X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Bills Interested in S Marlon McCree

The Bengals are serious about trying to upgrade the safety position.

Since 3:15 p.m. today, agents for former Buffalo safety Lawyer Milloy and former Carolina safety Marlon McCree confirmed that their clients will be visiting Cincinnati.

Carl Poston, Milloy's agent, said Milloy would arrive tonight (Saturday) in Cincinnati before heading to Atlanta for a second free agent visit. A spokesman in the office of Gary Uberstine, agent for McCree, said McCree is in San Diego visiting the Chargers and that, if McCree doesn't sign quickly in San Diego, he would be headed to Cincinnati. The Giants and Bills also are interested in McCree, the spokesman said.

Breaking Cincinnati news, traffic, weather and local headlines from The Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills Interested in S Marlon McCree

Come on Cincy, sign Milloy. And hopefully McCree will get out of San Diego without a deal.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

why doesnt mcCree excite me..

what did he really do for carolina? it is not like he is an all pro or anything right? is he really and upgrade over milloy.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka

what did he really do for carolina? it is not like he is an all pro or anything right? is he really and upgrade over milloy.
        Here's his stats....

27, Marlon McCree, S, Carolina Panthers
        Height: 5-11 Weight: 202 Experience: 5 years
        Born: 3/17/1977 Birthplace: Orlando, FL College: Kentucky

Career Defensive Stats
        YearTeamGTackAsstSacksYdsIntYdsTDPDFFFR
        2001Jac1333131.06.01100322
        2002Jac1656151.00.0612901100
        2003Jac2110.00.0000000
        2003Hou1334160.00.01951400
        TOTAL1535170.00.01951400
        2004Hou162220.00.01240300
        2005Car1673140.00.037301001
        Totals76219612.06.01233113123

http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/p...ts.asp?id=5681

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Here's what the ESPN expert says about him and he is rated a 70.

McCree has very quick feet and adequate size. He can run with most backs and tight ends in man-to-man coverage and can play over the top in Cover 2. He reads the eyes and throwing motion of quarterbacks effectively. He gets great breaks and has a nose for the ball. He has good awareness in coverage and rarely makes a mistake. He has a great special-teams mentality. He has good body control and takes good pursuit angles. He is comfortable playing in the box and is an aggressive hitter. He can accelerate off the edge and do some damage on the blitz but sometimes will get bounced outside. He can get too aggressive and sometimes overrun the ball. He winds up in some mismatches with lead blockers and linemen in run support.

Get a complete list of all the NFL free agents, their grades and ESPN's expert analysis on their future prospects.

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

not really feeling him..

tell me he has some great upside or something..
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Interesting, he's a solid Cover 2 guy. I'm intrigued with him.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

Im not all that excited about any of the people we are looking at. Im so ****ing tired of being a crappy team with no balls.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka

He's about the same but a little better and younger. He'll be 29 this year. Milloy is turning 33 this year.

I still prefer Adam Archuleta or Tank Williams though.

Comment

• DBrown77
                    Watching the Bills suck since 1999
                    • Mar 2005

i watched McCree a lot down here in Charlotte. I would take him for avg $$. He came up with the big play many times this year

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

I heard he already signed a deal with Buffalo worth $60 mil for just two years.

Comment

• Slim
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by RedEyE
                        I heard he already signed a deal with Buffalo worth $60 mil for just two years.

Comment

• don137
                          • Jul 2002

I like McCree. He is not a stud but I really never heard of him before last year and he really stood out at a few Panthers games I watched. I was very impressed with him.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

McCree I could pass on unless its to replace Vincent, Id rather grab a big DT and just draft Huff, he's got tons of upside!
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mikey82
                              He's about the same but a little better and younger. He'll be 29 this year. Milloy is turning 33 this year.

I still prefer Adam Archuleta or Tank Williams though.
                              The problem with Archuleta and Williams is that they are more "in-the-box" type safeties, like Milloy, than they are the type of cover safety that you need in the Cover 2 defense. Both have been known to struggle in pass coverage--Archuleta has something like 5 times the number of career sack than interceptions.

The Panthers drafted Thomas Davis, a hard-hitting safety out of UGA, last year to replace McCree. Davis was horrible in coverage and was benched after the Saints' TE caught a half a dozen passes on him in less than a full game. McCree took over and remained their starter for the rest of the season and their defense immediately improved in pass coverage.

McCree is something like the opposite of Archuleta and Williams: not a great tackler or blitzer--he's not a guy you'd look to add to a fantasy football roster--but is solid in pass coverage. He strikes me as the kind of guy that Marv Levy would probably take a good look at as a free agent: not a flashy player, but a solid veteran role-player who will come in and do his job so that the play-makers and stars of the team can get the headlines.

Roy Williams, he's not. But he fits the system, has been around awhile and has played on a tough, winning defense.
                              Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

Working...
                              X