PDA

View Full Version : If you're Ralph Wilson...

Drive 4 Five
03-09-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm trying to understand Ralph Wilson's opposition to the new CBA. Here's the way I understand it. The Buffalo Bills are close to the bottom of the league in terms of capital gain. Right? So if you're Ralph Wilson, how does an ever growing salary cap benefit you when you're forced to shell out more and more money every year to compete for greedy ass players like Owens and Alexander?

The fact that the salary cap grew by approximately ten million dollars for the 2006-2007 season really helped out the teams like the Washington Redskins, who nearly had to cut half their roster to fit under the previous cap. So now those teams are rewarded for mismanagement of their salary cap? That does not make sense to me?

While Dallas, Washington, or New England may not have a problem with an elevated cap every year as they have the money to compete, that certainly does not help out the small market teams like Buffalo and Cincinatti. So if you're Ralph Wilson, how does this help you? And some of you are bashing him for opposing?

The NFL is a business. The majority of the owners do not give a damn about you the fan. Interesting that it was the Raven's owner who played an integral part of developing the plan that was eventually agreed upon, the same owner who sold out and pulled his team out of Cleveland in the middle of the night while their beloved fans were asleep. Could you imagine what that would feel like?

The truth of the matter is that Wilson is still one of the few who actually does care about the fans and their communities. How else do you explain the fact that despite the team being near the bottom financially, the Bills have one of the lowest ticket costs, in the entire league, in nearly all of professional sports? Yet you're going to sit here and complain that he is nothing more than a bumbling old fool.

Shame on you. You should be glad that Buffalo even still has a team. Because the truth of the matter is that you too could lose your team someday and that day may be sooner than you think.

socalfan
03-09-2006, 08:33 PM
The Bills are not at the bottom of the league for revenue generation. They are in the middle of the league. There are 17 teams that bring in more revenue than they and there are 14 teams that bring in less revenue than they.

I don't think this will be true for long. Some of the teams at the bottom are building new stadiums..like the Cardinals and Colts.

Jeff1220
03-09-2006, 08:59 PM
The Bills are not at the bottom of the league for revenue generation. They are in the middle of the league. There are 17 teams that bring in more revenue than they and there are 14 teams that bring in less revenue than they.

I don't think this will be true for long. Some of the teams at the bottom are building new stadiums..like the Cardinals and Colts.

I know, the talking heads keep mixing up the terms "low-revenue" and "small market".

AndreReed83
03-09-2006, 11:50 PM
I can understand why he said no. If you owned a big business or franchise and you had a proposition that basically determined your business model for the future, and you didn't understand it, you would turn it down. He should have had someone, or they should have someone there who could explain it to him better.

Drive 4 Five
03-10-2006, 09:13 AM

Ok. I stand corrected. Still, the point is, Buffalo is not considered one of the more lucrative franchises. Right? So how does it benefit you if the salary cap gets larger and larger every year meaning you have to dish out more and more money while you're not making the BIG money that teams like Dallas and Washington.

That's what I meant. People are acting like Ralph Wilson is this disgraceful, foolish, senile owner and I was just expressing that it is unjustified. Then when he has to raise ticket, parking and concession prices, people complain about that too. What gives?

Pride
03-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Just to correct you, it was the colts that packed up in the middle of the night on mayflower trucks when they left baltimore for indy

Modell moved the browns to baltimore, and everyone knew it was going to happen for about 6 months.