PDA

View Full Version : Eric Moulds

Don't Panic
03-09-2006, 10:50 AM
With the increased flexibility we now have cap-wise, as well as the room we should have next year, I think it makes the most sense to keep Moulds. My hope is that we can still restructure (albeit at much different terms than what was previously offered to Moulds from Marv). Moulds is still on top of his game... replacing him will not be an easy task. We can still bring his cap number down by 2-3 million and have ample space to go shopping. I just would like to see what Losman-McGahee-Moulds-Evans could do if they had soild line protection. I think that could be a very productive core.

Voltron
03-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Yes but that money may be better spent on a FA lineman. Lee is ready to be a #1 .. We can find a #2 in FA and we still have some good prospects in parrish, Anken, and we can resign Reed to a low contract. I think he has gotten a bad rep. Moulds had just as many key drops as Reed did. It just seems people give Eric a free pass due to his reputation. He is just to expensive when you look at his numbers vs his salary.

lordofgun
03-09-2006, 11:07 AM
ONLY if he takes a pay cut.

kgun12
03-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Here's the problem with keeping Moulds. He doesn't like JP and I don't think JP likes him. I think it would hurt us to have them together. Take the cap hit now, spend the extra money on some young talent and let's build forthe future. I just don't tkink that relationship can be fixed.

justasportsfan
03-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Here's the problem with keeping Moulds. He doesn't like JP and I don't think JP likes him. .

I don't think it's personal. He just didn't think JP was ready. Moulds will learn how to deal with things if he resigns with the team.

Mahdi
03-09-2006, 11:22 AM
I would be all for keeping Moulds. However, the fact that he wont take a paycut knowing that he clearly isnt worth the 11 million dollar cap hit tells me that he simply does not want to play in Buffalo anymore. Because the reality is, and he knows this as well, is that he wont get anything close to 11 mil in FA yet he is still willing to take that, if it means leaving the Bills. And the last thing the Bills need at this point is a player who doesnt want to be there. Not to mention what has already been mentionned, Moulds doesnt play for JP. I say use the cap space on someone else.

djjimkelly
03-09-2006, 11:25 AM
i think renegotiating figues have changed drastically in last day. so i think bills offer will change also. bills just need to figure how to shave about 2 mil off moulds cap this year. weather it be pay cut switching roster bonus into signing bonus or ill say it yes EXTENSION. and everything will be fine. i dont think this is a good year to be shopping for a wr to step right in and produce and im hoping LEVY feels same way. that 16 mil in space we have is more then enough to solidify both lines and get a SS

go bills we need to sign RYAN PICKETT AND TANK WILLIAMS as fast as possible. then GET the o line working.

ICE74129
03-09-2006, 11:32 AM
I am with LOG. Look there is a matter of principal here. Moulds is NOT worth an 11mill cap hit and over 7 mill in money this year. 6+ in base pay and a 1 mill reporting bonus.

We could have TO, Moss, Harrison, C Johnson for that kind of money. Look I am of the school you don't keep paying a player because of what he DID. What exactly will moulds do for us NOW and does it = an 11 mill cap number. No is the answer.

rschepise
03-09-2006, 11:32 AM
I think that you guys forget, that, as of now, JP Losman is not the starting QB. As of now, we have an open quarterback competition. There is a very good chance that Kelly Holcomb will be our starting QB. In case you guys have forgotten, I'll remind you; KH throws to Eric Moulds like every freaking play. Cutting Moulds may be disastrous if Kelly is the starter.

ICE74129
03-09-2006, 11:34 AM
I think that you guys forget, that, as of now, JP Losman is not the starting QB. As of now, we have an open quarterback competition. There is a very good chance that Kelly Holcomb will be our starting QB. In case you guys have forgotten, I'll remind you; KH throws to Eric Moulds like every freaking play. Cutting Moulds may be disastrous if Kelly is the starter.

If Kelly holcomb starts, we lose period. This QB competition is to get a fire under JP's but to get up to NFL Speed NOW or else. Marv MUST Bring in another, younger veteran in case JP doesn't get up to speed.

Unless our plan is to try and run against 8 in the box because no one fears a Kelly holcomb pass, Then we need a new QB if JP isn't it.

kgun12
03-09-2006, 11:41 AM

If think if you truely believe the is an "open competition" for the starting job your crazy! This is a smoke screen to make it look like JP won the job, because that was one of the main reason the vets disliked JP. He didn't earn the job it was given to him. He didn't have to work for it. It wasn't the right way to handle it. He has to be given a chance to show what he can or can't do for the whole year, so if he can't we have to look in another direction in 07. Next year is a building year for this team and 07 is the year we make a push for the playoffs, so people better hope JP has it or we start over then with another new QB!

TacklingDummy
03-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Unless our plan is to try and run against 8 in the box because no one fears a Kelly holcomb pass, Then we need a new QB if JP isn't it.

Now your making up stuff.

Willis ave. better numbers with KH playing then when JP played. Why? Because the Defense was stacking the line and taking are run game away because they knew with JP playing the Bills couldn't beat them with the pass.

The passing game averaged better number with KH playing then when JP played.

If there were so many people in the box, how come KH only got sacked 14 times to JPs 26?

JP made this offense look a hell of alot worse then it really was.

ICE74129
03-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Now your making up stuff.

Willis ave. better numbers with KH playing then when JP played. Why? Because the Defense was stacking the line and taking are run game away because they knew with JP playing the Bills couldn't beat them with the pass.

The passing game averaged better number with KH playing then when JP played.

If there were so many people in the box, how come KH only got sacked 14 times to JPs 26?

JP made this offense look a hell of alot worse then it really was.

How many fumbles lost for holcomb? No one blitzes him because his passes are so easy to pick off.

TacklingDummy
03-09-2006, 11:51 AM
How many fumbles lost for holcomb? No one blitzes him because his passes are so easy to pick off.

You mean the same amount of Ints that Losman threw? Lets not forget how many times Losman threw the ball right into the defenders hands only to be dropped.

ICE74129
03-09-2006, 11:54 AM
You mean the same amount of Ints that Losman threw? Lets not forget how many times Losman threw the ball right into the defenders hands only to be dropped.

Your boy holcomb won't start. It's either JP or a FA.

TacklingDummy
03-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Your boy holcomb won't start. It's either JP or a FA.

Holcomb is really not my boy, I just think he's better then JP. But Holcomb also blows. The Bills dont have a QB.

kgun12
03-09-2006, 12:07 PM
For good, bad or indifferent JP HAS to start. Unforetunetly we are in the same spot we were in with Johnson and Flutie and like that situation the right decsion is to go with the young guy. Stronger arm legs and more UPSIDE, and before we get into the whole johnson/Flutie deal REMEMBER Flutie went 5-11 his first year with the Chargers and LOST 9 straight at the end of the year. OK back to why, like I said before we are gearing up for 07. We have to see if JP is the guy, cause at Holcoms age, weak arm and his inmobility, which is only going to get worse, we have to have a strong QB then. I'm not saying JP is the man, But we have to find out one wau of another, we have invested to much not to!

ICE74129
03-09-2006, 12:15 PM
For good, bad or indifferent JP HAS to start. Unforetunetly we are in the same spot we were in with Johnson and Flutie and like that situation the right decsion is to go with the young guy. Stronger arm legs and more UPSIDE, and before we get into the whole johnson/Flutie deal REMEMBER Flutie went 5-11 his first year with the Chargers and LOST 9 straight at the end of the year. OK back to why, like I said before we are gearing up for 07. We have to see if JP is the guy, cause at Holcoms age, weak arm and his inmobility, which is only going to get worse, we have to have a strong QB then. I'm not saying JP is the man, But we have to find out one wau of another, we have invested to much not to!

Outstanding post. If they dont' feel he is the guy, then bring in another vet ASAP. To be totally honest....It wouldn't shock me to see Moulds take a paycut if they agree to try and bring in Brees. We have 16 mill now. Get moulds to free up 2 mill, waive his bonus for another mill and hand a 6 mill per contract to brees. We still have 13 mill to shore up parts of this team. Will it happen? I seriously doubt it, but I could see moulds taking a flat cut to have a guy like Brees in here.

mybills
03-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Here's the problem with keeping Moulds. He doesn't like JP .
link?

don137
03-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I like Moulds but teams with so many holes can't afford a 10-11MM salary cap hit on a player in the twilight of his career.

djjimkelly
03-09-2006, 01:26 PM
enough with the 10-11 mil cap hit as on now ONLY THING THAT NEEDS TO BE KNOWN

is moulds worth 5-6 mil for bills this year or no.

becuz 11 is a joke. 5.5 of that is dead cap if released.

ICE74129
03-09-2006, 01:33 PM
enough with the 10-11 mil cap hit as on now ONLY THING THAT NEEDS TO BE KNOWN

is moulds worth 5-6 mil for bills this year or no.

becuz 11 is a joke. 5.5 of that is dead cap if released.

True but we gain 5.5 or so for cutting him. We are carrying about 8 mill in dead cap. We cut moulds it is 13 mill. We gain all of that back next year + the 7 mill increase.

ScottLawrence
03-09-2006, 01:56 PM
I am with LOG. Look there is a matter of principal here. Moulds is NOT worth an 11mill cap hit and over 7 mill in money this year. 6+ in base pay and a 1 mill reporting bonus.

We could have TO, Moss, Harrison, C Johnson for that kind of money. Look I am of the school you don't keep paying a player because of what he DID. What exactly will moulds do for us NOW and does it = an 11 mill cap number. No is the answer.

Moulds is still a very productive reciever, still one of the best possesion recivers in the NFL.

Go look at his numbers when Holcomb started, you put his numbers with Holcomb into 16 games, he winds up catching more balls then the guy who was #1 in the NFL this year.

ScottLawrence
03-09-2006, 01:59 PM
If Kelly holcomb starts, we lose period. This QB competition is to get a fire under JP's but to get up to NFL Speed NOW or else. Marv MUST Bring in another, younger veteran in case JP doesn't get up to speed.

This statement still makes no sense.

We managed to pass the ball better with Holcomb in the game rather then when Losman played, so your "8 in the box" theory is moot.

ICE74129
03-09-2006, 02:04 PM
This statement still makes no sense.

We managed to pass the ball better with Holcomb in the game rather then when Losman played, so your "8 in the box" theory is moot.

Holccomb is a career loser. I have posted this FACT in depth. 3-4 as a bills starter. First year rookie QB Losman 2-7. Apperantly that 10 + years in the league didn't do much for your boyfriend. Neither did sitting for 5 years in indy.

Jeff1220
03-09-2006, 03:11 PM
I thought this was supposed to be a Moulds thread. :headscrat

djjimkelly
03-09-2006, 05:34 PM
True but we gain 5.5 or so for cutting him. We are carrying about 8 mill in dead cap. We cut moulds it is 13 mill. We gain all of that back next year + the 7 mill increase.

and if we keep him him and cut next year he would be less of a dead cap approxiametly 2.5-3 mil so regardless this to me is a matter of is eric moulds worth 6 mil to 2006 bills and if not what is the plan for wr otherwise. a response of soem other wr dont cut it for me. moulds with missing one full game and 3 quarters of another one still was 15th in receptions in 2005. so add in those 2 games add in owens into top 15 moulds would be in the 12-13th range for number of receptions in whole league

ICE74129
03-09-2006, 05:38 PM
and if we keep him him and cut next year he would be less of a dead cap approxiametly 2.5-3 mil so regardless this to me is a matter of is eric moulds worth 6 mil to 2006 bills and if not what is the plan for wr otherwise. a response of soem other wr dont cut it for me. moulds with missing one full game and 3 quarters of another one still was 15th in receptions in 2005. so add in those 2 games add in owens into top 15 moulds would be in the 12-13th range for number of receptions in whole league

No he is not worth it. His cap number is too big period. I heard through the grape vine that if they can't work a trade then they will cut June 1st so they can prorate it over 2 years. But who the hell knows.

TacklingDummy
03-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Holccomb is a career loser. I have posted this FACT in depth. 3-4 as a bills starter. First year rookie QB Losman 2-7. .

Bills are 4-4 when Holcomb starts and 1-7 when Losman starts. It's a FACT, look it up.

And here's a opinion. If KH was named starter from the start of the season, the Bills might have won 6 of the 8 games he didn't start. (Houston, Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, NO. Miami) They were in every one of those games without getting muchproduction out of the QB position.

Mr. Cynical
03-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Moot point. He's gone. And that's a good thing.