis isn't even the #2 TE (#2 is now Leonard Pope in some rankings). I'm not saying that Vernon Davis doesn't merit his present high regard, but I think draft prognosticators sometimes bear an uncanny resemblance to lemmings.

kgun12
03-06-2006, 10:28 PM
Anyone who followed football even a little bit?

Not buying it Dude, I watch college and pro games every weekend, have heard his name, but not as the next coming. I just like some people that say they watch a little football get to hyped up after reading some of the stuff on these boards. Again not saying he will be good or bas, but he is a TE.

ajsdx
03-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Not buying it Dude, I watch college and pro games every weekend, have heard his name, but not as the next coming. I just like some people that say they watch a little football get to hyped up after reading some of the stuff on these boards. Again not saying he will be good or bas, but he is a TE.

I actually agree. I'm a student at an ACC school and I watch 5-7 football games per weekend. I've certainly heard good things about Davis, but never ever ever ever thought about drafting him until the combine. I would certainly go for him if we needed TE, but it's clear we don't. My opinion is that you only draft that far away from your need if the guy is someone who instantly changes your offense. I don't think he's one of those guys -- he certainly wasn't at UM.

gr8slayer
03-07-2006, 10:15 AM
People might not have known just how much of an athlete he was before the combine but they knew who the guy was.

Jeff1220
03-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Davis was definitely a 1st rounder, probably top 15 pre-combine. The combine just showed his athleticism and power (along with determination and work ethic) and that boosted him into a projected top 10.