PDA

View Full Version : Larry Tripplett, Andre Davis and Robert Royal all in Buffalo today!

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:19 PM
VCOACH BILLS:
Free Agents WR Andre Davis (New England), TE Robert Royal (Washington), and DT Larry Tripplett (Indianapolis) are visiting One Bills Drive today.

Griz78
03-11-2006, 03:21 PM
We need Tripp set!

camelcowboy
03-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Tripplet is ok, Davis is not needed, another short receiver. Antonio Bryant would be awesome.

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:22 PM
I'd take Larry Tripplett. He's a pretty good DT and young too.

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Here's what the ESPN Expert says about him...

Tripplett has adequate size to play inside on the defensive line and has very good overall athletic ability. He has very good initial foot quickness and has a good explosive get off. He shows that he is capable of getting into the running lanes and being disruptive. He has above average strength and uses his hands well to disengage from blockers. He does an excellent job in stunts and twists and also has the agility to be effective dropping in the zone blitz. He has good lateral movement and has good body control and change of direction skills. He does a good job with play recognition and in re-directing to the ball. He fights hard to get up-field and gives a fairly consistent effort in chase. While he has good quickness off the ball, he tends to come off high and is not effective in holding the line of scrimmage versus the double-team block. He has improved a great deal in his ability to use a variety of pass rush techniques. He is a little inconsistent in his ability to finish, however, he is capable of getting a good push on the pocket. He has developed a bit of a nasty attitude, competes hard and is an aggressive hitter when he gets to the ball carrier.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=3570

Bmax
03-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Davis is 6-1.. good deep threat....Please sign Larry Triplett.....Davis would be good for us ...Better than Aiken and reed....

Bmax

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 03:34 PM
davis is not short.. i dont know where you got that camel.

he is a speed demon.. i am pretty sure he still has the fastest 40 in virginia tech history.. he was a good wr for us (vtech).. i really liked him.

he got slowed down by injuries in cleveland but showed flashes.. i followed him pretty close.

i am really surprised that he is not staying in NE.. especially since they are losing givens..

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 03:35 PM
if we could sign tripplet and pickett..

i will stop feeling this rage from the royal signing.

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:36 PM

Me too. Or maybe Tripplett and Bernard. :drool:

gr8slayer
03-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Ill take Davis and Trip. Royal can go to hell for all I care.

camelcowboy
03-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Me too. Or maybe Tripplett and Bernard. :drool:

Hutchenson, I heard the new CBA, makes the transition tag pretty much useless.

Mr. Miyagi
03-11-2006, 03:38 PM
I bet we grab Archuleta. He sounds like Marv's kinda guy.

camelcowboy
03-11-2006, 03:41 PM
I bet we grab Archuleta. He sounds like Marv's kinda guy.

He won't get out of chicago

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 03:53 PM
how many concussions has archuletta had?

Michael82
03-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Hutchenson, I heard the new CBA, makes the transition tag pretty much useless.
I'd rob the bank for him. :drool:

Saratoga Slim
03-11-2006, 04:07 PM
how many concussions has archuletta had?

I don't know, but last time we had a safety with a "gazoo" helmet we went to the Super Bowl four times in a row. I'll throw my chips in on that!

I'm not really all THAT down on the Royal signing. We needed at least one TE who can block on the roster, and he allegedly has some upside potential. I know why no one is cheering though, you kind of like to see things start with a bang. nobody would have complained about Royal being signed if we had some more exciting FAs locked up already.

Bmax
03-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Hey at least they came to the B-LO on a beautiful day....Sunshine and 55 degrees...

Next friday back to winter cold and flurries 31...we better bring them in soon...before our spring snow blitz..

Bmax

DraftBoy
03-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Sign Trips, Davis, and Pickett!!

Bmax
03-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Triplett will be the most expensive player for us to sign..The dt from the ravens got 23 mill over 5 with 8 mill sb.. I'm betting it will cost us at least 3-4 million a year....

Bmax

patmoran2006
03-11-2006, 05:49 PM

Tatonka.. I think we'll sign of them, likely Tripplet... I think now its pretty obvious that either Bunkley or Ngata is now our first pick.. We can forget about Vernon Davis (I'm pretty disgusted about this)..

And we're already looking at safeties so I dont think Huff is at the top of Buffalo's board either.

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 05:54 PM
This article which talks about Huff also, talks about how you dont need a Huff in a Cover 2 scheme so dont expect him in Buffalo
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=hornofplenty&prov=tsn&type=lgns

"The history at that position, you see guys make the Pro Bowl who were midround draft choices, even free agents," Texans general manager Charley Casserly says. "You don't see that so much at quarterback, running back, offensive tackle. People don't force that (safety) position into the first round."
Blame Tony Dungy for that.
Dungy didn't single-handedly invent the cover 2 coverage scheme, but he and coordinator Monte Kiffin crafted it into a nearly impenetrable net in Tampa. Dungy's defensive success in Indianapolis last season has even more teams copying the system. Safeties might thrive in the cover 2 -- ask the unheralded Dexter Jackson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4763/), who won a Super Bowl MVP award with the Buccaneers three years ago -- but generally are considered interchangeable parts. "With two-deep schemes, the safeties are well off the ball," Casserly says. If that is your base coverage, why pop a first-round draft choice on a position you could adequately fill in the third or fourth round? Or find somewhere else on your roster? One recent trend is to convert aging, slowing corners into safeties. Rod Woodson was the model, an All-Pro at both positions. Troy Vincent (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/2225/), Ray Buchanan and Marcus Coleman made similar moves.

DraftBoy
03-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Tatonka.. I think we'll sign of them, likely Tripplet... I think now its pretty obvious that either Bunkley or Ngata is now our first pick.. We can forget about Vernon Davis (I'm pretty disgusted about this)..

And we're already looking at safeties so I dont think Huff is at the top of Buffalo's board either.

I respectfully completely disagree, we are looking at top DT and 2nd and 3rd tier S's which says to me we plan to use our top pick more so on CB/S than on a DT, rather take somebody in rd3 and 4 and give them a shot than spend big money on two DT's.

DraftBoy
03-11-2006, 05:56 PM
This article which talks about Huff also, talks about how you dont need a Huff in a Cover 2 scheme so dont expect him in Buffalo
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=hornofplenty&prov=tsn&type=lgns

"The history at that position, you see guys make the Pro Bowl who were midround draft choices, even free agents," Texans general manager Charley Casserly says. "You don't see that so much at quarterback, running back, offensive tackle. People don't force that (safety) position into the first round."
Blame Tony Dungy for that.
Dungy didn't single-handedly invent the cover 2 coverage scheme, but he and coordinator Monte Kiffin crafted it into a nearly impenetrable net in Tampa. Dungy's defensive success in Indianapolis last season has even more teams copying the system. Safeties might thrive in the cover 2 -- ask the unheralded Dexter Jackson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4763/), who won a Super Bowl MVP award with the Buccaneers three years ago -- but generally are considered interchangeable parts. "With two-deep schemes, the safeties are well off the ball," Casserly says. If that is your base coverage, why pop a first-round draft choice on a position you could adequately fill in the third or fourth round? Or find somewhere else on your roster? One recent trend is to convert aging, slowing corners into safeties. Rod Woodson was the model, an All-Pro at both positions. Troy Vincent (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/2225/), Ray Buchanan and Marcus Coleman made similar moves.

Read it from The Sporting News today, lets not forget Huff plays CB also and we will likely lose Nate next season.

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 05:56 PM
The Bills have ton of cap room next year they will lock Nate up long term

Dozerdog
03-11-2006, 05:59 PM

Not to pick on ya Pat- but this is a CLASSIC example of falling in love with certain players and running your team lans around that. It's a recipie for disaster.

Unless you have the #1 overall pick- you can't build your team with a person in mind for your first draft pick. What happens if you pass on guys with Davis in mind as your pick- only to see Oakland **** you over and make him a suprise pick?

You have to approach the offseason with an eye to fill as many holes as possible so when it's your turn to pick- it leaves the door open to be flexible enouh to adapt to who's left on the board.

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Id like to see this guy drafted in mid to late rds by the Bills he is a player and I think will make a great SS in the NFL

<TABLE class=yspwhitebg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=ysprow2 vAlign=top><TD>Scott Ware</TD><TD>S</TD><TD>6-2</TD><TD>215</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Kerr
03-11-2006, 06:03 PM
I would love davis. He has speed and made a lot of big plays for tom brady. Sign him Marv.

Tatonka
03-11-2006, 08:10 PM
i will be honest.. and i know i know.. numbers for a DT are not everything.. but for a DT in a cover 2 defense.. they mean more than in a role like fat sam played.. tripplett didnt have half the numbers that pickett had last year.

also, judging from the interview.. marv basically said, the next DT we get needs to be a fat guy that can run... so maybe it is ngata after all. or possibly gabe watson.

L.A. Playa
03-11-2006, 08:14 PM
i will be honest.. and i know i know.. numbers for a DT are not everything.. but for a DT in a cover 2 defense.. they mean more than in a role like fat sam played.. tripplett didnt have half the numbers that pickett had last year.

also, judging from the interview.. marv basically said, the next DT we get needs to be a fat guy that can run... so maybe it is ngata after all. or possibly gabe watson.

Triplett rotated with Montae Reagor and Corey Simon last year so that would hurt his #'s

feelthepain
03-11-2006, 08:16 PM
I think Tripplett was a depth signing only.