PDA

View Full Version : Where the big money owners have a point....

Earthquake Enyart
03-09-2006, 08:16 AM
is why should they subsidize Ralph when he's not doing all he can to maximize his income? Why are stadiums named after Ralph and Paul Brown? Both teams could sell the naming rights and bring in more money.

That's one big, easy item. I'm sure the Blls could do a better marketing job in other areas as well to make more money.

casdhf
03-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Who'd wanna buy the rights?

Seneca Nation Stadium ?

ICE74129
03-09-2006, 08:19 AM
There are people willing to pay to have thier names put on the stadium

Earthquake Enyart
03-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Bobby Rich paid a million bucks, and that was in 1973.

EricStratton
03-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Naming rights are a drop in the bucket.

The Texans have the best deal at 10 million per year but most stadiums with names are in the 1.5 - 3 million range.

The Bills could get more revenue from the area but there are always going to be areas that can generate more then others. That's just the economic reality.

http://www.leagueoffans.org/nflnamingrights.html

Stewie
03-09-2006, 08:26 AM
seriously, do we really want the bills brought to you by *insertyourcorporationhere*

i'd rather ralph not have the 2 million bucks

mybills
03-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Does having your name on it, privatize it?

ICE74129
03-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Naming rights are a drop in the bucket.

The Texans have the best deal at 10 million per year but most stadiums with names are in the 1.5 - 3 million range.

The Bills could get more revenue from the area but there are always going to be areas that can generate more then others. That's just the economic reality.

http://www.leagueoffans.org/nflnamingrights.html

You are 100% correct. But why not try to get everything you can? Hell sell the naming rights 5 years for 10 mill to someone? Money is money. If we are in that bad a shape as a small market team, it is time to explore all possible ways to get extra funds.

EricStratton
03-09-2006, 08:44 AM
You are 100% correct. But why not try to get everything you can? Hell sell the naming rights 5 years for 10 mill to someone? Money is money. If we are in that bad a shape as a small market team, it is time to explore all possible ways to get extra funds.

I don't disagree, I just don't think naming rights are the savior people make them out to be.

And mybills, naming rights don't privatize the stadium.

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2006, 08:51 AM
seriously, do we really want the bills brought to you by *insertyourcorporationhere*

Why? Who cares

Earthquake Enyart
03-09-2006, 09:17 AM
I don't disagree, I just don't think naming rights are the savior people make them out to be.

A million bucks is a million bucks. It ain't chicken feed.

Most businesses are trying to maximize income and profit. In the current NFL collective, individual teams don't have to do that.

don137
03-09-2006, 09:56 AM
A million bucks is a million bucks. It ain't chicken feed.

Most businesses are trying to maximize income and profit. In the current NFL collective, individual teams don't have to do that.

I agree with EE...Selling the name rights provides at least another million per year. That can cover a lot of costs. Every little bit helps. Don't cry poverty and then be stubborn and be one of the few teams that don't sell the name rights of your stadium.

lordofgun
03-09-2006, 10:04 AM

Don't worry. You won't get it either way.

Stewie
03-09-2006, 10:06 AM
Every little bit helps, and yes, a million bucks goes a long way towards expenses. But not every marketing tactic is a good idea, even if it makes you money. Remember the wegmans/bills partnership? Neither side wanted to renew that contract. There must have been a reason. Plus, you have to consider your current partners. Would Choice One stop sponsoring their club if a different ISP put their name on the stadium?

Maybe Ralph just hasn't received an offer that makes business sense.

ICE74129
03-09-2006, 10:08 AM

I agree ES but naming rights can help fund upgrades and upkeep to the stadium. That saves the county, State and Ralph some money. Not a ton but say 1.5 mill per really does help.

Saratoga Slim
03-09-2006, 10:12 AM
In the end, its up to Ralph. Would he rather have 2M a year for naming rights, or have his name on the stadium? That'd be an easy one for me.

Pride
03-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I actually think of this a different way. Let's say that Verizon (based in buffalo if I am not mistaken) buys naming rights. Verizon Stadium! I like the name... and it gives us a non-mickey mouse sound. The fact that noone outside of Buffalo knows who Ralph Wilson is, actually hurts by us having Ralph Wilson Stadium. Very few people outside of buffalo could tell you the name of our stadium. Some old guys' name you may forget, but Verizon Stadium? Not so much... that is memorable!

Michael82
03-09-2006, 10:33 AM
I actually think of this a different way. Let's say that Verizon (based in buffalo if I am not mistaken) buys naming rights. Verizon Stadium! I like the name... and it gives us a non-mickey mouse sound. The fact that noone outside of Buffalo knows who Ralph Wilson is, actually hurts by us having Ralph Wilson Stadium. Very few people outside of buffalo could tell you the name of our stadium. Some old guys' name you may forget, but Verizon Stadium? Not so much... that is memorable!
Verizon Stadium? :ill:

If Ralph did that...they better get us a new JumboTron and some more videoboards/score boards all around the stadium.

Or maybe Wireless internet at each seat so we can keep updates on our fantasy teams. :naughty:

Pride
03-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Verizon Stadium really isnt that bad! It is a VERY recognizable name!

I think the video/multimedia side of things would in fact improve. And yeah, wireless access would be cool! So those of us with cell phones with internet capability could utilize it!

Michael82
03-09-2006, 10:37 AM
How about....

Golisano Stadium? :idunno:

Paychex Stadium? :puke:

Xerox Stadium? :no:

Wegmans Stadium? :scared:

Kodak Stadium? :rofl:

Bausch & Lomb Stadium? :ill:

M&T Bank Stadium? :shakeno:

Michael82
03-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Verizon Stadium really isnt that bad! It is a VERY recognizable name!

I think the video/multimedia side of things would in fact improve. And yeah, wireless access would be cool! So those of us with cell phones with internet capability could utilize it!
the more I compare it to other names that could happen....I like it, especially with the kind of other things that they could bring to their first ever stadium in their name. :dance:

LtBillsFan66
03-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Will the Bills get the money for renaming the stadium? Or the people who own the stadium (new york state, right?)?

chernobylwraiths
03-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Naming rights are stupid. A million extra bucks is a drop in the bucket to these guys anyways. Our downtown baseball stadium has had three names already. Pilot Field, North Americare Park and now Dunn Tire Park. That's a new name to remember every few years AND the added expense of putting up a new sign each time. The Arena has already had three names as well although the first one was only during construction Crossroads Arena, Marine Midland Arena and now HSBC Arena. Marine Midland became HSBC only about a year after purchasing the naming rights and on the building in concrete it had Marine Midland so there was more crap to go through. I just think the whole thing of naming rights for stadiums is stupid and I'm glad that some teams don't do it or at least don't seem to do it. I'm sure Chicago could get a good price for the naming rights but I'm glad that it is still Soldier Field and Lambeau in GB.

Mitchy moo
03-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Every little bit helps, and yes, a million bucks goes a long way towards expenses. But not every marketing tactic is a good idea, even if it makes you money. Remember the wegmans/bills partnership? Neither side wanted to renew that contract. There must have been a reason. Plus, you have to consider your current partners. Would Choice One stop sponsoring their club if a different ISP put their name on the stadium?

Maybe Ralph just hasn't received an offer that makes business sense.

What was that weenie thing called again? The whammy weenie or something?? it was like a green?

Dozerdog
03-17-2006, 10:11 AM
BillsZone.com Stadium?

Why not?

Philagape
03-17-2006, 10:19 AM
If it helps make the team more financially competitive and/or lessens the tax bite, I don't care if it's Al Bundy Stadium.

Mitchy moo
03-17-2006, 10:20 AM
How about....

Golisano Stadium? :idunno:

Paychex Stadium? :puke:

Xerox Stadium? :no:

Wegmans Stadium? :scared:

Kodak Stadium? :rofl:

Bausch & Lomb Stadium? :ill:

M&T Bank Stadium? :shakeno:

Seneca Nation stadium?

Philagape
03-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Geico Stadium ... We just saved a bunch of money on our free agents!

Jeff1220
03-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Do the Bills even have the right to sell the naming rights to the stadium? It doesn't even belong to them.

Michael82
03-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Geico Stadium ... We just saved a bunch of money on our free agents!
:lmao: