PDA

View Full Version : Which college position turns out the most sure-fire NFL prospects?

Saratoga Slim
03-08-2006, 11:02 AM
I've been trying to decide which of the guys with the potential to be available to us at #8 have the best chance to live up to expectations. Most of this obviously has to do with an evaluation of the players themselves, but I'm curious if we can better predict success based on the positions that the prospects happen to play.

For example, it is obviously hard to predict stardom for a QB. There are more "sure-fire" college quarterback prospects that have busted than I can name. But the other positions are a little harder to sort out. My inclination is to say that top-tier running back prospects have a greater likelihood of panning out, while there seem to be a high number of highly-rated offensive lineman that have failed to live up to their hype (see Mike Williams, etc).

I'm looking for thoughts here, fellas. Is a star college linebacker more likely to succeed than a star college defensive back (Hawk v. Huff), or a star college TE more likely to succeed than a star DT (Davis vs Bunkley or Ngata).

This may be kind of academic, but hey, we really don't have much else to talk about at the moment.

Saratoga Slim
03-08-2006, 11:16 AM
As a corollary to this, I'm also interested in theories on other elements that might aid in the prediction of success (i.e. schools, conferences, relationship to current pros, name that rhymes with "Peyton," whatever).

hydro
03-08-2006, 12:08 PM
RB are a dime a dozen these days. No one shells out the money for RB because they usually only last 6-10 years on average and there is always someone in the draft that could pick right up where the other left off. Look at the Broncos, they have had a mutitude of RB and everyone has come in with success. I dont think that happens as much with anyother position.

justasportsfan
03-08-2006, 12:15 PM
RB are a dime a dozen these days. Yup, and it won't be long before qb's as well.

Gunzlingr
03-08-2006, 01:25 PM
where is the punter option?

Saratoga Slim
03-08-2006, 04:38 PM
oh yeah. forgot the kickers. sorry kickers.

The_Philster
03-08-2006, 04:43 PM
RBs are usually more able to contribute right away when coming from college to the NFL.....every other position, with the exception of kickers, needs more time to get used to the nuances of the pro game.