Good article about Turk Schonert

Schonert intrigued by QB battle

Bills assistant has been here before

By ALLEN WILSON
    News Sports Reporter
    3/8/2006
    Click to view larger picture
    James P. McCoy/Buffalo News
    Quarterbacks coach Turk Schonert will have a hand in choosing the starter.
    Turk Schonert just can't catch a break.
    The last time he was the Buffalo Bills' quarterbacks coach, the team was gripped by the highly publicized quarterback controversy involving Doug Flutie and Rob Johnson.
    In his return to Buffalo, Schonert inherits another unsettled quarterback situation with J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb vying for the top spot.
    "A lot of times that happens," Schonert said Tuesday. "Unless you've got a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning or some of those kinds of guys it's going to be a little unsettling. And anytime you don't win, it's going to be unsettling anyway whether you have a legitimate number one [quarterback] or not. "To me it's always intriguing. I don't mind coming in and having guys battle and compete. It seems that's how it's always been for me most of my career. Just about all the other places I've been to I've had this unsettled position, so it's not unfamiliar to me." Schonert said Flutie or Johnson was the clear No. 1 quarterback in each of the three years he coached them. Whether Losman or Holcomb will distinguish himself as the starter remains to be seen.
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

Re: Good article about Turk Schonert

interesting.....

"The negatives were he missed too many open receivers," Schonert said. "There were guys open and for whatever reason he missed them, so his accuracy has to get better. His footwork needs to get better with certain types of throws and just kind of experiencing the game and all the elements of it. Game management, what are you seeing, where your weaknesses are, all those types of things. He needs to store that information and draw from it."

Schonert is already familiar with Holcomb, who was a rookie in Tampa Bay when Schonert was the Buccaneers' quarterbacks coach in 1995. However, Schonert is still learning about Losman.

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by RedEyE
      interesting.....

"The negatives were he missed too many open receivers," Schonert said. "There were guys open and for whatever reason he missed them, so his accuracy has to get better. His footwork needs to get better with certain types of throws and just kind of experiencing the game and all the elements of it. Game management, what are you seeing, where your weaknesses are, all those types of things. He needs to store that information and draw from it."

Schonert is already familiar with Holcomb, who was a rookie in Tampa Bay when Schonert was the Buccaneers' quarterbacks coach in 1995. However, Schonert is still learning about Losman.
      Fact: holcomb starts for this team come September, get ready for another 5-11 season. Either JP steps up or we find a new QB.

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

Its funny how no matter which QB was starting we always started the game out with great success on Offense. But after the first or second drive we would just shut down.

I really think coaching had more to do with this than either of the QB's. Perhaps with new coaches JP or Holcomb can finally take off.

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

It is sure starting to look like the braintrust is pushing holcomb on the fanbase awfully hard. BTW...where is JP's interview? That's what I thought.

Comment

Working...
          X