03-11-2006, 03:08 PM
FIVE YEAR 10 MILL 2.5 MILL SB....THEY MUST REALLY LIKE THIS GUY

BMAX

gr8slayer
03-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Wow this sucks so bad.

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 03:09 PM
as hard as i try.. i cant get excited about this signing in the least.. i mean seriously.. the guy had 190 yards in a season as a career high.. wow.

campbell owns him.. lol.

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 03:11 PM
FIVE YEAR 10 MILL 2.5 MILL SB....THEY MUST REALLY LIKE THIS GUY

BMAX

that has to be a joke right?? are you serious?

oh my ****ing god..

saggy nuts of mary mother christ.

AndreReed83
03-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Doesn't the article just say Royal visits the Bills?

gr8slayer
03-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I am seriously ****ing pissed off.

AndreReed83
03-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I didn't see the VERY TOP OF THE ARTICLE. lol

casdhf
03-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Well, no one can ***** we're not doing anything.

camelcowboy
03-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Bills | Royal agrees to a five-year deal
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:06:54 -0800
Adam Schefter, of the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl">NFL Network, reports the Buffalo Bills (http://www.kffl.com/team/9/nfl) have reached agreement with free agent TE Robert Royal (http://www.kffl.com/player/1946/nfl) (Redskins) on five-year, $10 million deal that includes a $2.5 million signing bonus

YardRat
03-11-2006, 03:17 PM
So much for Davis in the first round, for those of you who were hoping.

Mr. Miyagi
03-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Let me get this straight.

We badly need two DTs, a OT, a guard, a center, safety, and probably even a DE.

So we jump out of the FA gate and sign a TE? A backup one for that matter?? WTF??

Bmax
03-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah .. we are going oline or dline in rd one for sure....

Bmax

casdhf
03-11-2006, 03:23 PM
I don't think this guy is much of a blocker either

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:28 PM
What the **** is Marv and Tom Modrak thinking?!?!? :scratch:

This is nuts! $2 million a year and a 5-year deal for a guy that has been a backup TE for the Redskins and isn't a good receiving threat??? :ill:

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:29 PM
I don't think this guy is much of a blocker either
no, thats what he is really good at. He's a solid run blocker. But sucks at pass catching. :ill:

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 03:29 PM
god.. i am trying to hold back the rage i am feeling in my head right now.

i guess i really wanted davis first off.. and although this scrub is no where close.. we paid him about the same as a first round TE..

on top of that.. to watch the browns go out and sign two guys that would have helped so much.. grrrr.. it just kills me..

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 03:30 PM
no, thats what he is really good at. He's a solid run blocker. But sucks at pass catching. :ill:

um.. so basically he is mark campbell..

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:32 PM
um.. so basically he is mark campbell..
yup, and costs more. :ill:

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:33 PM
yeah we can. This would be considered not doing anything. :ill:

camelcowboy
03-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Maybe they think they can turn him into a tackle like peters :down:

Mr. Miyagi
03-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Please at least tell me that he has a picture of Marv in a compromising position or something.

gr8slayer
03-11-2006, 03:36 PM
I am freaking raging right now.

mysticsoto
03-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Let me get this straight.

We badly need two DTs, a OT, a guard, a center, safety, and probably even a DE.

So we jump out of the FA gate and sign a TE? A backup one for that matter?? WTF??

My sentiments exactly! This is about the dumbest thing they could do. Campbell was released b'cse he was making too much at $1.5 million and then they go ahead and pay $2 million to an unknown who hasn't done *****???\

On 2nd thought, let's move Levy back to coaching and get a new GM. I liked Ingtar's ideas. I vote for him to be GM...or Clump!!!

capitolneal
03-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Much better blocker than Mark Campbell he is also a back up to Cooley not to bad of a TE I like the move if we are " still a power running team"

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:40 PM
My sentiments exactly! This is about the dumbest thing they could do. Campbell was released b'cse he was making too much at $1.5 million and then they go ahead and pay $2 million to an unknown who hasn't done *****???\

On 2nd thought, let's move Levy back to coaching and get a new GM. I liked Ingtar's ideas. I vote for him to be GM...or Clump!!!
maybe these numbers are bogus. I hope to God they are. :pray:

camelcowboy
03-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Much better blocker than Mark Campbell he is also a back up to Cooley not to bad of a TE I like the move if we are " still a power running team"

He's a real receiving threat.:(

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 vAlign=top><TD>RECEIVING</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 vAlign=top><TH>Year</TH><TH>Team</TH><TH>G</TH><TH>GS</TH><TH>No</TH><TH>Yards</TH><TH>Avg</TH><TH>Lg</TH><TH>TD</TH><TH>20+</TH><TH>40+</TH><TH>FD</TH></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>2002</TD><TD>Washington Redskins</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>---</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg3><TD>2003</TD><TD>Washington Redskins</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>48</TD><TD>9.6</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>3</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>2004</TD><TD>Washington Redskins</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>9</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>70</TD><TD>8.8</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>6</TD></TR><TR class=bg3><TD>2005</TD><TD>Washington Redskins</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>131</TD><TD>7.3</TD><TD>29</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>8</TD></TR><TR class=bg4><TD>TOTAL</TD><TD></TD><TD>35</TD><TD>29</TD><TD>31</TD><TD>249</TD><TD>8.0</TD><TD>29</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>17</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Dozerdog
03-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Before everyone has a **** fit- how much of this is backloaded?

If it's cheap up front and backloaded, it's not the worst deal in the world.

TacklingDummy
03-11-2006, 03:48 PM
LMAO, waste 2 million a year on a TE who most people never heard of but yet cut Sam Adams, a DT that we need, who makes 3.5 million.

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 03:51 PM
i thought sam adams saved us 5 million... not that i wanted him to be cut.

and washington drafted cooley because royal wasnt good enough as a starter..

even if it is backloaded.. it is still gay.

Mad Bomber
03-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Why didn't we just keep Campbell?
:wtf:

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:53 PM
The Redskins fans don't have many really bad things to say about him....

Basically, there are a ton of jokes about his bad hands and how he couldn't catch a cold. Why would we want another TE like that? :ill: :(

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147781

Good for him. Thats alot for him, don't you think?

WTF?!?!?!????

$2.5m guaranteed for Robert Royal... ? I guess Old Man Wilson really did sleep a lot through those meetings.

Royal is good, but not quite worth that much.

Royal was decent. His pass-catching was inconsistant (COUGH COUGH CHARGERS GAME) and his blocking was sub-par, but he was a good guy.
Best of luck but I'm not losing any sleep over him leaving.

Well, good for Royal and best of luck to him. He always tried to give his best here and really was a team player. I predict a good run for him in Buffalo.

Are you ****** serious ??????? Robert Royal is not even close to being worth that much of money . But he was a Redskin , so im happy for him.

Royal was a lively body in the lockerroom. He and Washington would sing and have fun after wins. Not sure he was a "leader" but he was liked and kept things light. He's a good guy with a nice career. But, we will be going with a lot of three receiver looks next year and tight end won't be a position on the field that often OTHER than Sellers and Cooley would be my guess.

Before people start busting on him, he had 2 bad games this year. Other than that, he has been a solid player. Good luck in Buffalo Royal.

That's too bad. I liked Robert Royal as a blocking TE.

Good Luck in Buffalo Robert.

Good guy with bad hands and I don't remeber him being great with regard to run blocking. Good luck if this is accurate.
HTTR!

Good luck to RR in Buffalo. I liked him as a guy, and he came through in a couple situations last year, but I'm glad it's someone else spending that money on him and not us!

Wow. That's a lot for a guy who gets the dropsies way too often.

The funny thing is that could be their only big splash in free agency.

We have planes flying around the country picking up guys, and they sign Robert Royal and call it quits.
BASTARD. :mad:

best of luck to royal in buffalo wish we coulda kept him but for that price its a little high, we need to bring in a solid blocking te now.

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Why didn't we just keep Campbell?
:wtf:
Good question. I would've preferred him. :sigh:

Bmax
03-11-2006, 03:55 PM
i really feel campbell never fully recovered from his knee injury in 2004...

the bills needed insurance and marv hates rookies...

Bmax

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:56 PM
i really feel campbell never fully recovered from his knee injury in 2004...

the bills needed insurance and marv hates rookies...

Bmax
and this guy does seem like the kind of player that Marv likes. Fan friendly and no off-field issues.

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 03:57 PM
yeah.. they are all real upset.. the overall consensus is that we overpaid by giving the guy more than 12$ and a pack of smokes.

the salary better be league minimum for the first 4 years.

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:59 PM
yeah.. they are all real upset.. the overall consensus is that we overpaid by giving the guy more than 12$ and a pack of smokes.

the salary better be league minimum for the first 4 years.
Yeah it better. :pray:

Mahdi
03-11-2006, 04:04 PM
There must be some logic to this signing considering he was the first FA they met with, I just cant wait to hear what it is.

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 04:05 PM
mikey, do you care to find out what royals stats were at LSU.. i would be interested to see if he has ever had more than 190 yards in any season.

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 04:06 PM
i am sure they feel he is the next antonio gates..

Mahdi
03-11-2006, 04:08 PM
mikey, do you care to find out what royals stats were at LSU.. i would be interested to see if he has ever had more than 190 yards in any season.
Royal finished his college career at LSU with 59 receptions for 707 yards (12.0 avg) and seven touchdowns while starting 24 of 42 games. Royal's career reception and yardage totals rank third in LSU history among tight ends, while his TD total of seven ranks second.

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=33137

Michael82
03-11-2006, 04:11 PM
COLLEGE:
Royal finished his college career at LSU with 59 receptions for 707 yards (12.0 avg) and seven touchdowns while starting 24 of 42 games. Royal's career reception and yardage totals rank third in LSU history among tight ends, while his TD total of seven ranks second. As a senior, he was an All-SEC first-team selection and earned second-team honors from the Associated Press. He also received the Eric Andolsek Leadership Award for his performance and was one of three team captains for LSU. In the SEC Championship against Tennessee, Royal caught 2 passes for 17 yards. He hauled in two catches for 15 yards and a seven-yard touchdown in the Sugar Bowl against Illinois. Royal tallied 80 tackles and five sacks at defensive end his senior year at Karr (New Orleans, LA) High. Primarily a blocker, he also posted nine catches for 177 yards, an average of 19.7 yards per catch during his senior season.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3635

gr8slayer
03-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Wow. Well so far Marv falls under the "I suck as a GM catagory"

Michael82
03-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Here's his draft profile....

Two-year starter and All-Conference selection as a redshirt junior. Senior totals were 18/224/12.4/1 in 12 games after 22/340/15.5/5 the prior year.
Complete tight end prospect effective both catching the ball and blocking. Breaks down well, strong at the point of attack and turns opposing lineman out run blocking, easily handling one-on-one assignments. Displays adequate footwork in pass protection, stays square and shows good arm punch. Patient, blocks with leverage and works well with his tackle. Fluid releasing off the line of scrimmage, adjusts to the errant throw and extends his hands, catching the ball away from his body. Finds the soft spot in the defense, comes back to the ball and makes himself an available target. Not quick off the snap into his blocks, lacks speed and as a pass catcher and best in the short to intermediate field as a receiver. Times poorly in the forty and does not play much faster. Could be a solid player for a team that does not want its tight end to make many plays down the field and asks him to play within himself. Lack of speed will most likely knock him out of the first day but could see significant action as a rookie and eventually break into a starting lineup. Early Fourth Round.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2002/draft/players/32842.html

gr8slayer
03-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Maybe someone can explain something to me? How does this signing make us a better team?

TacklingDummy
03-11-2006, 04:23 PM
JP can have a bet with Royal, like he did with Campbell, that he will catch atleast 40 balls.

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 04:26 PM
well could be worse I guess he is a young big TE that was a starter on a team with the # 6 rushing attack in the NFL last year

If they sign Triplett today that would be a young DT who has starting experience in a cover 2 defense coached by the master of the cover 2 Tony Dungy

RedEyE
03-11-2006, 04:26 PM
How do Redskin fans get onto us for overpaying players? Perpelxing.

At least now when I scream at the TV "That sucks royal..", this move gives it merit.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Please at least tell me that he has a picture of Marv in a compromising position or something.

I dont care who you are.. thats funny:lol:

RedEyE
03-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Royal finished his college career at LSU with 59 receptions for 707 yards (12.0 avg) and seven touchdowns while starting 24 of 42 games. Royal's career reception and yardage totals rank third in LSU history among tight ends, while his TD total of seven ranks second.

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=33137

Hey Mahdi,

I saw the Senators annihalate the thrshers last night at Philips Arena. At least the beer helped make the game interesting.

Good to see Varada on the ice again :up:

casdhf
03-11-2006, 04:33 PM
well could be worse I guess he is a young big TE that was a starter on a team with the # 6 rushing attack in the NFL last year

If they sign Triplett today that would be a young DT who has starting experience in a cover 2 defense coached by the master of the cover 2 Tony Dungy

I agree with playa.

I think it shows they wanna get back to running the football.

The Natrix
03-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Never heard of him. :::

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Royal has good overall athletic ability but only above average speed and quickness. He is a position blocking tight end and short to intermediate receiver. He has a good motor, plays hard and he works to sustain his blocks. As a blocker, he is not your prototype TE who is going to knock you off the ball rather he is going to shield you off and use his hands to get separation from the defender. He does a nice job on sealing off on his backside blocks. He takes good angles off the ball to get to the second level and he is effective on his combination blocks. Although he is a willing blocker, he is not physical and he does not play with a mean streak. He plays too high and he does not have good leverage and power. He has a narrow base, he lacks lower body strength to get movement at the point of attack and he will get knocked back at times. As a receiver, he gets off the ball quickly, he runs good routes and he finds the soft spot in the zone. He has good hands, he will adjust to the ball in the air and he will make the hard catch. He can puck the ball, he will lower his shoulders and he has decent run after the catches ability. However, Royal does not have the overall speed to stretch the secondary and he is most productive on short to intermediate routes. He is a short strider and it takes him awhile to get to top speed and he is not a home run threat. He is not crisp out of his breaks and can not create good separation from linebackers and safeties. Overall, Royal lacks big play ability and he is not an overpowering drive blocker but he is still young and he has the tools to develop.

Scumbag College
03-11-2006, 04:52 PM
What a waste...especially with the quality and depth of TEs in this year's draft.

Mahdi
03-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Hey Mahdi,

I saw the Senators annihalate the thrshers last night at Philips Arena. At least the beer helped make the game interesting.

Good to see Varada on the ice again :up:
Well they didnt annihalate them too bad. 3 goals in the first, then nothing after that. That game WAS boring wasnt it. Yeah Varada is ok. I just cant wait for Havlat to come back.

Philagape
03-11-2006, 05:01 PM
When you discount the salary, which is pretty high if it's not backloaded, this is not a bad signing. His receiving stats are irrelevant because obviously he's going to be a blocker, which we need. Sounds like he'll be an upgrade over Campbell in that regard. Everett and Euhus will be our pass-catchers. I'm not too happy about the contract either, but remember we can always cut him if he doesn't work out.

Question for draft gurus ... could Leonard Pope fall to us in the 2nd round? Good pick there if he does?

!Papacrunk!
03-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Devin is the LSU guy, he should be able to give the strongest opinion I would think. DOn't worry peeps, new place new team etc.

RedEyE
03-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Well they didnt annihalate them too bad. 3 goals in the first, then nothing after that. That game WAS boring wasnt it. Yeah Varada is ok. I just cant wait for Havlat to come back.

That game was over before it got started. The Thrashers looked pitiful and didn't have but 5 total shots on net halfway through the 2nd period. I think the Senators actually slapped the puck through the crease almost 40 x.

Dozerdog
03-11-2006, 05:03 PM
I doubt the Bills draft a TE now.

kgun12
03-11-2006, 05:11 PM
I doubt the Bills draft a TE now.

I was going to say a lot of people wanted a TE

WELL YOU GOT ONE!!!

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 05:13 PM
bottom Line on this signing I think he is an upgrade over Campbell he is younger, has more potential and I would tend to guess his cap hit this year is less than what Campbell would have gotten, may not be the big "name" everyone wants, but overall it makes the team better

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 06:06 PM
actually.. i wouldnt be surprised if we draft vernon davis..

marv and ralph will have totally forgotten who they signed by the time the draft rolls around..

Mr. Cynical
03-11-2006, 08:17 PM
So basically if this is a sign of the signings to come, we can start to put the pieces together as to why the Bills have been so bad for so long.

It wasn't just TD.

Looking back, the only time the Bills's franchise was ever "really good" was because of Bill Polian. Who was the one who pushed Polian out?

I'm sensing a trend here.

TedMock
03-11-2006, 08:23 PM
I am totally fine with the signing of Royal. He's a run-of-the-mill, everyday, average receiving TE who will never put up big numbers. However, he's also a very good run-blocker which tells me that maybe we'll start looking to pound the ball harder. He's 260 lbs, and will be 28 at the start of the season, so he's not "old." Nothing to get too excited about, but not a bad signing if we're looking to run the ball better this year.

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 08:45 PM
So basically if this is a sign of the signings to come, we can start to put the pieces together as to why the Bills have been so bad for so long.

It wasn't just TD.

Looking back, the only time the Bills's franchise was ever "really good" was because of Bill Polian. Who was the one who pushed Polian out?

I'm sensing a trend here.

:rofl:

so your already ok with TD now.. you want him back.. it wasnt his fault.. you must have wasted 100000 pages of typing text bashing him, and all it took was on TE signing and your moving the blame to someone else..

wow

:spade:

Philagape
03-11-2006, 10:43 PM
I am totally fine with the signing of Royal. He's a run-of-the-mill, everyday, average receiving TE who will never put up big numbers. However, he's also a very good run-blocker which tells me that maybe we'll start looking to pound the ball harder. He's 260 lbs, and will be 28 at the start of the season, so he's not "old." Nothing to get too excited about, but not a bad signing if we're looking to run the ball better this year.

:bf1:

Kerr
03-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Good blocker for the line. No more, no less.

Mitchy moo
03-11-2006, 11:51 PM

seems like a good pickup to me.

i remember when they ******d about teppo numem...

Mr. Cynical
03-12-2006, 12:01 AM
:rofl:

so your already ok with TD now.. you want him back.. it wasnt his fault.. you must have wasted 100000 pages of typing text bashing him, and all it took was on TE signing and your moving the blame to someone else..

wow

:spade:
Dude, please show me where I said I was "ok with TD now" or that "I want him back" or that I was "moving the blame to someone else"? I said, "It wasn't just TD". Meaning...he sucked AND it is becoming clear that another FO member sucks too.

Ralph Wilson.

He seems like a nice guy and deserves alot of credit for building up the team in a small market, but it's becoming clear he peaked with Polian.

So actually it is me who is calling a :spade: a :spade:.

Mr. Cynical
03-12-2006, 12:09 AM
actually.. i wouldnt be surprised if we draft vernon davis..

marv and ralph will have totally forgotten who they signed by the time the draft rolls around..

Given this post, I would think you'd agree with my post about RW (and ML, by association). They don't have it anymore. Jauron? Please. First FA signing a backup TE? Great. What's next....a new waterboy who serves quality H20?

Try as I might there is no way to get excited about the future of the Bills at this point.