PDA

View Full Version : Look for moulds to be cut tonight or traded tomorrow.

ICE74129
03-05-2006, 08:38 AM
it looks like no CBA will be agreed upon and the NFL/ NFLPA are not going to push free agency back any further. Now that means a SCHEDULED uncapped year in 07, but I am sure a CBA will be worked out sometime soon.

We can't be active in Free agency the way we need to be with moulds on the books. He isn't willing to take a paycut, and the Bills (smartly, for many reasons...not a knock on moulds personally) are not going to restructure his contract and put us in further trouble later.

I see moulds somehow being an eagle tomorrow sometime.

Dozerdog
03-05-2006, 08:49 AM
They will be negotiating today BTW.

Also, the Bills aren't forced to cut Moulds right away- they can hold off until they actually need the money.

A trade is out of the question. Why would a team want to take on a huge salary like that AND give up something for the right? They could sit back and wait and get him a lot cheaper

mybills
03-05-2006, 09:07 AM
In the meantime, Holcomb gets a salary increase to 1.125 mil. :shakeno:

ICE74129
03-05-2006, 09:13 AM
They will be negotiating today BTW.

Also, the Bills aren't forced to cut Moulds right away- they can hold off until they actually need the money.

A trade is out of the question. Why would a team want to take on a huge salary like that AND give up something for the right? They could sit back and wait and get him a lot cheaper

They need the money now. They need two DT's a SS and a LG right off of the bat. After that they can slow the pace down.

As for a trade, they only absorb his base pay (just over 6 mill). The SB the he is on our cap for doesn't transfer. They can do an extention/New contract with him and have Zero cap penalties for doing so since they only have base salary to deal with. It's easy to trade moulds.

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2006, 09:22 AM
No, it is almost impossible to trade Moulds. When was the last time you saw a player in his situation traded? It won't happen. He will be cut and go to whatever team he wants to. They are unlikely to sign all of those positions right away (which they also don't need righ away, BTW - there is still a draft coming up and this is not a one year rebuilding plan)

And Dozer is right. There is no reason to cut him now. The Bills can wait (and should). Make it more difficult for him. If they need the money to sign somebody, then they cut him (or somebody like Bennie Anderson). That will make it harded for Moulds to go elsewhere and he might eventually take the pay cut.

patmoran2006
03-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Moulds will be cut sometime today, I think they want to approach midnite the capacity to be aggressive if they so choose. I think they know now Moulds is NEVER gonna play here for less..

Besides that.. I agree.. Don't cut Anderson, Gandy or Posey unless you need to and that money goes towards signing someone better at the positions.

don137
03-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Out of respect for Mould I think they will cut him today instead of waiting. The thing if no agreement is reached today players in FA will get much less than they hoped.

Saratoga Slim
03-05-2006, 09:35 AM
We shouldnt cut Anderson or Gandy period. Even if we sign replacements, we need depth on the OL and those guys provide it. I think Posey is a slightly different story, as we do have some depth at LB (Crowell, Haggan, Stamer), so if we sign another strong side backer, I'm OK with sending Posey packing.

Dozerdog
03-05-2006, 09:37 AM
In the meantime, Holcomb gets a salary increase to 1.125 mil. :shakeno:Call it the "JP Sucked too much Tax"

It was what- a $300K bonus for playing time?

I wouldn't be suprised that whatever playing or performance incentives JP didn't make were larger than whatever Holcomb made.

Think of it as an $80K per win Holcomb started tax.

Jan Reimers
03-05-2006, 09:38 AM
In the meantime, Holcomb gets a salary increase to 1.125 mil. :shakeno:
And, since he's our future and the man to put that 8-start bust Losman on the bench, doesn't he deserve every penny of it?

mybills
03-05-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm gonna :faint: if Moulds takes the pay cut after all.
But I'd also be smiling from ear to ear! :D

mybills
03-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Holcomb our "future" ??? :rofl:

The Quebecer
03-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Another twist in the NFL's soap opera :

"NFL | Labor deal getting close?
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 06:32:39 -0800

Mark Maske, of the Washington Post, reports the NFL's labor negotiations took a dramatic turn overnight. Participants said the two sides were close to completing a deal. Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players Association, said via e-mail early this morning that the parties had scheduled another meeting in New York and were "now in the area where we will get a deal. I think it may be there. It comes down to a few final points." The talks ended yesterday with the owners offering 56.6 percent of an expanded pool of league revenues to the players as compensation under a salary-cap system. Upshaw had dropped his demand that the players receive at least 60 percent, but he would not specify exactly what percentage his latest proposal called for. Owners have said they could complete a labor deal with the players without finishing a revenue-sharing agreement immediately. The compromise might be a provision in the labor deal to limit the amount of money that teams can spend above the flexible salary cap. A labor settlement would push next season's salary cap as high as $108 million per team and would alleviate the salary cap crunches being experienced by many teams."

So, if the deal goes through, the Bills might change their plans about Moulds...
We will see...

ICE74129
03-05-2006, 09:44 AM
And, since he's our future and the man to put that 8-start bust Losman on the bench, doesn't he deserve every penny of it?

Holcomb isn't our future or our present. We had best find someone else if that is the case.

Look, JP will be the man. They are going to give him every chance to win this job. I think under a competent staff he will do just fine.

Jan Reimers
03-05-2006, 09:48 AM
Holcomb isn't our future or our present. We had best find someone else if that is the case.

Look, JP will be the man. They are going to give him every chance to win this job. I think under a competent staff he will do just fine.
I was being sarcastic. I'm one of the biggest JP boosters on this board.

ICE74129
03-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Another twist in the NFL's soap opera :

"NFL | Labor deal getting close?
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 06:32:39 -0800

Mark Maske, of the Washington Post, reports the NFL's labor negotiations took a dramatic turn overnight. Participants said the two sides were close to completing a deal. Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the NFL Players Association, said via e-mail early this morning that the parties had scheduled another meeting in New York and were "now in the area where we will get a deal. I think it may be there. It comes down to a few final points." The talks ended yesterday with the owners offering 56.6 percent of an expanded pool of league revenues to the players as compensation under a salary-cap system. Upshaw had dropped his demand that the players receive at least 60 percent, but he would not specify exactly what percentage his latest proposal called for. Owners have said they could complete a labor deal with the players without finishing a revenue-sharing agreement immediately. The compromise might be a provision in the labor deal to limit the amount of money that teams can spend above the flexible salary cap. A labor settlement would push next season's salary cap as high as $108 million per team and would alleviate the salary cap crunches being experienced by many teams."

So, if the deal goes through, the Bills might change their plans about Moulds...
We will see...
I'm sorry but you don't keep moulds at his current cap number. It is a matter of principal. He isn't worth 11 mill on our cap.

From a pure football stand point, nothing personal against the guy at all, you can't keep him for that money. You just cant.

What will moulds mean this year? Nothing. We are not going to contend this year. So we are taking up at least two position spots of younger players that we could have in here getting ready for an 07 run by keeping moulds.

Ok we get better, we might make a run the next year in 07. Now what? Moulds takes up MORE cap room than this year futher setting us back brigning in guys in the 07 offseason to put us over the top. AND he is declining even further in to a solid #2 tops. His cap number doesn't warrant taking up a #2 WR spot. Leadership? Moulds showed in the locker room and at the miami game, he isn't providing leadership to our younger players. In fact this last year was nothing but opposite of the way I would like Lee Evans to act as a veteran. Even the most hardcore Moulds fan has to agree.

Also he flat refuses to play hard when JP is in there. JP IS going to be our QB. As I said before they are going to give him EVERY opportunity to win this job. Marv and DJ are not going to turn this franchise over to a 30+ year old guy that has never won, and is showing a drastic downturn in his abilities (holcomb). It is JP's or some other guy's to win. But mould flat refuses to play for JP. That IS a major issue.

The best thing for both parties is to cut moulds. Cut his number off of our cap, and let the guy spend his last two good years with a team that is playoff ready and a 'Moulds' away from maybe making the superbowl. If you are a true fan of the Bills or moulds then you realise this is hands down what is best.

ICE74129
03-05-2006, 09:50 AM
I was being sarcastic. I'm one of the biggest JP boosters on this board.

Well damn it jan put (sarcasm off) behind your post :roflmao:

The Quebecer
03-05-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm sorry but you don't keep moulds at his current cap number. It is a matter of principal. He isn't worth 11 mill on our cap.

From a pure football stand point, nothing personal against the guy at all, you can't keep him for that money. You just cant.

What will moulds mean this year? Nothing. We are not going to contend this year. So we are taking up at least two position spots of younger players that we could have in here getting ready for an 07 run by keeping moulds.

Ok we get better, we might make a run the next year in 07. Now what? Moulds takes up MORE cap room than this year futher setting us back brining in guys in the 07 offseason to put us over the top. AND he is declining even further in to a solid #2 tops. His cap number doesn't warrant taking up a #2 WR spot. Leadership? Moulds showed in the locker room and at the miami game, he isn't providing leadership to our younger players. In fact this last year was nothing but opposite of the way I would like Lee Evans to act as a veteran. Even the most hardcore Moulds fan has to agree.

The best thing for both parties is to cut moulds. Cut his number off of our cap, and let the guy spend his last two good years with a team that is playoff ready and a 'Moulds' away from maybe making the superbowl. If you are a true fan of the Bills or moulds then you realise this is hands down what is best.

ICE, I'm with you on this one... there is no way & no reason why Moulds should be kept at this rate... but the main question is : What does Marv wants? That's what I was refering to with the probable deal on the CBA, maybe Marv will want to keep the veteran WR... Who knows what Marv really thinks...

ICE74129
03-05-2006, 09:57 AM
ICE, I'm with you on this one... there is no way & no reason why Moulds should be kept at this rate... but the main question is : What does Marv wants? That's what I was refering to with the probable deal on the CBA, maybe Marv will want to keep the veteran WR... Who knows what Marv really thinks...

Then get another veteran WR. This reeks of Ralph Wilson and or Sentimentality by Marv. Both are bad for the franchise.

Marv as GM has to look at this from a Business standpoint. Moulds and what he brings to the field doesn't = 11+ million. and If Moulds won't take a pay CUT, then move on without him. There are other Veteran WR's out there.

The Quebecer
03-05-2006, 10:03 AM
About the other veteran WR, do you have someone in mind?

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2006, 11:23 AM
The question comes to this: Is Moulds worth 4-5 million? Is he that much better than the other WR's that will be out there? And if he is not, what are the Bills chance of getting one of those guys? The 11 million figure should not be used, since that is NOT his net value.

Bert102176
03-05-2006, 01:52 PM
wow I agree with Ice

Bert102176
03-05-2006, 01:53 PM
and just for the heck of it, I think JP will do great once he gets a real OL and a good OC and QB coach which I'm hoping they have now

ICE74129
03-05-2006, 02:47 PM
The question comes to this: Is Moulds worth 4-5 million? Is he that much better than the other WR's that will be out there? And if he is not, what are the Bills chance of getting one of those guys? The 11 million figure should not be used, since that is NOT his net value.

But his base salary is over 6 mill. His bonus for just reporting to camp is another 1 million. So you have to ask, is he worth 7 mill? the answer is no. I would pay the guy a flat 3 mill per with some bonuses taking it to a total of 5 mill. But he will never agree to it.

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I am talking actual cap savings. Whatever the Bills save on the cap (5-6 million) by letting him go, you need to subtract the approximate 1 million in cap space it will take to sign a David Givens level of WR.