PDA

View Full Version : the ryan pickett bandwagon

djjimkelly
03-07-2006, 09:20 AM
im about to hitch my trailer to the ryan picket bandwagon as a ket free agent i would like the bills to sign. as the market for DT's had been set with the signing or laroi glover for about a 4 mil per year avg. i think we get go get picket for a little less then that maybe 3 per year.

check out this guys numbers.

DEFENSIVE STATS

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
2001 St. Louis Rams 11 19 10.0 9 0.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 0
2002 St. Louis Rams 16 67 45.0 22 0.5 0 0 0.0 0 0 4
2003 St. Louis Rams 16 42 30.0 12 1 0 0 0.0 0 0 3
2004 St. Louis Rams 16 45 41.0 4 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 2
2005 St. Louis Rams 16 65 47.0 18 2 0 0 0.0 0 0 3
TOTAL 75 238 173.0 65 6 0 0 0.0 0 0 12

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235235

he is a tackle making machine and seems to be arounf the ball all the time. and there is no way anyone can argue these tackles are down field hes a DT.

i think this would be a great fit and solid pickup!!!

ryjam282
03-07-2006, 09:27 AM
I agree, I have liked him for some time now. I drafted in our own BZFL and he is really producing. I think he would be a great fit for us. A young, athletic DT with decent speed.

BULLDOG53
03-07-2006, 09:31 AM
I like the idea of Pickett if we can get him at a decent price, he would be a good fit for the 4-3 defense Jauron likes to run. It would also be a good idea to get a top pass rusher, Via trade or Draft.

patmoran2006
03-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Granted health is a big issue...

But lets see.. Pickett = 5 years.75 games. 6 sacks.. 1 forced fumble. ($3 million maybe more to sign)

Ron Edwards.. = 5 years, 48 games, 7 sacks, 3 forced fumbles (half of Pickett's price)

I'll give you Pickett's a more established run stopper, but is he $2 million a year better?

Save the $2 million.. Resign Edwards, make sure he stays healthy, draft a DT 1st and use the cash saved on the OL, which needs it most.

gr8slayer
03-07-2006, 09:51 AM
I dont know. Im just not all that impressed with the guy.

djjimkelly
03-07-2006, 09:52 AM
i dont really need a DT to be a sack machine i need him to stuff the middle pickett has shown he does this. how bout this for a plan for DT on bills.

resign ron edwards
sign ryan pickett.

2nd round DT. one of the big DT's i truly believe there are like 8 very solid DT's in this draft i could live with an orien harris or dusty dvorchek in second round.

how key would 3 real DT's been last year!

patmoran2006
03-07-2006, 09:56 AM
DJ
I would like that plan a lot better.. However, I think they absolutely need to go guard in the second round. .There are three starting guards in this draft, we need one of them.

Then u can use that first rounder on Huff.. Or maybe trade down pick another pick (which could be a DT) and take Justice, the 2nd best Tackle in draft.

Pickett and Edwards wouldn't break the bank.. I guess you have to rely on Tim Anderson continuing to develop as the backup

SpanishBill
03-07-2006, 10:49 AM
... I guess you have to rely on Tim Anderson continuing to develop as the backup
You lost me just right there, with the Anderson 'developing' thingie :D

Now seriously, is really Anderson getting any better? I mean, I just watched three Bills games last year and don't remeber any play from him... :idunno:

casdhf
03-07-2006, 12:19 PM
I thought he did descent. He seemed to actually get some penetration late in the season.

TigerJ
03-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Well, Tim Anderson didn't even play in his rookie season, at least not to any significant extent. One has to conclude he did play a little better. He may have some more upside too, But on the whole you have to say he's a disappointment. The thought of having to count on him to make plays makes me very nervous. With the loss of Sam Adams, I think the Bills have to pick up a decent DT from somewhere even if they do re-sign Ron Edwards (to which I'm not opposed).

Lavale Sape might be more suited to the kind of offence the Bills apparently want to run than the offence Jerry Gray was running. I doubt Bannan is athletic enough to ever do any more than he's done, take up space.

ICE74129
03-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Granted health is a big issue...

But lets see.. Pickett = 5 years.75 games. 6 sacks.. 1 forced fumble. ($3 million maybe more to sign)

Ron Edwards.. = 5 years, 48 games, 7 sacks, 3 forced fumbles (half of Pickett's price)

I'll give you Pickett's a more established run stopper, but is he $2 million a year better?

Save the $2 million.. Resign Edwards, make sure he stays healthy, draft a DT 1st and use the cash saved on the OL, which needs it most.

Bottom line Edwards can't stay healthy and did pretty much nothing while in there this year.

SpanishBill
03-07-2006, 01:18 PM
I thought he did descent. He seemed to actually get some penetration late in the season.
Darn! I only watched some Bills games in the first half of the season... :(

SpanishBill
03-07-2006, 01:30 PM
One has to conclude he did play a little better. He may have some more upside too, But on the whole you have to say he's a disappointment. The thought of having to count on him to make plays makes me very nervous. With the loss of Sam Adams, I think the Bills have to pick up a decent DT from somewhere even if they do re-sign Ron Edwards (to which I'm not opposed).
I thought so, that he was not that good I mean.

I remember that the previous coaching staff was very high on him in preseason, even saying that him and Edwards could cover the hole left by Fat Pat, and blah, blah, blah... Now that makes me nervous! :D

And I agree the Bills need help at DT, but I think that not only one player but at least two (in FA or draft). You just can't rely on Edwards health...

patmoran2006
03-07-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm not implying to resign Edwards as our top DT guy.. I said to add a top guy, either through FA or the draft and sign Edwards as the #2..

we have too many other needs to pay BIG money to a pair of DT's is my point.

SpanishBill
03-07-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm not implying to resign Edwards as our top DT guy.. I said to add a top guy, either through FA or the draft and sign Edwards as the #2..

we have too many other needs to pay BIG money to a pair of DT's is my point.
Yeah, you're right, we have other needs, but if I'm not mistaken last years plan was to have Adams as #1 and Edwards as #2 (with Anderson and Bannan right after them) and it didn't work out. People run over us all the time last year... :(

DraftBoy
03-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Sign Lewis (who can get to the QB) and Pickett, along with re-signing Ron, that way we have a decent if not good 3 man DT rotation. Let Anderson go or "develop" I guess, but Id rather Jefferson do that. Save the 2nd round pick for an OG or DB.

patmoran2006
03-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Draft. Signing the 2 Rams and Edwards would cost at least $8 million.. You're willing to throw that out for defensive tackle?

Tatonka
03-07-2006, 06:27 PM
we need 2 top dts so we dont get trained on like a cheap hooker again this year.

DraftBoy
03-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Draft. Signing the 2 Rams and Edwards would cost at least $8 million.. You're willing to throw that out for defensive tackle?

Your damn right I am, have you seen this DT class. Not only is it bottom of the barrel compared to past years if you guys want a realistic shot this year we need DT's ready now not in 3 seasons.

djjimkelly
03-13-2006, 10:28 AM
i just had to revisit this bandwagon lets all jump on quick becuz i feel the signing coming down very soon!!!! sign him marv after seeing ngata in his bowl game we dont want that guy!!!!!

Michael82
03-13-2006, 12:02 PM
i just had to revisit this bandwagon lets all jump on quick becuz i feel the signing coming down very soon!!!! sign him marv after seeing ngata in his bowl game we dont want that guy!!!!!
:pray:

Kerr
03-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Don't mind Pickett. I just don't want the team to overpay for him while they could get someone cheaper like R. Davis.

ublinkwescore
03-13-2006, 12:19 PM

I didn't pay attention to Ngata at all, but I do agree with Draftboy to an extent - I don't really think we need to draft Ngata now - let the Browns have him for all I care, I'd rather have Hali compete with Schoebel for the RDE position, and the loser gets moved to LDE, and Kelsay and Denney can rotate in to give them breathers on running downs late in the game.

ublinkwescore
03-13-2006, 12:19 PM
That being said, I too, am on the Pickett bandwagon.

ublinkwescore
03-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Bump...

Philagape
03-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Age 26, 330 pounds and NFL-leading tackler .... I'm in :bandwagon

BuffaloBillsStampede
03-14-2006, 09:05 AM
If we sign Pickett do you think we still take Ngata or do we wait till second round and take someone like Gabe Watson who certainly will clog the middle with his fat ass.

ublinkwescore
03-14-2006, 10:10 AM
If we sign Pickett do you think we still take Ngata or do we wait till second round and take someone like Gabe Watson who certainly will clog the middle with his fat ass.

I'm down with that - as long as we trade down with our first (hopefully just far enough to get Hali) and get some OL help if we don't sign anyone in FA.

mysticsoto
03-14-2006, 10:30 AM
I didn't pay attention to Ngata at all, but I do agree with Draftboy to an extent - I don't really think we need to draft Ngata now - let the Browns have him for all I care, I'd rather have Hali compete with Schoebel for the RDE position, and the loser gets moved to LDE, and Kelsay and Denney can rotate in to give them breathers on running downs late in the game.

If the Browns get Ngata to fall to them, they will be a fantastic team next year. Between Ted Washington and Ngata, nobody is going to be running on them - atleast not between the tackles. And with the rest of the weapons they've obtained in FA (not to mention the rest of the draft) they will definitely be a team on the rise!!!

ublinkwescore
03-14-2006, 11:00 AM
If the Browns get Ngata to fall to them, they will be a fantastic team next year. Between Ted Washington and Ngata, nobody is going to be running on them - atleast not between the tackles. And with the rest of the weapons they've obtained in FA (not to mention the rest of the draft) they will definitely be a team on the rise!!!

Let them build up their D - Our D really only needed help on the D-line, I'm more concerned with the OL after we grab Pickett (:pray:), and maybe Hali, I want nothing but Guards and a center. I'd be happy with Reggie Wells - at least if he has Marv convinced anyways.

ublinkwescore
03-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Ted Washington isn't getting any younger, I think we'll start to see him having trouble staying healthy all year long, and he'll be needing more and more breathers to be effective.

mysticsoto
03-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Ted Washington isn't getting any younger, I think we'll start to see him having trouble staying healthy all year long, and he'll be needing more and more breathers to be effective.

No disagreements there. But for now, that's a great pickup for them...for the short term.