PDA

View Full Version : 10PM Deadline.. Is Moulds the only one going?

patmoran2006
03-05-2006, 05:00 PM
ESPN.com - NFL - NFL extends waiver deadline to Sunday, 10 p.m. ET (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2355190)

Looks like FA is going to start as scheduled at Midnite.. Moulds is probably on the phone with a new realtor now.

But is that it? Here's the way I see it (the very brief version)...
Bennie Anderson, Mike Gandy and Chris Villarrial (always banged up and costly penalties) are not starting linemen on a team that's going to do anything offensively. They're too expensive to be backups (yes guys, Gandy is over $2 million and Anderson just under that number).. So if you're SERIOUS about making this line better.. GET RID OF THEM... ALL OF THEM

Cutting the three would give the club well over $4 million more in cap space, that sounds like an ESTABLISHED left tackle to me.. Runyan, Shaffer or Ashworth.

Then get another guard with some of the money saved by MOulds (neal from NE would be real nice).. Use the rest of the free cash on defense and the first pick in the draft on either Huff or Ngata/Bunkley..

2nd Rounder goes to guard without QUESTION.

Then you got Ashworth, Neal, Preston, Spencer (draft) and Peters. THAT IS A LINE THAT CAN WIN! They're steady, young and with plenty of upside left.. I'm gonna let you in on a secret, I dont care who is coaching the line.. Gandy, Bennie and Chris V.. are NOT going to get any better.

No more Bennies and GAndy's running around this starting unit.. And Villarrial for lack of a better word.. is a bum (i'm fired up and shooting here).. He comes out of almost every game winded or banged up, and he gets very Ruben brown'ish penalties at the worst times..

They still have FA money to sign two starters on D and draft a third (round one) if they go this route.

Please Marv.. Cut your losses with these mediocre (at best) lineman and take a page from Seattle and Denver's book.

YardRat
03-05-2006, 05:03 PM
I'd be surprised if Anderson is still around.

I would doubt they gut the entire line, though.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-05-2006, 05:05 PM
ESPN.com - NFL - NFL extends waiver deadline to Sunday, 10 p.m. ET (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2355190)

Looks like FA is going to start as scheduled at Midnite.. Moulds is probably on the phone with a new realtor now.

Bennie Anderson, Mike Gandy and Chris Villarrial (always banged up and costly penalties) are not starting linemen on a team that's going to do anything offensively. They're too expensive to be backups (yes guys, Gandy is over $2 million and Anderson just under that number).. So if you're SERIOUS about making this line better.. GET RID OF THEM... ALL OF THEM

Cutting the three would give the club well over $4 million more in cap space, that sounds like an ESTABLISHED left tackle to me.. Runyan, Shaffer or Ashworth.

Then get another guard with some of the money saved by MOulds (neal from NE would be real nice).. Use the rest of the free cash on defense and the first pick in the draft on either Huff or Ngata/Bunkley..

Then you got Ashworth, Neal, Preston, Spencer (draft) and Peters. THAT IS A LINE THAT CAN WIN! They're steady, young and with plenty of upside left.. I'm gonna let you in on a secret, I dont care who is coaching the line.. Gandy, Bennie and Chris V.. are NOT going to get any better.

No more Bennies and GAndy's running around this starting unit.. And Villarrial for lack of a better word.. is a bum (i'm fired up and shooting here).. He comes out of almost every game winded or banged up, and he gets very Ruben brown'ish penalties at the worst times..

They still have FA money to sign two starters on D and draft a third (round one) if they go this route.

Please Marv.. Cut your losses with these mediocre (at best) lineman and take a page from Seattle and Denver's book.

Chris Villarrial will not get cut, he's Juron's guy he was there when Juron was coach in Chicago.

T-Long
03-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I bet it gets pushed back AGAIN until Wednesday. I am sick of this crap. I want to start getting excited again...and not have to freaking wait longer now

patmoran2006
03-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Villarrial was perhaps the most overated player in the ENTIRE team last year when you factor in his salary.

I'm aware he was Jauron's guy.. But this line stinks.. People are forgetting WHY are offense has been crappy for three years running now.. Our line is GARBAGE only Peters deserves a pass and thats only because he still has a lot of upside.

OpIv37
03-05-2006, 05:15 PM
In an ideal world I'd like to see all of those guys cut as well. But we already need at least two starting-caliber linemen and doing that would just make the situation worse. If the FO is convinced they could find enough suitable replacements, I'd be in favor of the move. But I think it's just too challenging to replace that many players.

patmoran2006
03-05-2006, 05:19 PM
OP
When you're 5-11 and your offense is 100% enemic.. the front office, if they're any good shouldnt have to convince themselves they can find suitable replacement.

DraftBoy
03-05-2006, 05:32 PM
I dont think Gandy should be cut the rest can go however. Also Schaefer is not a quality starting tackle he is an overrated peice of trash.

patmoran2006
03-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Compared to Gandy he's ANthony Munoz

Mahdi
03-05-2006, 05:38 PM

Mike Gandy played pretty well last year and he never got dominated. The bills were weak in the interior of the O-line which is where all the pressure came from. So, if any upgrades are going to be made the interior is the priority. Plus, Ashworth is not so much better than Gandy if at all, to warrant Gandy getting cut only to pay Ashworth more. Ashworth doesnt even start in NE. Shaffer is no better either. Runyan is a solid run blocker so if he came to Buffalo he would play the right side and Peters would go to LT, and that I would not mind. But again, lets get a center and LG first.

Saratoga Slim
03-05-2006, 05:40 PM
I think we keep Gandy too. He's not that bad, and I don't mind paying for at least one backup tackle who can start if necessary. Do we really want another Jerman incident? Same for Bennie Anderson. We're only saving like 900K of cap space by cutting Bennie, and I don't think we save anywhere near 2M by cutting Gandy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Can we sign someone as good as Bennie for 900K, his cap savings? maybe, maybe not. He's not a starter, but he's a quality backup. We have enough maybes in our FA needs already, keep these guys so we know that we at least have a few bodies returning.

patmoran2006
03-05-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm not saying the interior isn't as important.. I cited THREE players who need to get the pink slip, and two are inside players..

This isnt a line that needs a small piece here and there.. they are straight up NOT GOOD ENOUGH.. None of them except Peters... almost any GM in the league will say the same..

Mahdi
03-05-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm not saying the interior isn't as important.. I cited THREE players who need to get the pink slip, and two are inside players..

This isnt a line that needs a small piece here and there.. they are straight up NOT GOOD ENOUGH.. None of them except Peters... almost any GM in the league will say the same..
I agree that Anderson and Villarial are no good, as well as Teague, Im just saying that Gandy has done well enough to start with a better supporting cast, rather than pay someone else more money who may or may not be slightly better.

ICE74129
03-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Gandy won't be cut. Moulds, Anderson and maybe Posey will be cut

patmoran2006
03-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Ice.. Your probably right..

I'm just all for spending my money on the line.. A better line makes every position around it better..

Damn, I wish we had more cap money!

ICE74129
03-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Ice.. Your probably right..

I'm just all for spending my money on the line.. A better line makes every position around it better..

Damn, I wish we had more cap money!

We will if we cut moulds and possibly a couple others.

Sportsuser101
03-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Gandy should say.

DraftBoy
03-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Well more cap money may not be as big of an issue this year, bc there wil be so few buyers come FA time with no new deal in place. So just having a good bit of cap room shoud play in our favor big time.