• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Article: Bills have plans for Lebeau

BILLS HAVE PLANS FOR LEBEAU

A league source tells us that the Buffalo Bills are interested in adding Dick LeBeau to the coaching staff due in large part to the fact that they view him as a potential replacement for current defensive coordinator Jerry Gray.

MORE
  • BillsNYC
    Man of the People
    • Jul 2002

hmm..interesting...
    Thank you.

Comment

• Wys Guy
      Drew and Sam stole all my hair
      • Jul 2002

OH BOY! I can't wait. A losing coach here in Buffalo. Just maybe he can do for the Bills what he did for Cincy.

If we can load the roster like he had when he arrived in Pittsburgh, then maybe he'll lead us to the 9th ranked D when they should be the 3rd.

Gosh, I'm excited...

Another TD buddy move IMO. What on earth leads anyone to think this guy's a model of success is beyond me.
      Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

his article has to give Gray a noise warm fuzzy feeling inside...

Comment

• kgun12
          • Jul 2002

Wys your critizism of lebeau is justified IF you look at only his time as the head coach of the worst run orginization maybe in sports. But if you look at his overall career ie Pitts DC than there is know justification for it.

As far as the body system goes, Besides Modrack who has he brought in in your our orginization that 1. you would get rid of 2. that stayed with the team that shound not have. This crap about GW and TD bring in players, coaches and management is just that crap. This goes for J. Gray also, no he my not have been ready to be a DC, BUT he hasn't had much to work with. I dought anybody would have been able to do any better with what was here to work with, BUT he did make improvement to this group anyway.

BTW, EVERYONE IN THE LEAGUE BRING IN THEIR "OWN PEOPLE" live with it. Who followed Parcells EVERYWHERE he went except to Dallas! C. Knox bought his "own people" when he came here. Levy brought in his "own people" when he came here and on an on. It's a fact of life in the NFL!
          Retired Air Traffic Controller
          USAF VETERAN
          DAV

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
            Legendary Zoner
            • Jul 2002

Other than Robinson, I have no problem with anything TD has done. LeBeau would be a solid addition, and hopefully would start moving us away from the Jeff Fisher / Buddy Ryan 46, that the guys we have can't play, to more conventional defenses, even a 3-4.

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

As much as I hate Wade Phillips I'll admit the guy is a great DC...some people aren't cut out to be head coaches...add that to the fact that Cincy is the worst organization in all of sports and you have a recipe for disaster.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kgun12
                Wys your critizism of lebeau is justified IF you look at only his time as the head coach of the worst run orginization maybe in sports. But if you look at his overall career ie Pitts DC than there is know justification for it.
                Absolutely untrue. First of all he was the D.C. for only two seasons in Pittsburgh and he had everything short of a perfect defense practically handed to him. Go look at the defensive roster for those two seasons. Any monkey could have made that D good. Again, that was only two seasons.

He was the D.C. in Cincy for 8 seasons and then the H.C. for another what, 2 1/2?

His defenses were horrible in Cincy and often got worse while he was there.

There's really nothing in his dossier that says "success" let alone screams it out. It's been rumored that Donahoe likes LeBeau from his time in Pittsburgh and several other pieces said that TD might even hire him b/c he doesn't think LeBeau should be unemployed.

Bottom line however is that the only time he had a good D was when he was handed one of the best collection of players in the '90s on defense. A good D.C. will do more with less, not less with more or nothing w/ little. He did nothing in Cincy, and if I'm not mistaken, his Ds were ranked in the bottom of the league under his what, 10, 12 seasons as the D.C./H.C. for the Bengals.

Again, I'm not writing home to say that us acquiring him is gonna put a SB D on the field.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                  • Jul 2002

Here's the facts on LeBeau from a post that I made earlier in another thread:

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                  First some facts:

Dick Lebeau

D.C. Cincy from 1984-1991
                  D.C. Pitts from 1995-1996
                  D.C./Asst. H.C. Cincy: 1997-2000
                  H.C. Cincy: 2001-2002

D status:

1984: Ranked 16th of 28 in scoring D
                  1985: Ranked 26th of 28 in scoring D
                  1986: Ranked 23rd of 28 in scoring D
                  1987: Ranked 24th of 28 in scoring D
                  1988: Ranked 16th of 28 in scoring D
                  1989: Ranked 7th of 28 in scoring D
                  1990: Ranked 19th of 28 in scoring D
                  1991: Ranked 28th of 28 in scoring D

1995: Ranked 9th of 30 in Scoring D
                  1996: Tied for 4th of 30 in Scoring D

1997: Ranked 27th of 30 in Scoring D
                  1998: Ranked 30th of 30 in Scoring D
                  1999: Ranked 30th of 30 in Scoring D
                  2000: Ranked 20th of 30 in Scoring D

H.C.
                  2001: Team 6-10; 30th ranked Scoring O; 14th ranked scoring D
                  2002: Team 2-14; 32nd (of 32) ranked scoring D; 28th ranked scoring O

Avg. rank of Scoring D while D.C.: 20th
                  Seasons in D top 10: 3; two of which were on teams w/ defensive talent handed to him on a silver platter
                  Seasons in bottom 10: 8

Record as head coach in full seasons: 8-24

Other points of note:

Link to Bills: LeBeau was the D.C. in Pittsburgh while Donahoe was there.

My entire viewpoint will be based on the above.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Using your stats I have to ask this question:

Based on the fact that he succeed in his only 2 years with a good organization yet failed when employed by a bad organization is your implication that he'll fail here based on your persception that the Bills are a bad organization?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Another TD buddy move IMO. What on earth leads anyone to think this guy's a model of success is beyond me.
                      TD says he's the best tic tac toe (sp) player.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• kgun12
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                        Using your stats I have to ask this question:

Based on the fact that he succeed in his only 2 years with a good organization yet failed when employed by a bad organization is your implication that he'll fail here based on your persception that the Bills are a bad organization?
                        Eb don't use all the facts. Than it doesn't help Wys arguement.

BTW is Wys really Chuck Dickerson, if so I thought impostures were not aloud.
                        Retired Air Traffic Controller
                        USAF VETERAN
                        DAV

Comment

• pmoon6
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Dec 2002

OH BOY! I can't wait. A losing coach here in Buffalo. Just maybe he can do for the Bills what he did for Cincy.

If we can load the roster like he had when he arrived in Pittsburgh, then maybe he'll lead us to the 9th ranked D when they should be the 3rd.

Gosh, I'm excited...

Bill Bellichek was basically run out of Cleveland and mocked by the fans and media. What happened to him? Lebeau is a good defensive mind. He may not be a good HEAD coach, but his resume got him the Cincy job. If Marvin Lewis lays an egg with Cincy would that turn him into a ****ty coach too?

Comment

• RedEyE
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by don137
                            his article has to give Gray a noise warm fuzzy feeling inside...
                            No doubt. If the article holds any truth then I'd have to say that I disagree with the way TD is handling the situation. It's really not fair to Gray to have LeBeau salavating over his shoulder waiting for him to screw up. In my opinion, TD should either "piss or get of the pot.
                            Last edited by RedEyE; 01-30-2003, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                              • Aug 2002

I have to wonder about anything leaked to the public. There will be speculation as to why the Bills would bring in LeBeau and one point is to replace Gray. If enough people believe this to be true or are in agreeance with the thought of this move, then it gets spread around as truth. It COULD be the real reason, but until the Bills start losing games and it becomes a reality it is just speculation, just like KG being brought in in case GW flops and a smooth transition is needed. It's the slow time, and people have too much time to think and post or write it in a column because nothing of significance is going on at that time!!!!!!!

Wys,
                              As far as the "Rumor" about TD feeling LeBeau shouldn't be unemployed, why was Pitt after him again and where did YOU hear these rumors and why are you posting them without first hand knowledge if they are fact or fiction. Maybe because people will think it truth and side with you and your stat's? See point above
                              I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X