PDA

View Full Version : If this isn't tampering, then I don't know what is...

Michael82
03-05-2006, 03:27 PM
The Vikings realize this is the weakest position on their roster, and they are aggressively addressing it. The buzz around the NFL is that Minnesota has already agreed in principle on a multiyear deal with outside linebacker Ben Leber, who played the past four seasons for the San Diego Chargers. Leber could land a $7 million signing bonus and a contract that averages $4 million a year, a whopping figure for a player with 212 career tackles.
But Leber is big (6 feet 3, 244 pounds) and athletic, and Fran Foley, the Vikings' vice president of player personnel, knows him well from their days with the Chargers.
http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/14024355.htm

T-Long
03-05-2006, 03:36 PM
yeah, how is that legal?

TigerJ
03-05-2006, 03:59 PM
I think I read somewhere a while back that teams could talk with pending free agents and agree to contract terms, but just couldn't sign contracts.

Akhippo
03-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Thats the same with stories of Philly all but rapping up L Bentley

Michael82
03-05-2006, 04:12 PM
I think I read somewhere a while back that teams could talk with pending free agents and agree to contract terms, but just couldn't sign contracts.
thats not true. There is a rule about that. They can't talk to pending Free Agents until the day that Free Agency begins and there's no way in hell they can agree to contract terms. That is called tampering.

Dozerdog
03-05-2006, 04:12 PM
How do you think TD signed Posey 30 seconds after Midnight a few years back?

Michael82
03-05-2006, 04:13 PM
How do you think TD signed Posey 30 seconds after Midnight a few years back?
must have been a quick negotiator. :snicker:

So basically, it's a rule that everybody openly breaks? :scratch:

Dozerdog
03-05-2006, 04:21 PM
I think that agents, who probably spend a lot of time with the GMs of teams leading up to FAcy (renegotiating their client's salaries -restructuring) get into "Hypothetical" discussions about the Agent's other clients who are available.

The only ones hurting themselves by committing early are the players themselves. They take away their own ability to visit other clubs and getting the best offers.

If a team really wanted to compete with the Viikes and outbid for this guy- I'm sure the player wouldn't commit so fast.

Most likely, this particular player wants to move to Minnesota at any cost, and will take whatever the Vikes offer.

DraftBoy
03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
I think this is more of gentleman's agreement than any actual rule. Its there more for looks than for following.