PDA

View Full Version : Which Super Bowl loss was hardest for you

northernbillfan
01-30-2003, 02:44 PM
For me it was the first game against Dallas SB XXVII.

That was a point for our team to finally show redemption, after the close games against NYG and Wash. We thought it would be nice to finally win one, especially against Americas Team.

What's yours?

justasportsfan
01-30-2003, 02:54 PM
Giants. Hurts to lose by a missed field goal and to a backup qb at that.

blcny
01-30-2003, 03:15 PM
the first one always hurts the most

RedEyE
01-30-2003, 03:19 PM
XXV ~ definitly. By the time SB XXVIII came around, I was already expecting heart break.

Valerie
01-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Whichever one was against the Redskins. I hate them so much and it killed me to see them win! I won't tell you who I rooted for in the other three Super Bowls. :gag:

northernbillfan
01-30-2003, 03:47 PM
Jaded, that would have been Super Bowl XXVI.

I agree that the first one was the toughest, then. But looking back on all of them, for me XXVII was the hardest loss.

Valerie
01-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Thanks, Northern!:peck: I should've known that. The first one was against the Giants (Norwide) and the last two were against my 'Boys. That leaves the second one against those damn, freaking Skins! Gosh I hate them!!!!!!

LtBillsFan66
01-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Wide right by far. :crylikelittlebaby:

SABURZFAN
01-30-2003, 04:43 PM
all of them

Billz_fan
01-30-2003, 05:03 PM
definatly XXV

We were watching in a small sports Bar in Seneca Falls NY. There were about 50-75 of us in there.

Most of us had some tears.

The Redsking game was tough to though, especially when the first half was full of mistakes and bad calls.

My biggest memory of that was Andre ripping his helmet off and jumping up and down. That about summed up that game for me.

The Natrix
01-30-2003, 05:39 PM
Giants without a doubt. Not so much because of wide right, but because in the last three we were clearly not the better team going in to each.

Mad Bomber
01-30-2003, 06:58 PM
NO QUESTION....XXV!

I was on my knees for that last field goal, and when Norwood missed it I smashed my head into my coffee table. Went to work the next day with a welt on my forehead.

Bufftp
01-30-2003, 08:06 PM
xxv the others just became a habit.

MissBuffalo
01-30-2003, 09:44 PM
The Giants. It was so close, the trophy was at their fingertips.:ill:

pmoon6
01-31-2003, 06:50 AM
XXVII, I went to a friends house,unfortunatly, she invited a bunch of her girlfriends who were all Cowboy fans.I had to serve chicken wings to the enemy and them listen to them squak about the Cowboys. That is my definition of hell.

Billz_fan
01-31-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by pmoon6
XXVII, I went to a friends house,unfortunatly, she invited a bunch of her girlfriends who were all Cowboy fans.I had to serve chicken wings to the enemy and them listen to them squak about the Cowboys. That is my definition of hell.

oh man !

Thats brutal, I woulda got one look at the situation there and bolted for the nearest bar ;)

THATHURMANATOR
01-31-2003, 10:28 AM
I could never watch a superbowl with anyone rooting for the other team against the bills. It would fing piss me off so much!

vabillsfan
01-31-2003, 11:05 AM
xxv easily. too many Giants fans at work and it was TOUGH to go back on Monday. Besides, we were the better team. Hard to lose when you get outcoached. Never should have come down to a last minute FG. I always said that he Hoss fumbled in the end zone on Bruce's sack and got 7 instead of 2 the game was over. No way the Giants would have come back from 17-3 but instead it was 12-3 right before halftime. We can only dream....

Earthquake Enyart
01-31-2003, 01:12 PM
If you are not properly lubricated, the first time can be very painful. Subsequent times can hurt as well, but generally are not as painful as the first time.

Ebenezer
01-31-2003, 01:12 PM
Hook the ball a little more to the left and we get a notch in the win column...It has to be 25.

shelby
01-31-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
If you are not properly lubricated, the first time can be very painful. Subsequent times can hurt as well, but generally are not as painful as the first time.

:eek:You know this BECAUSE..............????:scared:

I watched XXV surrounded by Giants fans. We should have won the championship......to this day, i pity Norwood, but i also would love to :chair: him.

LMB
01-31-2003, 02:19 PM
The Giants. It was our game. We had it won. God I hate Norwood.

Dozerdog
01-31-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by LMB
The Giants. It was our game. We had it won. God I hate Norwood.

What Norwood do to you? The guy missed at a distance that was on the edge of his range he missed from 47- not 27.

You want to blame someone? What about the defense? Baker's 3rd down conversion on 3rs and forever when he broke a dozen tackles- it would have ended a 12 minute drive at 5-6 minutes and forced the Giants to punt.

Or Kelly- No mike Vick by any stretch- he scrambles 3-4 times on that last drive and wasted a ton of time.

He did what kickers do 45% of the time from that range- miss. Our D 's sloppy tackling cost us the game.

Earthquake Enyart
01-31-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog

What Norwood do to you?

WHAT DID NORWOOD DO TO ME??!??!?!? :angry:

HE PUT A KNIFE THROUGH MY HEART!! I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING THE BILLS SINCE I WAS A YOUNG BOY, GOING TO THE ROCKPILE, AND FOR ONCE WE HAD THE BEST FREAKING TEAM IN THE NFL, FINALLY WORLD CHAMPS

Then we lost. :angry:

Ebenezer
01-31-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks EE...now I am depressed...

shelby
01-31-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

WHAT DID NORWOOD DO TO ME??!??!?!? :angry:

HE PUT A KNIFE THROUGH MY HEART!! I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING THE BILLS SINCE I WAS A YOUNG BOY, GOING TO THE ROCKPILE, AND FOR ONCE WE HAD THE BEST FREAKING TEAM IN THE NFL, FINALLY WORLD CHAMPS

Then we lost. :angry:

:pet:

:angry:ing sucked, didn't it?

The_Philster
01-31-2003, 03:50 PM
Good God people. It was at the outside of his range. He normally couldn't make that kick anyway. He put more into it to get the distance but he lost accuracy. No one who actually watched that game can really put the blame on Norwood. If you can, watch it again and take a look at all the :angry: missed tackles. If you want to blame one person, blame Dickerson. He was coaching the D-Line and they missed as many tackles as anyone. And considering he's so much of a buffoon he had no business in the NFL in the first place, it makes perfect sense to put the blame on him.
Sorry for the rant but it's pure unadulterated stupidity to blame someone for not doing something he couldn't do anyway. :rolleyes:

THATHURMANATOR
01-31-2003, 05:23 PM
I blame Norwood for the first loss.

BLeonard
01-31-2003, 11:03 PM
You want to get even sicker?? I have the game on tape... That kick missed by maybe 2 feet... Had they lined the kick up in the center of the field or on the left hash mark instead of the right, it would have been good.

BTW, I think that XXVIII was the toughest for me... I was in HS then and I'd say 90% of the school was picking the Chiefs to beat the Bills in the AFC Championship. Even the teachers were giving me crap about how the Bills were gonna lose. The week after was the greatest week in my H.S. career... Until everyone picked Dallas. Needless to say, the next morning, I started hearing it, and didn't stop hearing it until I graduated.

-Bill

Halbert
01-31-2003, 11:25 PM
The first one wasn't too bad because it was a great game and I knew it was basically a fluke that the Giants won. ***** happens.

The second one wasn't too bad because I knew when Leonard Smith went down and Bruce Smith was hobbled that our D was greatly weakened and fighting a uphill battle to beat a fully healthy and surging Skins team. Dwight Drane who?

The third was the killer for me. I despised the Cowboys and especially wanted to shut Michael Irvin the hell up. We actually dominated the first half and should have been ahead by more. Then the absolute last guy you would expect to fumble allowed the absolute last guy I would want to force a fumble do so and it gets returned for a TD. Fluke play at a fluke time caused by a fluke of a human being and everything changed.

I knew we'd lose the fourth one. By then the Cowboys were simply the most powerful team in NFL history. Somebody please shoot me.

Ingtar33
02-01-2003, 01:34 AM
The first is still too painful for me to contemplate... I still see that kick sailing wide right... the other 3... well, we might have been a better team for XXVI, but the Redskins will go down as one of the greatest teams ever to win the Super Bowl (I knew well before that game we would lose), and XXVII was also against a superior team, while XXVIII was against a similar team, it didn't really feel plausible that we'd win even at halftime for me. So XXV was easily the toughest to swallow.

Heck its 10+ years later and we all still cringe at the phrase "wide right...” and I know I still here it in my sleep.

The_Philster
02-01-2003, 04:08 AM
The 4th one was especially tough for me. I was at Tech School in the AF at the time in Wichita Falls (a former home of the Cowboys training camp) and for some reason, a lot of people I went to Basic with were Cowboys fans. I watched the game with one of them but we didn't talk any trash back and forth. But all week before it his one guy, Voss, was talking trash a lot. He even got down to saying he was gonna kiss my bare @$$ if the Bills one. At halftime, I went out in the hall and told him to pucker up. :chuckle: After the game, he came down to the room my buddy and I were watching the game in and started to bare his @$$ but I had to remind him I made no such promises or bets like he did.