PDA

View Full Version : Maple Leafs make mockery of All Star Game

Earthquake Enyart
01-30-2003, 07:45 AM
Both Belfour and Sundin pull out of the All Star Game with injuries, yet both play last night with Sundin scoring twice and Belfour allowing only one goal. If you are too injured to play in the All Star Game, you shouldn't be allowed to play for your team.

don137
01-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Unfortunately these players forget that the all-star game is for the fans, the ones who pay there paychecks. It's just another example of high priced athletes forgetting about the fans. Players that make the all-star game and skip it should be fined heavily for there actions.

Tom D
01-30-2003, 08:16 AM
You can bet that these same players who have clauses in their contracts to collect a bonus if they make the All-Star squad will collect- whether they actually playin it or not

Rude American
01-30-2003, 08:31 AM
OH, ROLLING MY FREAKING EYES!!!!!!

There's a HUGE, MASSIVE, MONUMENTAL, ENORMOUS difference in playing a league game and the all-star game. Let's take a chance at doing some real damage when there's nothing on the line. Good idea. Not playing in the all-star game is puttign the FREAKING TEAM'S interests first, and that in turn is a reflection of the respect for the Leafs as an organization and its fans. Mats and Eddie are the Leafs marquee players right now and if they need a few days rest to recoup so they can come back 100% and help the team make a strong run at the cup, then great. I'd rather see that than either of them take the chance at doing some real damage in a nothing cause and then see them sit out for 15 games, or maybe even the rest of the season, for the sake of a few disgruntled no-mind hockey fans who've never even held a freaking stick. Good grief. Eggheads.

EE stirrin' the pot again. Nice job, bro. You even fooled a few people. Not this cat though.

LtBillsFan66
01-30-2003, 08:43 AM
I agree Rude.

Why don't they have the damn thing at the end of the season like football?

Numero2
01-30-2003, 08:46 AM
because then even less people will watch

Rude American
01-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Football is the perfect example of where a guy could suffer a career-ending injury all for nothing. But hey, who cares, right? It's all for the fans, because they're the ones "paying their paychecks."

lordofgun
01-30-2003, 09:04 AM
They shouldn't even play the pro bowl. Look what happened to Robert Edwards in the beach football game!

don137
01-30-2003, 09:08 AM
There is a difference in an all-star game then a regular season game? Wow, thanks for the update. I personally they should do away with the all-star game because it is a farce. Until they do I think it is a slap in the face to skip the game because it is the fans that pays their salaries. Those that do skip it should be fined heavily.

Let's face it, the Leafs will choke again in the playoffs so why should they have there players skip the all-star game anyway. Egghead.

lordofgun
01-30-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Rude American
Eggheads.

2 minutes unsportsmanlike

Originally posted by don137
Egghead.

2 minutes retaliation

:D

Ð
01-30-2003, 09:37 AM
That whole World vs N. America thing is BS. Ever since they instituted that, I rank the NHL all-star game as bush-league, a couple of notches below WWF.

Rude American
01-30-2003, 09:41 AM
They abandonned that concept for this year. It's E vs. W again.

Don, you must make an aweful lot of money if you pay the players' salaries. Are you an owner? Which team do you own?

Earthquake Enyart
01-30-2003, 09:53 AM
The All Star game is supposed to be the place where the best players in the game assemble in one place to generate fan interest. The Leafs don't care about the game. Hope they enjoy their nuclear winter in 2004.

Earthquake Enyart
01-30-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Rude American
OH, ROLLING MY FREAKING EYES!!!!!!

There's a HUGE, MASSIVE, MONUMENTAL, ENORMOUS difference in playing a league game and the all-star game. Let's take a chance at doing some real damage when there's nothing on the line. Good idea. Not playing in the all-star game is puttign the FREAKING TEAM'S interests first, and that in turn is a reflection of the respect for the Leafs as an organization and its fans. Mats and Eddie are the Leafs marquee players right now and if they need a few days rest to recoup so they can come back 100% and help the team make a strong run at the cup, then great. I'd rather see that than either of them take the chance at doing some real damage in a nothing cause and then see them sit out for 15 games, or maybe even the rest of the season, for the sake of a few disgruntled no-mind hockey fans who've never even held a freaking stick. Good grief. Eggheads.

EE stirrin' the pot again. Nice job, bro. You even fooled a few people. Not this cat though.

Using this logic, Rudy, you should boycott your all star game so you can give 110% for your team for the rest of the season.

I didn't know the Special Olympics had an all star game. All you special athetes are all stars in my book. :biggrin:

Dozerdog
01-30-2003, 10:25 AM
:rofl:

Ð
01-30-2003, 10:26 AM
So I guess Priest Holmes and all of the other players skipping the Pro Bowl don't care about "the game"

don137
01-30-2003, 10:40 AM
LOL LOG....

Rude, the salaries of the players are generated mostly through ticket revenue. Who buys tickets? It's not like football where TV revenue accounts for a big piece of the revenue of the team.

I feel players should show some appreciation to the fans. Maybe it can be done in other ways than an all-star game such as a exhibit/carnival with all the all-stars attending at the city hosting the annual draft. This way all cities are included. I just don't understand the difference between playing in the all-star game and players playing pick up hockey games with fellow players in the off season which is very common. Both risk injury so why do the players play in the off-season? I guess pick-up basketball games and all other athletic activity should be banned for athletes unless it's an official team practice or game.
Hockey is very taxing on the body. I think the league should give the players should get a week off during the season to rest there bodies.
As long as there is an all-star game I feel anyone that it is priveldged to be selected should show there appreciation by playing. They all should play or just do away with it and show there appreciation in other ways.

Earthquake Enyart
01-30-2003, 10:40 AM
You can't compare the Pro Bowl with the NHL game. The NHL game is one of the few games on free national TV in the US, played on a Sunday when nothing else is going on.

Ð
01-30-2003, 11:23 AM
The Leafs don't play Sunday games...

MissBuffalo
01-30-2003, 11:28 AM
I don't like the idea of having the NFL & NHL allstar games on the same day. It's just too much IMO.

Ð
01-30-2003, 11:33 AM
I guess they figured nobody watches either anyway, so why not team up ? ;)

Rude American
01-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Don,

Mats and Eddy playing their guts out and leading the Leafs into the playoffs is enough for me. The all-star game is meaningless.

Earthquake Enyart
01-30-2003, 12:08 PM
Face it, Canadian snobs, the money is in the US. You need to build the game in the US so the US can subsidize all the cow town teams in Canada. If you are going to sell the game, it would behoove you to have your best players at the one game that is nationally televised in the US.

If players pull out that aren't really injured, they should each be suspended for two games to make up for it. Then they can really rest up.

bduff54
01-30-2003, 12:08 PM
this post is ridiculous, i remember bruce smith skipping a pro-bowl in the early 90's was he a disgrace to the game?? Stop leaf hating and get over it.

Rude American
01-30-2003, 12:13 PM
EE is just having his fun. I'm sure he remember saying "Go Leafs Go!" a little while back.

And btw, he's also Canadian. Nothing will convince he's not.

:10:

Sabre Ally
01-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Hey, I'm disappointed that Mats pulled out, but at the same time......Miro gets to go because of it!! :party:

Ð
01-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I guess we're jaded. We can see Mats or Eddie every third night ;)

don137
01-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Bduff, nothing wrong with a friendly debate over dropping out of an all-star game. Rude thinks it is OK to drop out and not play where EE and I think as long as there is an NHL all-star game the players selected should not drop out. Debating is what these boards are for. If everyone had the same opinion these boards would be quite monotonous.

Earthquake Enyart
01-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Bduff, nothing wrong with a friendly debate over dropping out of an all-star game. Rude thinks it is OK to drop out and not play where EE and I think as long as there is an NHL all-star game the players selected should not drop out. Debating is what these boards are for. If everyone had the same opinion these boards would be quite monotonous.

That would be the range. If you don't agree, they ban you. :biggrin:

don137
01-30-2003, 01:12 PM
:lolcry:

BironsGirl43
01-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

I didn't know the Special Olympics had an all star game. All you special athetes are all stars in my book. :biggrin:

OMG!!!!!!!!!! That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.. lol... :chuckle: :hamrhed:

bduff54
01-30-2003, 04:38 PM
wow that is weak, why always bringing up the range?? lets talk hockey boys!

lordofgun
01-30-2003, 04:57 PM
I have an even better idea! Let's talk Lemieux!!!

bduff54
01-30-2003, 05:38 PM
lol, log. there is a lemieux tracker for that. you know that

Earthquake Enyart
01-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Yeah, LOG, ya goon.

Twistmyarm
01-30-2003, 06:31 PM
I only know two things

1.) I have never in all my years of watching the all star game seen a player get hurt during said game....(it's like a pick up game..with little or no hitting) so why play in a "real" game and skip the candy coated one?

2.) who cares Sundin is out..Satan is in!!!

ok three things

3.) screw the leafs!!!!!

Don Cherry
01-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Careful, ya just might come out of the closet somewhere!

Typ0
01-30-2003, 06:55 PM
Very well said in this thread Rude. The people in this thread whining crap about paying the players salaries are the same ones that would be praising Satan if he came out and said he has been getting too many minutes and he really wants to take the weekend off to help the team. If you don't like the All-Star games shut the hell up and don't watch them. Some players sit out every year for whatever reasons. What a bunch of whiners.

Ð
01-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Three words...

game's in Miami :D

bduff54
01-30-2003, 08:17 PM
thank you type O. it's the same with football, if moss skips he is a "all about himself" if moulds skips it he is "focusing on the bills" it is B.S.

don137
01-30-2003, 08:38 PM
I think you need to get your facts straight Typ0. Where in this thread did I state it is alright for players to skip an all-star game if they where a Buffalo player? So in all your intelligent wisdom you tell people to shut the hell up just because they voice an opinion different than yours. Apparently there are some people that can not have a rationale debate without getting offensive. I guess that what makes the world go around...

Ð
01-30-2003, 09:06 PM
Hey, how come nobody's raggin' on Mario for skipping the All Star Game?

Typ0
01-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Because Mario is a mama's boy and everyone knows it.

Ð
01-30-2003, 09:55 PM
Just like Bdoof

don137
01-31-2003, 06:40 AM
This thread was started because the Leafs had two players skipping the game. Please show where it states it is OK for Mario or a Buffalo player to skip the hockey all-star game. :scratch:

Earthquake Enyart
01-31-2003, 06:57 AM
If the All Star game was in Pittsburgh, I bet Mario would play.

lordofgun
01-31-2003, 08:40 AM
Mario skips half the season every year.

bduff54
01-31-2003, 09:28 AM
yeah and he scores more points than all the sabres combined.

lordofgun
01-31-2003, 09:30 AM
Mario could beat Domi up, that's for sure.

don137
01-31-2003, 09:44 AM
:chuckle:

Twistmyarm
02-02-2003, 07:37 PM
I have never in all my years of watching the all star game seen a player get hurt during said game

OK before anyone else catches it.....I stand corrected....thanks for making me look dumb Mr. Weight!!!! LOL!!!!

seriously though I hope he's OK.

great game though!!!! the one thing I don't understand is why when the first two shooters failed on deke shots and then the next two scored on "shooter" goals did Satan go for a deke shot? wasn't he watching what had been going on?

sumott
02-03-2003, 06:30 AM
Unfortunately these players forget that the all-star game is for the fans, the ones who pay there paychecks. It's just another example of high priced athletes forgetting about the fans. Players that make the all-star game and skip it should be fined heavily for there actions.

I consider myself a hockey fan, but I do not watch the "All Star Game". I do not consider it a hockey game. It is more show than anything else. With no checking or hitting, how can it be a hockey game?

lordofgun
02-03-2003, 10:21 AM
I agree, but for entertainment value, yesterday's game was perhaps the best all-star game in the history of all-star games. That was a lot of fun to watch.

They even played some defense. :eek:

Ð
02-03-2003, 12:23 PM
The all star game to hockey is what the WWF is to NCAA or Olympic-level wrestling.

Rude American
02-03-2003, 12:30 PM
All-star games from yesteryear were pretty good. They players had more intensity but didn't hit. Why can't the guys of today do that? Don't hit but at least put some effort into it.

The first two periods yesterday's game were slower than beginner rec-league games. Special thanks to JR for being the jerk who got it going.

lordofgun
02-03-2003, 12:45 PM
Maybe that's why I thought it was good. I only caught the third and OT.

Typ0
02-03-2003, 02:33 PM
You know why people complain about the ALL Star games? Because they are chronic complainers that's why and it's just another thing to ***** about. The All-Star games are about having fun and celebrating the sport. OHHHHHHHHH there is no hitting so it isn't really Hockey. Give me a break.

Ð
02-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Hockey's an intense, contact sport. Take the contact out & it has zero intensity. If I wanted to watch no-contact hockey I can go to my local rink & watch the 10 & under kids play.

BironsGirl43
02-03-2003, 06:15 PM
The All Star game was awesome!! One of the best.... ever!! :)

The goalies in the 3rd were awesome.. and what can you say about Heatley? Besides the fact that he's one ugly mofo.. he put on a show!!

Great game!

Sabre Ally
02-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Hey! He may be ugly, but I still say I love his smile. :finfan:

Typ0
02-03-2003, 08:21 PM
BigDoug I know what you are saying. I am just making the point the all star game is not really about that particular game it is about the accomplishments of the individual players and league. It's really more in line with being a big party than it is being a competetive game. It's a chance for guys to go out there and play against each other and just have fun because they aren't entrenched in a playoff race. It's about having a lot of neat little show off competitions for the kids. It's about letting the players hot dog some of their skills. It's just about having fun where the winner and loser doesn't really matter the only thing important is playing the game.

Unfortunatelly, there are too many fans that only see the grouping of some of the best players and expect a game at the level of stanley cup game seven because the competition is fierce. Then they blame the league because the game is watered down and actively lobby to not have the game at all because it is a farce. I would argue those people are missing the whole point of having the game in the first place. I also would argue any game can be competetive no matter how it is structured as long as both sides in the competition play by the same rules. Complain all you want I thought the game was excellent yesterday I really enjoyed watching it (I always felt the NHL allstar game was the best one anyway). It was also excellent not because of the type of competition but because of the competetiveness of the individuals.

Typ0
02-03-2003, 08:24 PM
If you want a competetive all-star show check out The Winston it has a great format and is take no prisoners.

Ð
02-03-2003, 08:28 PM
If I want a big party, I can go to the pub. It has nothing to do with kids if the ticket prices are $50 ++++.

It's a suck-ass game, an embarassment to the game of hockey, no matter how you slice it.

Typ0
02-03-2003, 08:36 PM
I have never been to the All-Star game but I bet there are plenty of opportunities to do something for kids on Saturday and Sunday without having to pay the $50 for admission which is pretty consistent with tickets to any other NHL game anyway. Plus there are a lot of things on television to pump the kids up to root for their favorite players--and get them hooked into being future ticket buyers.

It's only a suck ass game when you are doing the slicing BigDoug everyone doesn't see it that way.

Here's more of a reality:

No matter how you slice it, a suck ass hockey game is better than the World Series.

:)

Ð
02-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Yup, 1.8 % of the American public agree with you
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/martzke/2003-01-30-martzke_x.htm

They should kill it ASAP. It's like flogging a dead horse. The players know it, the fans know it....

On baseball you're preaching to the converted. Since the mid-90's strike, baseball sucks major ass & I used to be a huge fan.

& don't get me started about Nascar.

Typ0
02-03-2003, 09:03 PM
BigDoug are you studying the WYS Wings methodology or something? Seems to me that article is about the lack of fans for the NHL in general can you show me where it says 98.2 % of the american public love the NHL but when it comes to the All-Star game they tune out because it sucks ass?

Ð
02-03-2003, 10:14 PM
No those were the US TV ratings that proves it sucks ass.

The numbers were probably even lower in Canada.

Typ0
02-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Yeah it says the All-Star game ratings have fallen 33% and the Stanley Cup finals ratings have falen 43%.

It looks to me like the article is saying the public thinks the NHL sucks ass not the All-Star game. Like I said BigDoug I'm very impressed with your movement down the wys wings statistical learning curve you've really learned how to manipulate the numbers to poorly support one of your opinions.

Ð
02-04-2003, 12:33 PM
When the All Star Game begins to resemble the game of hockey, then I'll be interested. As I said before, it more closely resembles WWF Wrestling and is a joke in my eyes.

They might as well call a hockey team The Mighty Ducks. ;)

Typ0
02-04-2003, 12:41 PM
That's fine and it's your opinion. Just don't make contrived assertions trying to support your opinions it really destroys your credibility with any reasonable people. I'm sure the Branch Wys Onians would be glad to have you over for cheese and crackers though ;).

Ð
02-04-2003, 12:48 PM
Credibility? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

You must have the wrong guy ;)

Typ0
02-04-2003, 12:49 PM
Oh yeah...I forgot you have to have some to ruin it...LOL

Ð
02-04-2003, 12:51 PM
I'm just shilling for ZoneBucks. EE & I split the take on these threads & enjoy watching people actually take them seriously. ;)

Earthquake Enyart
02-04-2003, 01:01 PM
:snicker:

The Gannon singlehandedy lost the Super Bowl is my personal favorite. For obvious reasons.

Ð
02-04-2003, 01:11 PM
Nice racket ;)

Sabre Ally
02-04-2003, 08:13 PM
And to think you guys are actually making money at the same time you're posting all day :shakeno:

Earthquake Enyart
02-05-2003, 08:44 AM
:ontome:

Rude American
02-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Ally, you don't understand. I actually get paid to post.

Sabre Ally
02-05-2003, 06:47 PM
:laughter: Is your employer hiring?

Typ0
02-05-2003, 08:27 PM
He makes drugs.

bduff54
02-05-2003, 10:09 PM
now do you see why they sat out??? 6-0 leafs!

Ð
02-05-2003, 10:13 PM
The funny thing is tonight's game was in Miami...they wouldn't have even had to travel :evil: