Vanderjagt to be a FA? He goes off on the colts..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Vanderjagt to be a FA? He goes off on the colts..

i would not mind having him here... he really spoke the truth in this article.. good stuff.. unless your a colts fan.

Vanderjagt dumps on Dungy, Manning
    Jan. 28, 2003
    The Canadian Press

Indianapolis Colts kicker Mike Vanderjagt says star quarterback Peyton Manning must show more emotion, coach Tony Dungy is too nice and many players on the NFL team lack passion.

"I'm not a real big Colts fan right now, unfortunately," the Canadian kicker told The Score, a Toronto-based cable sports TV network. "I just don't see us getting better."

The 10-6 Colts finished second behind Tennessee (11-5) in the AFC South Division. But Indianapolis's season ended with an embarrassing 41-0 road loss to the New York Jets in the AFC wild-card game.

Manning struggled against the Jets, completing 14-of-31 passes for 137 yards and two interceptions. The loss dropped Manning's NFL post-season playoff record to 0-3, which Vanderjagt says lends credibility to the talk that Manning can't win the big game.

"I think there is some validity to it," Vanderjagt said. "All week before the Jets game I'm like, '(No.) 18, we're going to handle it, me and you we're going to win this game.' And he's like, 'Yeah, yeah, OK.'

"And I'm like, 'Peyton, show some enthusiasm, you're the quarterback and we need to win this game.' I just don't see it from him."

Vanderjagt, from Oakville, Ont., said the Colts' offence desperately needs a fiery, smashmouth leader.

"We need somebody who is going to get in people's face and yell and scream," said Vanderjagt, who helped the Toronto Argonauts win consecutive Grey Cups (1996-'97) before joining the Colts in '98. ``I've gone over there to the offence and said, `Come on.'

"They're just like, `Mike, go sit down. You're the kicker.' I have more emotion probably than anybody. I want to win, I want to win bad. When I miss a field goal I bang my helmet because I hate being imperfect and I can't tolerate watching 11 guys just walk off the field after you get stuffed and really show that you don't care. That is frustrating to me."

In his first season with Indianapolis, Dungy transformed the team into a playoff squad after it missed the post-season last year with a 6-10 mark. But Vanderjagt feels Dungy is too laid back to make the Colts a Super Bowl contender.

"Coach Dungy, he's just a mild-mannered guy," Vanderjagt told The Score. "He doesn't get too excited, he doesn't get too down and I don't think that works either.

"I think you need a motivator, I think you need a guy that is going to get in somebody's face when they're not performing well enough. Peyton and Tony are basically the same guy. They work hard, they mark their Xs and Os and go out and execute. If it doesn't happen, there's nothing we can do about it."

Vanderjagt signed a $7.75-million US, five-year contract extension with the Colts in November 2000 that at the time made him the NFL's highest-paid kicker.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • SoCalBillsFan
    Expert on Experts
    • Jul 2002

I dont think so. He signed a 5 year deal before last season, and he's the most accurate kicker in the league. THey'll keep him. He apologized today.

however if somehow he did become a free agent I'd want him.

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

How is his leg strength? I don't see any reason to change unless we can get a guy who is both accurate and can put the ball in the end zone on occasion.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• lordofgun
        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

I like what he said. It's true from what I've seen.

BTW, when are we going to re-sign Hollis?

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

Hollis is good but we need a buy that can bang a 55 yarder it can really make the difference in a game.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Didn't Hollis bang in a 54 yarder against the Vikes?
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2002

If I'm Peyton Manning, I beat the snot out of him the next time I see him.

If I'm Polian, I'd have cut him already.

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
                Expert on Experts
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                not really. It was a 53 yarder that dinked the front of the corssbar and went it. DOn't get me wrong, it was a good kick, but not a bag.

Comment

• BigDoug
                  1-800-SAD-GOAT
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  No, but TH banged a 15 yr....

Comment

• LABillsFan
                    • Aug 2002

I believe that accuracy from 35-50 is what the Bills will need from their kicker. If you're kicking 55 yarders on a regular bases, it's not a kicker you need, it's an offense that can move the ball. The Bills have the offense and a solid kicker.
                    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BigDoug

No, but TH banged a 15 yr....
                      Big Doug
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                        Sab and TD are insignificant
                        • Sep 2002

Actually, that was a 58 yarder that Hollis nailed (barely).

I'm content with Hollis.

MV will want too much money for only being a kicker.

If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it. If it is broke, quit lollygaggin' around, and get it fixed - why the hell didn't we bring in a DT last year to compliment PW?
                        www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                          • Oct 2002

How about his missed kick I think it was 2 years ago in PO that lost the game for the Colts. That was talked about on NFL2nite along with this whole mess.

I wouldnt want him here. If he isnt happy with the Colts he wont be Happy here. Plus he would want to much money.

He is a kicker and he should just shut up.

Comment

• RedEyE
                            • Jul 2002

Whats up with all the mouthy kickers latley? Nedney in the playoffs talking about how he should be an actor after his football career is over (after that fake fall against the Steelers). The Gramatica boys getting into it with the jackass from Carolina, and now this with Vanderjag-off.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                              • Aug 2002

Ever the more reason to keep Hollis. He is proven, he is accurate, he came cheap and he KNOWS he is on a team that can go to the Super Bowl with a few additions. Vanderjack has been kicking in a dome and is not used to the weather, why would you want him. Sign Hollis for what he is, an accurate, favorably priced kicker that can make a difference.
                              I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X