PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Notes/Draft Plan/Free Agency

BuffaloBlakely14
03-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Rd 1
Michael Huff Texas
Jimmy Williams VA Tech
Vernon Davis Maryland

*Should go without saying that if there is anyway in the world that we can get DaBrick I think that is the number 1 option.

*Vernon Davis is the best TE prospect to come out in over a decade I would think and could completely revolutionize our offense...with him and Everett our team would be very tough to cover...I think we should retain Josh Reed and give him one more chance (I have seen him listed on many sites as a Free Agent to take a chance on for other teams)

*Huff and Williams are both great S/CB prospects that would give us great options in the secondary, both are tremebdous playmakers with blazing speed and the ability to deliver a thundering blow. The only knock on Williams is about attitude. As a lifelong Hokie I know for a fact this kid is someone you want on your team, he came back for his senior year, when he would have been the number 1 corner last year in the draft just for a shot at the national title, and then the getting thrown out of the Bowl game this year was bogus, he barely touched the ref, and it was more incidental then anything if you watched the replay, and was a clear overreaction by the ref.

Rd 2
DT Claude Wroten LSU

*I think after reading several write ups about this guy, he is exactly what Jurons/Fewells defense calls for from their DT's. Every write up I read says how he is a gap pentrator that flys to the ball, and delivers great pressure, but is somewhat undersized to eat up blocks. That is word for word what Marv and Dick have said that they want from their DTs. He is our man, and with him most likely available in the gives us 1st round options.

*I think along with attempting to sign one of the Rams DT or Rocky Bernard from Seattle, and resigning Ron Edwards we would then be set up front.

Rd 3

*I think this clearly where we go with the two best OL prospects left on the board.

*Ideally I would like to see

Daryn Colledge Bosie State OR Jeremy Trueblood Boston College

or

Max-Jean Giles Georgia (Pretty far stretch he will still available)

Other players to consider
A) Flyer on a QB like Omar Jacobs
B) WR option like Mike Haas Oregon State
C) Best LB available

*Not going to go past Round 3, basically a crap shoot after that

Free Agency

1) DT needs to be addressed

*Rocky Bernard is the first choice - also the type of DT for our new system
*Either of the Rams DTs are the second choice

2) OLine help his needed

*Realistic first choice should defintiely be Kevin Scaheffer from Atlanta. Many sources have him pegged to be on the verge of becoming a perennial Pro Bowler, and should be within our spending limitations.

3) WR Help

*Antonio Bryant is only 24 and had a breakout year last year, should be highly considered to star opposite Lee Evans. Was once considered a sure star in the NFL coming out of Pittsburgh.

4) Safety Help

*Tank Williams Tennessee
-Realistically he should be the number one option the Bills pursue at Safety, Chris Hope is nice but is really not that much of an upgrade for the payday that he is sure to demand. Tank is a 4 year starter in Tennesse and young, should be a great option in Juron's Cover 2.

casdhf
03-07-2006, 11:46 AM
you sure Bryant is only 24?

BuffaloBlakely14
03-07-2006, 11:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5949

25 on Thursday

gr8slayer
03-07-2006, 11:48 AM
I think Antonio Bryant is ready to really break out of his shell. There is not a young WR with more upside than this guy. He just needs some good coaching.

kgun12
03-07-2006, 01:55 PM
I can agree with taking Davis only and I mean only if we address the o line in Fa. If we don't then I would like to see us trade down get an extra early pick. I think both Daryn Colledge Jeremy Trueblood will be there in the 3rd round for us. If we can't find someone to trade in the 1st I wouldn't mind taking Williams here.

patmoran2006
03-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Good points.. with the exception of Tank Williams.

Williams not not be a worse fit for a cover two.. He's a guy who's very much like a younger Milloy.. If we're going to implement this defense we need strong cover people at safety.

For his age and "declining" ability. Troy Vincent is actuallya perfect fit for what we're going to try to do.

I also tend to disagree about Rocky Bernard.. I think some team will grossly over pay him.. From what I have heard and read, the guy had an outstanding year statistically but tends to take plays off and play weak in the later part of games.. If we're going to spend that ballpark of money on a DT, I'd much rather have a multi-proven vet like grady Jackson, who still has gas left in the tank and is much more agile than Adams was.

Then again, if we're not taking Vernon Davis (I hope we do) in the draft, I stand alone on this board (at this point) in saying Broderick Bunkley should be our top pick.

eyedog
03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
I gotta say Blakely I'm glad your not our gm. The only move I like is Wroten in the 2nd. And I don't care how much weed Wroten smokes, he's a player.

ICE74129
03-07-2006, 02:52 PM
We take Huff and we are fugged beyond belief! LINES LINES and more LINES! Hell even V davis is 'on the line' so to speak.

We would have to sign Two DT's, a SS, #2 WR, LG and maybe Center in FA before we could even THINK about Huff. Even then I go V Davis before huff any day. If davis isn't there I trade down.

mikemac2001
03-07-2006, 02:59 PM
We should see what we get with the free agents and go for there. Hard to really say get this without knowing what we get in free agency

BuffaloBlakely14
03-07-2006, 03:18 PM
I gotta say Blakely I'm glad your not our gm. The only move I like is Wroten in the 2nd. And I don't care how much weed Wroten smokes, he's a player.

Great commentary...I am assuming you dont like any of the free agency moves because you have never heard of any of these players on ESPN, but by all means please elaborate what about this you do not like.

As to addressing the line, please tell me who on either line is worth taking at 8. Nagata isnt a Perry Fewell type DT, trade down and take Broderick Bunkley, I can see that, but you dont pass up a chance to take a game changer like Davis.

I should have made it clear that my first choice is Vernon Davis, not Huff or Jimmy Williams. Also Da Brick is a no brainer if he is available, just figure there is ) chance of that.

mikemac2001
03-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Great commentary...I am assuming you dont like any of the free agency moves because you have never heard of any of these players on ESPN, .

haha

kgun12
03-07-2006, 03:30 PM
If we do not address all the needs on this team in FA, Davis in the first round is laughable, really laughable! No kidding in all seriousness. A 5-11 team with more hole then swiis cheese takes with the 8th overall pick a TE, come on this is silly. I have said it before and I will again, there has never been a TE that has taken a 5-11 team and has made them a playoff team, never! Even a couple of years down the road, you will never hear a football commentator say, well Jim the Bills really started turning things around 2 years when the drafted that TE. If we address the o line and/or d line and/or our DB's needs then ok draft a TE if not this is crazy!!!

BuffaloBlakely14
03-07-2006, 03:34 PM
If you think that the San Diego Chargers arent where they are because of Antonio Gates then you are carzy.

I know LT is the main producer on that team, but all you have to do is look at the year before when LT had pretty much the same numbers that he had the past two years, and they didnt have Gates, and they were picking first in the draft. They get Gates, now they are spreading the field, opening up things for LT, and winning games.

Im not saying he will solve all our problems, I am saying that we address the other needs as well.

You act like a player taken anywhere else but in ROund 1 is no good.

Tell me who you think we should take at #8, and which OLineman or DLineman is worth it, besides DaBrick.

kgun12
03-07-2006, 03:38 PM
If you think that the San Diego Chargers arent where they are because of Antonio Gates then you are carzy.

I know LT is the main producer on that team, but all you have to do is look at the year before when LT had pretty much the same numbers that he had the past two years, and they didnt have Gates, and they were picking first in the draft. They get Gates, now they are spreading the field, opening up things for LT, and winning games.

Im not saying he will solve all our problems, I am saying that we address the other needs as well.

You act like a player taken anywhere else but in ROund 1 is no good.

Tell me who you think we should take at #8, and which OLineman or DLineman is worth it, besides DaBrick.

They picked up some FA help for there line got LT and oh BTW got Gates from a shipping company, not a 1st round pick . Also could you tell me how there playoff went with there stud TE?

BuffaloBlakely14
03-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I also said we should address the line in FA if you read the entire post, I definitely agree that we need to address the line in both FA and the draft. There is no line changing player available at 8 that we should take. A trade down maybe, but not at 8.

Once again I ask your opinon who you woud take.

I never once said that Gates was a number one choice, I said how he changed the team and gave them better options and was the reason for success, and to prove what a star TE can do for you. If you think you can just dig up a TE from anywhere, that is a very rare case of a team taking a chance and getting luck. Getting to the playoffs is better than where we were. They had the toughest schedule in the league last year, and lost the one game that he didnt play in.

But I appreciate you making my point for me.

As a matter of fact prior to getting Gates, LT had better numbers than he did the past two years. And they were picking number one in the draft.

kgun12
03-07-2006, 03:59 PM
I also said we should address the line in FA if you read the entire post, I definitely agree that we need to address the line in both FA and the draft. There is no line changing player available at 8 that we should take. A trade down maybe, but not at 8.

Once again I ask your opinon who you woud take.

I never once said that Gates was a number one choice, I said how he changed the team and gave them better options and was the reason for success, and to prove what a star TE can do for you. If you think you can just dig up a TE from anywhere, that is a very rare case of a team taking a chance and getting luck. Getting to the playoffs is better than where we were. They had the toughest schedule in the league last year, and lost the one game that he didnt play in.

But I appreciate you making my point for me.

As a matter of fact prior to getting Gates, LT had better numbers than he did the past two years. And they were picking number one in the draft.

I have said before i would trade down if there wasn't a stud at OL/DL/DB. But I won't take a TE. We NEVER had a TE the caliber of Gates, Shockey or Gonzalus on the 4 teams that went to the SB and BTW either have there teams. Why cause it isn't that big of a deal. My point about Gates being a package boy is he wasn't even drafted let alone in the 1st round, and I don't think Gonzo was either? I made no such point for you.

You need to show me how the TE position has made an impact on football it's history, like the fowad pass, shotgun, or what ever.

As far as LT's #'s being better before Gates thank you for making my point. Also don't you think picking 1st in every round and getting quality players there has helped them become a good team. It sure help Cinncy! BTW neither one of those teams picked a TE in the first round. TE in the top 15 in my opinion is the biggest waste a team could make. Tell me one team in the 40 year history that has won or even be in the SB will bad OL/DL's or had a great TE. I'll help NONE!

BuffaloBlakely14
03-07-2006, 04:09 PM
For the THIRD TIME now I have said to address and fix both the DL and OL...through both FA and the draft.

As a matter of fact I said that we should address the DL and the OL with 3 out of first 4 picks, and also they should be addressed with our first Free Agency moves.

So in summary I said we should devote one second rd both third round picks, and also at the very least two free agency moves to addressing the OL/DL. I said we should spend our first pick on either Huff or Davis.

I have also said that I would take DaBrick first no question if there was someway to do it.

It seems therefore to me that I am placing heavy emphasis on fixing the lines. Im not sure what you are arguing with me about.

Oh yeah and Tony Gonzalez was the #13 pick overall in the first round of the 1997 draft.

DraftBoy
03-07-2006, 04:11 PM
We take Huff and we are fugged beyond belief! LINES LINES and more LINES! Hell even V davis is 'on the line' so to speak.

We would have to sign Two DT's, a SS, #2 WR, LG and maybe Center in FA before we could even THINK about Huff. Even then I go V Davis before huff any day. If davis isn't there I trade down.

Do you read what your write before you write it? Huff is a SS, I dont know why you cant seem to understand that. We have a C in Preston who McNally is apparently set on. Also We just signed both Villari and Anderson what in the hell in a G deep draft makes you think we would waste pecious cap space on one? As of this moment we have a #2 WR in Lee Evans and until Moulds is cut, if he is, then we have no need for a #2. How can you justify the picking of Davis when we just picked Everett last year? I dont know about you, but I prefer this team no get into the business of throwing away picks. Not only would the pick of Huff be the right pick bc he could immediately start at SS and play CB next year if needed but its also the smart pick. Davis while may have tons of talent is not a good pick.

BuffaloBlakely14
03-07-2006, 04:18 PM
TEs Drafted in the First Round since 1997

1997 Draft

Tony Gonzalez #14 FIRST ROUND - Kansas City Chiefs

2000 Draft

Bubba Franks was the #14 overall pick by the Pack in the FIRST ROUND
Anthony Becht was the #27 overall pick by the Jets in the FIRST ROUND

2001 Draft

Todd Heap was the #31 overall pick by the Ravens in the FIRST ROUND

2002 Draft

Jereamy Stevens #28 overall pick by the Seahwaks

2003 Draft

Dallas Clark #24 overall pick by the Colts

2004 Draft

Kellen Winslow #8 overall Pick by the Browns
Ben Watson #32 overall pick by the Patriots

2005 Draft

Heath Miller #30 overall pick by the Steelers

Everyone of those guys are big contributors to their teams success except for Kellen Winslow and Anthony Becht. That is a pretty good success rate for first round TEs.

BuffaloBlakely14
03-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Do you read what your write before you write it? Huff is a SS, I dont know why you cant seem to understand that. We have a C in Preston who McNally is apparently set on. Also We just signed both Villari and Anderson what in the hell in a G deep draft makes you think we would waste pecious cap space on one? As of this moment we have a #2 WR in Lee Evans and until Moulds is cut, if he is, then we have no need for a #2. How can you justify the picking of Davis when we just picked Everett last year? I dont know about you, but I prefer this team no get into the business of throwing away picks. Not only would the pick of Huff be the right pick bc he could immediately start at SS and play CB next year if needed but its also the smart pick. Davis while may have tons of talent is not a good pick.

Great post Draftboy, while I do like and advocate the pick of Vernon over Huff, I would be happy with Huff, and like the options he would give us.

Bmax
03-07-2006, 05:50 PM
BRYANT AND WROTEN NO THANKS.. TO MANY ISSUES WITH THOSE GUYS ....

BMAX

kgun12
03-07-2006, 06:11 PM
TEs Drafted in the First Round since 1997

1997 Draft

Tony Gonzalez #14 FIRST ROUND - Kansas City Chiefs

2000 Draft

Bubba Franks was the #14 overall pick by the Pack in the FIRST ROUND
Anthony Becht was the #27 overall pick by the Jets in the FIRST ROUND

2001 Draft

Todd Heap was the #31 overall pick by the Ravens in the FIRST ROUND

2002 Draft

Jereamy Stevens #28 overall pick by the Seahwaks

2003 Draft

Dallas Clark #24 overall pick by the Colts

2004 Draft

Kellen Winslow #8 overall Pick by the Browns
Ben Watson #32 overall pick by the Patriots

2005 Draft

Heath Miller #30 overall pick by the Steelers

Everyone of those guys are big contributors to their teams success except for Kellen Winslow and Anthony Becht. That is a pretty good success rate for first round TEs.

And which one of these guys has a SB ring, Heath Miller and Ben Watson and he was on IR. Gobzo in 1997, gee you would think seeing that TE was such a need position and important to a team, surely KC would have a ring by now!

What I'm arguing with you about it I think a great TE is as important to a team as their cheerleaders. Really good ones are fun to watch but not important to winning the SB and I would WASTE a day 1 pick on one! Sorry just my opinion.

kgun12
03-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Great commentary...I am assuming you dont like any of the free agency moves because you have never heard of any of these players on ESPN, but by all means please elaborate what about this you do not like.

As to addressing the line, please tell me who on either line is worth taking at 8. Nagata isnt a Perry Fewell type DT, trade down and take Broderick Bunkley, I can see that, but you dont pass up a chance to take a game changer like Davis.

I should have made it clear that my first choice is Vernon Davis, not Huff or Jimmy Williams. Also Da Brick is a no brainer if he is available, just figure there is ) chance of that.

For the THIRD TIME now I have said to address and fix both the DL and OL...through both FA and the draft.

As a matter of fact I said that we should address the DL and the OL with 3 out of first 4 picks, and also they should be addressed with our first Free Agency moves.

So in summary I said we should devote one second rd both third round picks, and also at the very least two free agency moves to addressing the OL/DL. I said we should spend our first pick on either Huff or Davis.

I have also said that I would take DaBrick first no question if there was someway to do it.

It seems therefore to me that I am placing heavy emphasis on fixing the lines. Im not sure what you are arguing with me about.

Oh yeah and Tony Gonzalez was the #13 pick overall in the first round of the 1997 draft.

You say in one post "I should have made it clear that my first choice is Vernon Davis" and then you ask what I arguing with you about... Drafting a TE on the fist day!!!

Marvelous
03-08-2006, 12:41 AM
We have a center already Ice. Duke Preston get's his shot. Getting a top notch center in the draft or mainly FA is a luxery. I'd love Mawae or Bently but they don't wanna come here unless we pay big.

*Imo it's been waaay to long since we've had a TE that can stretch the field. ESP since our QB situation is struggling. A stud TE would be a great dumpoff for our QB's... I think we should be more active in free agency then years past so we can BPA in teh draft or get Davis. TE in the 1st is a luxery too imo when you have as many team needs as we do. Like SS,NT,LG,#2 or #3wr. Are we gonna resign that loingsnapper who went to the probowl? If not that's another team need.

mysticsoto
03-08-2006, 08:53 AM
And which one of these guys has a SB ring, Heath Miller and Ben Watson and he was on IR. Gobzo in 1997, gee you would think seeing that TE was such a need position and important to a team, surely KC would have a ring by now!

What I'm arguing with you about it I think a great TE is as important to a team as their cheerleaders. Really good ones are fun to watch but not important to winning the SB and I would WASTE a day 1 pick on one! Sorry just my opinion.

The only reason I wouldn't mind Vernon Davis as our 1st pick is b'cse I realize that with so many holes, there is no way we become a super bowl calibre team in 1 year. For that reason, I am willing to get a player that could be an impact player once we get a good team going. We will fill all our holes eventually, but if we grab the best player available when we can, that position will be locked for years. So for example, we should be able to get a top OG in the 2nd round and a decent strong safety in the 3rd to replace Milloy. Now, DT will need to be addressed in FA but may not be top notch???

Then next year, we look at our weaknesses that we still have (perhaps a top WR in the 1st rd, a top DT in the 2nd round, free safety in the 3rd) and that should round about fill us out. We may get lucky with lower rounds, but I wouldn't count on/expect it.

You can try and plan to be a playoff team in contention this coming year, but we don't have a crazy amt of salary cap due to Moulds and Williams' cap hits. I wonder if that then forces us down a mediocre path for the next few years instead. If that is the case, should we prefer to have mediocre years where we are knocked off the 1st rd of the playoffs if we even barely make it, or do we prefer to get players that are top of the line but then have another year to give our young players experience (JP, baker, gates, leonard, new draftees) and then next year...complete closing most of the holes we have with top notch draftees. I look at the Chargers and I feel that's what they have done. They were at the bottom for some time and now (with a little help of the Giants) have moved up to a strong team who probably should have made the playoffs last year if it hadn't been for the extremely tough schedule that they had.

And of course, now, with the salary cap possibly going away, that may be a new wrench thrown into this whole scenario...

eyedog
03-08-2006, 09:45 AM
blakely, where do guys like you come from ?
As soon as you said you wanted to draft a t-end or a d-back at # 8 I know you don't know what your talking about and you lose all credibility.
As for Espn and college players, I won't even go there with you since I'm pretty sure I watch more college football then anyone else on this board.
And yes Ngata is the pick, if he is still there. And I've seen him play more than the 2.5 quarters of their bowl game against Oklahoma, unlike most here.

TigerJ
03-10-2006, 11:54 AM
The odds of either Mario Williams or D'Brick being available at #8 are slim to none, but if it happens you have to flush you first round draft plans down the proverbial toilet and take whichever one is available. Given that the odds of that are indeed slim to none the Bills pick will be one of three players: Huff, Davis, and Bunkley. If it's Bunkley, I'd prefer to see Buffalo trade down to make it. That would not surprise me.

I suspect Wroten is not on the Bills draft board at all. There are other good, quick smallish DTs who don't have to consider themselves lucky to escape a drug rap.

mysticsoto
03-10-2006, 12:45 PM
The odds of either Mario Williams or D'Brick being available at #8 are slim to none, but if it happens you have to flush you first round draft plans down the proverbial toilet and take whichever one is available. Given that the odds of that are indeed slim to none the Bills pick will be one of three players: Huff, Davis, and Bunkley. If it's Bunkley, I'd prefer to see Buffalo trade down to make it. That would not surprise me.

I suspect Wroten is not on the Bills draft board at all. There are other good, quick smallish DTs who don't have to consider themselves lucky to escape a drug rap.

That looks about right to me. We may know more once FA begins and we see what holes we have to fill and what remains open. My guess is we will grab a DT or two and maybe a WR to replace Moulds with. I'd still love the idea of trading NC for a #1 pick, but I don't know if the Giants are willing to bite anymore.